Outstanding Wayfarer
chrispratt24

Live services taking long time to access

I bought at TomTom Go Live 1005 a couple of weeks ago while away on holiday in Cornwall.  Got it back to our holiday cottage, turned it on and within a couple of minutes it had connected to Live services and updated traffic.  I was incredibly impressed.  As a previous owner of a GO 510, this model was a huge step up and I am delighted with the whole device experience, UNTIL I connected to the computer and linked it to my existing Tom Tom account. (Maybe that's just coincidental)

I updated it to the latest software and maps (which failed on the Mac - but worked fine on Windows - so Windows it is!).  I live in Bridgend in South Wales and regularly give my other half a lift to work in Cardiff.  This is a journey of approximately 20 miles, but at rush hour I use the Tom Tom for the HD traffic.  Or at least I would if I could get it to connect.  Two days ago - I was 5 minutes from home on the return journey when it finally showed me the traffic.  It took 50 minutes to find it!!  It has done this again this morning, the same scenario - although slightly quicker today by about 5 minutes.

I went to Bath yesterday and it took till the Severn bridge to connect to traffic.  On arriving in Bath and doing what I needed to do, I turned it on for the return journey and it seemed to connect in a matter of a couple of minutes.  Turning it off and back on again it seemed to connect ok.  I then reached Newport in South Wales and the spinning circle appeared and continued until I got home (40 minutes).  From this I can only deduce there's an issue with HD traffic connection in Wales.

I have linked my Tom Tom to my old Tom tom account.  When the unit is connected to live services - accessing things on Live are quick (even when in Wales) - suggesting that it may actually be something it's trying to do on initialisation to the server that's causing it (although why it connected quicker over the water I have no idea).  If I go into Settings -> Status and Information -> My Services it lists HD traffic at the top (with a year left to run) - then underneath Traffic - which I had on my TomTom GO510 which ran out in 2008.  Could it be something to do with that trying to connect?

I have entered my correct email and password into Settings->MyTomTom account and (when live is connected) within a matter of seconds it comes back and says the password and username were accepted. 

I've powered it up several times this morning at my house, inside and outside and every time it takes at least half hour to connect, but when connected services seem quick enough to respond.

Should I create a NEW MyTomTom account separate from my other so no old services are taken into account?  In fact, can I actually do that or now I've linked the device will there be a problem? - Might just try that now anyway.

Message 1 of 216 (2,444 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
chrispratt24

Re: Live services taking long time to access

After reading some of the FAQs on the website I cam across an explanation of checking the network.  Settings->Status and Information->Version Information->Network.  I can now see the Network has 3 bars of signal (out of 5 I would have thought this adequate)  but it remains on Status: CONNECTING... for a very long time - 20 minutes so far...........

Message 2 of 216 (2,436 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
unhappy

I live in Newport and have the same problem it takes up to 15 mins to start working and again traveled to Bath where it worked as soon as I turned it on when I was returning. It must be the signal I understand vodaphone manage the connection 

Message 3 of 216 (2,412 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

hi guys just seen another post from a cardiff user having the same issues,might be worth a call to cs if nothing else they can be made aware to the problem,

0845 161 0009 Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st go live 1000 (dead)
second go live 1000 (dead)
current go live 550 alive and doing what the 1xxx/2xxx/ vias should be doing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 216 (2,396 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
chrispratt24

Thanks dazza.  Just found the post and replied to Sky_Lord on that post linking to here also.

I sat on the phone for 15 minutes trying to get through to CS yesterday, with no joy.  Had to go out, so couldn't hang on the phone too long.  Will hopefully make some progress next week.

Had the unit 2 weeks.  If traffic is unreliable here, it's useless to me.  I'll report back any progress I make.

Incidentally what I put in my other post on a test I ran last night was:

"yes I am having trouble connecting around Cardiff.  My unit is new, and so I thought it was how I set it up/tomtom account being an old one from an old unit.  Have since started a new account.  I did an experiment last night and drove to cardiff from Bridgend and back again.  I turned the go 1005 on on the Settings->Status and Information->Version Information->Network screen.  Full signal virtually most of the way.  Sometimes it would connect within 30 seconds.  I would then power cycle the device and if it took longer than 5 minutes to connect would power cycle again.  I would say out of a 50 minute journey with 10 (ish) power cycles, maybe 4/5 times (I was just judging, not really counting specifically) it connected quickly, and conversely about 6/7 times took at least the 5 minutes.  I call 5 minutes unacceptable."

Message 5 of 216 (2,387 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Sky_Lord

Hi Chris. Just seen your post thanks for the info. I'm glad it's not just me. This problem started around 3 or 4 weeks ago with my GO live 950 which suddenly stopped connecting to live. Normally down Cardiff bay or anywhere really it would connect in a min or 2 tops. So replaced with a 1000. Turned it on and it worked straight away on Penarth Road where I bought it from Halford. It was updated and linked to my account but since when itry to connect in Cardiff it does not want to know until I get on to the M4 on junction 29 then it connects. When I leave work in Bristol it connect ps within a minute.

I have changed the unti already and I cannot see that it is the unit that is broken since it connects fine elsewhere and it cannot be anything to do with our accounts otherwise this problem would be happening everywhere.

It's annoying and I have told CS.
Message 6 of 216 (2,358 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Sky_Lord

A further update. My partner has a TomTom GO Live 750 and that is also not connecting to Live in South Wales but will when she is moving away from Cardiff towards the Severn bridge, it also say around 4 bars on the signal strength.

Clearly there is a problem in the area and it's not something that's always been here. This problem in the South Wales area started around 4 to 5 weeks ago because our TomToms would connect within a minute or 2 and now it is basically when we get out of the area some 40 minute drive away.

We have just driven back from the Valleys down to Cardiff and it didn't connect then. Please sort it out TomTom, we are paying for this this service and for some reason over the past month it has stopped working in the south Wales area.
Message 7 of 216 (2,341 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Glyndwr182

Hi all,

I have just read your comments regarding connecting to Live and can add to this information oly to report that I am having the same kind of problems as you my device will connect imediately sometimes and then not at all. I live in the East of Newport Post Code NP19. I will contact CS tomorrow in the hope of getting something done. I will report back when I have something more to say. O my TomTom Live 1005 just decided to connect after 15 mins ;-)

Message 8 of 216 (2,333 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
chrispratt24

Hi All,

Yes, that's what I've found in my testing.   

Repeatedle turning on and off reveals sometimes a connection immediately and more often than not at least 15 minutes - and anything up to 60 minutes to connect otherwise.  It seems very hit and miss.  Ironically - once it has established a connection retrieving services is no problem at all.

I have only had my GO 1005 2 weeks and am considering returning it unfit for purpose, I need traffic and unfortunately 15 minutes and my daily journey is half way through, so too late for traffic updates at that point!!  

If, as Sky_lord has said - the issue has been there for 4-5 weeks now, it worries me that Tom Tom have not addressed it.

Some kind of official response to this would be nice.

If I get time this week I'll try and ring CS and see how far I get.

Cheers

Message 9 of 216 (2,323 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Glyndwr182

Hi all,

Have been in touch with CS regarding above matter. The lady who dealt with the enquiry says she has never heard of this problem but she would refer it. I suggested that they might like to at the forum to see that there are others with the same problem. She took details and seemed to suggest that a certain number of people needed to report the fault directly to CS in order for them to look into the matter in depth. I for one have now logged this with them. It is probably wise to make the point that it is in South Wales between Bridgend and the Severn Bridge that it seems to be prevailant.

Message 10 of 216 (2,309 Views)
Please use plain text.