tpw
Master Explorer
tpw

Live Services is a real disappointment

Am I alone here?  I have found the TomTom Live Services to be a real disappointment.  For the past 3 to 4 months, connection times during the weekday morning and evening rush hours has consistently been over 25 minutes.  Often times never connecting before the end of my commute.  I won’t be renewing this service.

Message 1 of 517 (8,175 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,291
Solutions: 537

Re: Live Services is a real disappointment

My one usually connects within a minute or two. Sometimes I got the LIVE up and running, even before I get a satellite lock.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 517 (8,159 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Explorer
PODMAN

I have the same problem in the DC area. This is becoming unacceptable. Hey Zsolt where do you live? Anywhere near a major city?
Message 3 of 517 (8,140 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,291
Solutions: 537

Downtown London/UK. Just been out and today actually took around 2-3 minutes.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 4 of 517 (8,138 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Silvia

Hello,

here in Germany (Düsseldorf) it takes 1-2 minutes to get the Live Signal.

GPS Signal is often slower present.

- Silvia

Message 5 of 517 (8,133 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Explorer
PODMAN

I read on the Tomtom discoussion board that in London they limited the geographical area(smaller KM area) that is updated and that sped up the traffic update. I wish they would do the same in major US cities as this seems to be an ongoing complaint.
Message 6 of 517 (8,132 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
DCTomTom

Yes - in Washington DC - TomTom cannot download HD Traffic during rush-hour.

What is the best way to get TomTom to address this issue?

Message 7 of 517 (8,114 Views)
Please use plain text.
tpw
Master Explorer
tpw

I live in Orlando, Florida.  Seems to be a rush hour issue.  This morning it never connected.  Came home tonight at 9pm an it connected right away.  Same on the weekends, typically get a connection within a minute or two.  Seems as if they just don't have sufficient server capacity to handle demand.

Message 8 of 517 (8,103 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

Twenty-five minutes connection time is certainly not normal. If it were taking twenty-five minutes on a regular basis (or even once a week) I would not be paying for my subscription! I would consider two or three minutes to be closer to a maximum acceptable delay (and even three minutes is still not optimal, in my opinion). In fact, after a reset or application update, I frequently get a LIVE Services connection before I get a GPS satellite fix.

If it's taking longer than five minutes, I would suggest the following:

1) Have you connected to MyTomTom recently? Is your application up to date for your device?

2) Try a soft reset, by holding down the power button until you hear a drum beat (then release it immediately).

Please indicate what devices are being used in any future responses, since LIVE Services are available on older GO and XL devices, as well as newer GO LIVE devices. These may be using MyTomTom or TomTom Home for updates, depending on the model.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 9 of 517 (8,098 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Explorer
PODMAN

I am using 2535M Go Live. I do a soft reset on the order of 2-3 times a day thinking that will help. But to no avail. Of course I connect the computer to the GPS. I just did it 2 weeks ago for the leap year issue.

I am able to download my weather report in less than 5 seconds but the traffic takes forever(with the ball spinning and spinning). This tells me there is an issue with Tomtom servers and not the AT&T conncection. What say all of you?

Message 10 of 517 (8,083 Views)
Please use plain text.