Novice Explorer
hnaparst

Re: How do I buy LIVE services?

So it seems this was the correct answer.  All the LIVE services are bought through the TomTom GPS itself.  Clicking on the map, one chooses "Services".  Then the icon "My Services" shows that I have a year of all services activated.  Now I just have to figure out how to use them.

Message 11 of 21 (327 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Hwalker1

Before buying live services for my 720, I need to know what the cost is. Not the cost of buying it from TomTom, but what are the additional costs likely to be on my phone service. There is lots of guff from the CEO but nothing telling potential purchasers how it works, how many calls it might make in a day (if it makes calls even).

When I click on the purchase button up comes a message saying that my device is not compatible with traffic, yet my device (and a lot of users on this forum) says it is.

I have been a customer for the last 12 years or so, and sadly have watched customer service to decline from excellent to its current abysmal state, but I did expect sales at least to be up to scratch.

Message 12 of 21 (236 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Hwalker1

as to the aprentice traveller caption, I'll have you know that I have done over 1/4 million miles using a tottom throughout Europe!
Message 13 of 21 (235 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
kh2154

[ Edited ]

I own a 720 (as well as a newer 120 LIVE) and can tell you the 720 is NOT compatible with LIVE services. LIVE services works through a SIM card in your device - hence it is only supported on "LIVE" devices (the x40 series was the earliest), and it also does not use your phone. The 720 simply does not have a SIM card or a place to put it - it cannot get LIVE services.

However, you may be able to buy "TomTom Traffic" for your 720 if your phone is compatible: http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/services/other/traffic/index.jsp#tab:tab4.  If someone has told you that you can get traffic on your 720 using your phone, then they are referring to this and not LIVE (and not "HD Traffic" either).  This DOES use your phone and specifically its data connection, so you will need a data allowance. Other people may be able to comment on how much data it will use, but it is unlikely to be a significant amount to you if you already use your phone to browse the internet.

However, you stated (with some pride I thought!) that you drive throughout Europe, and clearly you don't want to be using your phone's data connection outside the UK, as the costs WILL be high.  TomTom Traffic is also some way behind "LIVE" in terms of coverage and quality of information, and LIVE will work in most countries you have map coverage with no extra data costs (even in Europe).  Time to consider upgrading to a LIVE device?

Message 14 of 21 (217 Views)
Please use plain text.
jonstrong
Topics: 20
Kudos: 193
Solutions: 5

kh2154 wrote:

I own a 720 (as well as a newer 120 LIVE) and can tell you the 720 is NOT compatible with LIVE services. LIVE services works through a SIM card in your device - hence it is only supported on "LIVE" devices (the x40 series was the earliest), and it also does not use your phone. The 720 simply does not have a SIM card or a place to put it - it cannot get LIVE services.

However, you may be able to buy "TomTom Traffic" for your 720 if your phone is compatible: http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/services/other/traffic/index.jsp#tab:tab4.  If someone has told you that you can get traffic on your 720 using your phone, then they are referring to this and not LIVE (and not "HD Traffic" either).  This DOES use your phone and specifically its data connection, so you will need a data allowance. Other people may be able to comment on how much data it will use, but it is unlikely to be a significant amount to you if you already use your phone to browse the internet.

However, you stated (with some pride I thought!) that you drive throughout Europe, and clearly you don't want to be using your phone's data connection outside the UK, as the costs WILL be high.  TomTom Traffic is also some way behind "LIVE" in terms of coverage and quality of information, and LIVE will work in most countries you have map coverage with no extra data costs (even in Europe).  Time to consider upgrading to a LIVE device?

Very interesting...and I *do* see the write up referring to "phone" on the TomTom website....and certainly the proper SIM could, in theory, connect to TomTom's servers from within your cell phone. But I'm curious: how does your phone talk to your GPS...bluetooth? Is the assumption that somehow the phone, using a TomTom-provisioned SIM, would talk via BlueTooth to your GPS PND and pass the traffic data to the PND via Bluetooth in real-time? It's certainly feasible -- IF the device is designed to work that way... It might be -- just surprised because I've never read about this or heard about it...

- Jon

TomTom Go Live 2535M
Message 15 of 21 (206 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
kh2154

Hmm, think you've misunderstood me Jon.  Not sure where in my post I implied TomTom would provide a SIM for you to use in your own phone - I said "LIVE services works through having a SIM card in your device" - ie it is already inside the TomTom "LIVE" device when you buy it (and not removable)!!

For "TomTom Traffic" (which is not a LIVE service, and not "HD Traffic"), you use your phone with its normal SIM, the TomTom connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and it uses your phone's data connection (and therefore your data allowance - hence the warning on the page I linked to). However, compatibility looks very hit-and-miss - for newer popular smartphones, none have been tested for "TomTom Services" with the older TomToms (select an older phone and it comes up with a longer list of TomToms, select "Samsung S2" and you'll be disappointed).  From TomTom's lack of support for selling it, I can't help feeling it is a dying service.

Message 16 of 21 (198 Views)
Please use plain text.
jonstrong
Topics: 20
Kudos: 193
Solutions: 5

kh2154 wrote:

Hmm, think you've misunderstood me Jon.  Not sure where in my post I implied TomTom would provide a SIM for you to use in your own phone - I said "LIVE services works through having a SIM card in your device" - ie it is already inside the TomTom "LIVE" device when you buy it (and not removable)!!

For "TomTom Traffic" (which is not a LIVE service, and not "HD Traffic"), you use your phone with its normal SIM, the TomTom connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and it uses your phone's data connection (and therefore your data allowance - hence the warning on the page I linked to). However, compatibility looks very hit-and-miss - for newer popular smartphones, none have been tested for "TomTom Services" with the older TomToms (select an older phone and it comes up with a longer list of TomToms, select "Samsung S2" and you'll be disappointed).  From TomTom's lack of support for selling it, I can't help feeling it is a dying service.

Thanks for the expanded explanation. I must admit to having been somewhat sleep-deprived at my last post, and perhaps a bit denser than usual. Although I've used GPS PND's for the past several years (Garmin for several and TomTom for the past year since the Go Live 2535M was released), I must admit to having been totally unaware of this feature that allows a phone to act as traffic data receiver. Until reading your post, I had actually only been aware of FM / TMC, TomTom's Live / HD services (and the variants differing between US and other countries) along with a peripheral aware of Garmin's approach to connected services. Nice idea that you can (sometimes, apparently) use a phone as a data receiver, although I can easily imagine issues with that approach.

Bluetooth had great promise, but in implementation has been problematic across many application areas. BT headsets are the simplest application and have the fewest compatibility issues, but problems still come up across BT version issues, A2DP compatibility, etc. Pairing properly with phones has been something of a disaster in the auto industry -- the forums are replete with compatibiltiy complaints, first/last name reversal, voice recognition on uploaded phonebooks failing, dropped / noisy connections, etc. Logitech and others have been moving away from BT keyboards and mice due in part to these issues, and switching to radio bands more common with WiFi routers and cordless phones. I'm actually surprised to see that BT has proven reliable at all for this application, considering its spotty record.

Compounding that with the fact that most cell phone customers don't have unlimited data plans at this point, it would seem that this architecture for traffic data consumption has a somewhat limited future, despite its early promise.

- Jon

TomTom Go Live 2535M
Message 17 of 21 (193 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Hwalker1

Well thats cleard up a few problems. My phone (which runs on an Asda chip at 10p a minute and 75p a meg for data, even though its using the Vodafone network, connects to the TomTom with no problems. However as usual the TomTom site has cpontradictions as to how I should obtain traffic info on my combined kit. As they will no longer accept email messages from people with "old" tomToms, I will switch to another make. Pity as I only had the TomTom (bougt NEW) for about 18 months.

Message 18 of 21 (185 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Hwalker1

I think that you are missing the point. The link does not go to live services as it states, but to a sales pitch for TomToms. I have a TomTom - I just want to find out how to buy live services and what it will cost to purchase and to run.

The web site is rubbish - you can wander around all day and it always goes in circles, with crossed links and messd up ones. Thats what the complaint is about.

Message 19 of 21 (178 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Hwalker1

Quote _ See  http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/services/other/traffic/index.jsp#tab:tab4.

This does give some explaination but not enough. When you click on the link called more information, you are sent to a general info page that has nothing about the subject on it. http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/home/?Lid=1&locale=en_GB

Another example of poor management by TomTom.

Message 20 of 21 (177 Views)
Please use plain text.