Retired Employee
Kenneth

Re: HD Traffic Reduced Range UK & EUROPE - Unacceptable

Hello all,

We know some of you are unhappy with the way TomTom HD Traffic is working, particularly in the UK, and that the answers we have provided are not what you want to hear. But we are not ignoring you. We follow community discussions closely and are often impressed with the knowledge and ideas that are presented in these threads. These are your concerns as we have understood them:

1) The current 120km range is sometimes not sufficient for long distance journeys, particularly in the UK.

2) The forty minute horizon on devices that connect to MyTomTom.

Since we first raised the concerns posted on this and other forums internally we expanded the range of TomTom HD Traffic from 80km to 120km, and then briefly to 160km. As you know, we were then forced to limit it to 120km again. Our traffic team is continuing to work on short, medium and long-term improvements to the service, and all options are being investigated. However, for obvious reasons, we are not able to reveal all the details surrounding the technical challenges we faced recently and the solutions that are being investigated and developed. And, unfortunately, despite our best efforts to expand the range we’re not able to offer an immediate solution. Many of you already understood that the increase to the 160km bounding box might have been temporary and could have been decreased with the approaching winter and increase in traffic incidents.

In the meantime, it is not practical for us to post new updates every day but do not mistake our perceived silence as avoiding or neglecting the issue. It has been raised at the highest levels, and is reviewed daily. We want to keep you as loyal customers, and we hope that you will, ultimately, be pleased with the TomTom HD Traffic service.

Kenneth

Message 41 of 447 (1,535 Views)
Please use plain text.
Renowned Trailblazer
sean

Thanks Kenny, It would be a good idea to be able to choose between the 80, 120 and 160km range. i think i will put that in the wish list :smileytongue:

Smiffy
Message 42 of 447 (1,493 Views)
Please use plain text.
Renowned Trailblazer
Andy_P

Kenneth wrote:These are your concerns as we have understood them:

1) The current 120km range is sometimes not sufficient for long distance journeys, particularly in the UK.

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

I don't want to take this discussion off-topic, but can you please add to your list the issue of the new "horizon" for POI searches as well?It has been mentioned lots of times, but hasn't generated the same publicity as the Traffic issues and so isn't getting as much attention to fix it.

It's a deal-breaker for me. We still need to be able to search an entire POI category for a named entry just like we could on Navcore 9.

Message 43 of 447 (1,485 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Trailblazer
Carminat

Andy_P wrote:

Kenneth wrote:These are your concerns as we have understood them:

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

I don't want to take this discussion off-topic, but can you please add to your list .........

But you have done just that, Andy. Could you please remove your message and start a new topic dealing with it separately in order to avoid diluting this topic. Thank you.

Message 44 of 447 (1,469 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Trailblazer
Carminat

Kenneth wrote:

Hello all,

We know some of you are unhappy with the way TomTom HD Traffic is working, particularly in the UK, and that the answers we have provided are not what you want to hear. But we are not ignoring you. We follow community discussions closely and are often impressed with the knowledge and ideas that are presented in these threads. These are your concerns as we have understood them:

Kenneth

Kenneth

I think you need to avoid upsetting us by evading the issue that the HD Traffic Service was originally of far greater range than 120km - I for one find the frequent references to "increasing" to 120km and to 160km evasive on the part of TomTom, because we originally had at least 160km and without any back notes, I am not alone in thinking it was actually more than 160. Recent checks have shown the devices still downloading data from over 150 miles range (250km).

TomTom are also ignoring several queries as to what TT are proposing to do about the service we have paid for, for over a year, which was reduced far below the value we paid for. It is particularly galling in this respect to hear that TT tweeted to iPhone users that an extension to HD Traffic subscriptions was being allocated en bloc to compensate for some short loss of service. It is now only one month away from being one year since we last had the service range that we paid our subscriptions for. I would add that extending our subscriptions by a year is the least we expect, but even so, to extend them by one year and yet continue to provide only a limited range, would still be an unhappy state of affairs.

May I repeat what I and others have already said - When we got HD Traffic, it was brilliant, nobody else had anything that could even stand by on the sidelines enviously. We joined and rejoined the subscription service with willing and happy hearts (some of us at the earlier price of double today's rate). We have no quarrel with HD Traffic as a system, it's bloody brilliant, if only you will restore the range to what we paid for. If you have to restrict it, I'll settle for the previous 250km.

Perhaps this picture of my journey records spreadsheet (customer names deleted) will illustrate my situation - my recent journeys, shows odometer readings and total journey mileages - divide the total for a guide to the one way journeys and note that the distances are in miles - the 787 mile trip to Glasgow equates to 1260kms, or 630 kms one way. The shortest run was 80 miles one way, just outside the current 120km range.

Screen Shot 2011-10-26 at 20.49.24.png

Message 45 of 447 (1,456 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Mick-TT950

[ Edited ]

Kenneth

Thank you for your post and stating the case for TomTom.

It is good that our concerns are taken seriously, but the lack of any post from TomTom for some considerable time is very disconcerting, as this problem seems to be at the bottom of the to-do list!

I would like to say I was very pleased with TomTom HD Traffic services before the fiasco that followed TomTom’s decision to reduce the Traffic range. The return of HD traffic services to a minimum 160km range is most important.

Surely after 10 months it is not beyond reason that this problem should have been resolved, after all you still advertise and take subscriptions for  the HD traffic service on basis of  it showing traffic for ‘your route’.

Recent press releases make it clear TomTom cannot afford to lose any more customers, but by taking so long to sort this issue, the point at which loyal customers will remain loyal has been reached and in some cases past.

When people who have been using TomTom products for over 7 years, have had enough and are to switch to alternative products, TomTom must realise they need to address the problem as a priority.

TomTom also need to realise that concerns over HD Traffic horizon has now filtered down in to retail shops.

The main reason for buying a TomTom is that it was the best at what it did.  Alas, the situation with HD Traffic has left it vulnerable.

Even Google Maps has a navigation system with traffic, which is an adequate sysytem, while not the best, but it is free!

Message 46 of 447 (1,346 Views)
Please use plain text.
Renowned Trailblazer
Andy_P

Carminat wrote:Could you please remove your message
-------------------------------------------
No I can't.
Not that I would... I see it as part of the same issue.

Message 47 of 447 (1,326 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Mick-TT950

Another week passes, still no information.

It would appear we paying subscribers are unlikely to get the service we have paid for, as TomTom may cutting the range so save money!

Not long now,  and we can organise a party to celebrate 1 year of reduced services and have paid TomTom for the privelege

Message 48 of 447 (1,140 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Trailblazer
Carminat

Mick-TT950 wrote:

Another week passes, still no information.

It would appear we paying subscribers are unlikely to get the service we have paid for, as TomTom may cutting the range so save money!

Not long now,  and we can organise a party to celebrate 1 year of reduced services and have paid TomTom for the privelege

Yes, indeed. It's two weeks since you opened this thread and STILL NO COMMENT FROM TomTom, except a week ago to say they are working on it - the same comment we've been getting for how long now? What was that announcement last week about TT looking to cut costs significantly?

This last week, I was due to return to Bristol from Newmarket. My RDS-TMC Carminat told me the M4 was closed Westbound Junction 16 because of an accident and recommended cross country to Oxford and across to M5 to avoid 30 minutes (and increasing) delay. GO550 HD Live Traffic said nothing and planned my route along M4 with NO INCIDENTS. Is this HD Traffic as advertised to get me there with the least delays and traffic?

Message 49 of 447 (1,127 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
philce

The comment from TomTom was only because I raised a complaint.

The reason given is that,

"we are now reporting more traffic than ever before. It can be that customers such as yourself haven't noticed it, from the customers point of view it is hard to see the more amount of traffic we are reporting. We can however ensure you that this has improved."

So reducing the range actually increases the amount of data available? 

I have also complained about the lack of connection to servers, loss of connection/data.

Maybe we should try to get this situation some more publicity? 

Anyone got any ideas?

Message 50 of 447 (1,124 Views)
Please use plain text.