New Traveler
Domo

Go 720 and RDS-TMC receiver

I am a new owner of Go720. Not too long ago, I found out about on-air traffic updates, so I decided to purchase a RDS-TMC receiver. I posted a question, asking it this receiver was compatible with my Go720. The answer that I received from a rep re-assured me that it is compatible. 

I decided to purchase a RDS-TMC receiver. Happy, that I can finally see traffic updates (even if they are not to-the-minute updates). Few days later I receiver my traffic receiver (9UUC.052.02). I decided to take it for a test drive. I plugged it in, and the first message that I received was "Your RDS_TMC traffic receiver is not compatible with your current map"

The map that I currently have is the original map that has been installed on my unit. Does this mean that I will have to purchase a new map for $60 ?

Here are my specs:

TomTom Go720 (4M00.002)

Device: AK9SL A2GUA

App 8.351 (9982/090518)

OS 315187

GPS v1.20

Boot 5.5120

Map: 'North America_2GB' v855.2884

RDS-TMC: 9UUC.052.02

Message 1 of 6 (2,081 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
ROV135

Re: Go 720 and RDS-TMC receiver

I have the same GO with the same specs. However my map is v830.2284. RDS-TMC worked last year on a trip from RI to FLA just fine. When I attempted to use it this year for the same trip it displayed a msg. that my subscription had expired. I did not think that RDS-TMC was a subscription service. I sent a msg. to TomTom support on their website (TomTom.com) and received an answer two days later that the server was having a problem. They could not say when the problem would be fixed.

Message 2 of 6 (2,076 Views)
Please use plain text.
Founding Member
hope68

Hi,

i checked on google and the the item-number you posted only showed results for items in Europe - I tried to use my RDS-TMC receiver on my 930 two yrs ago when I was on hols in Florida and it didnt work.

I've been told that the European TMC receiver won't work in the States and vice-versa due to different transmitting signals.

cu Peter

Unless you use a Navcore10 device, please make a back-up of your device before any changes!!!

All information given in good faith, but without guarantee! ;-) ....
Message 3 of 6 (2,053 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

[ Edited ]

I agree that the OP probably purchased the European receiver.

There are two generations of American receivers that are compatible with an American GO720 (the round plug and the USB plug with the white suction cups.  The latest generation receiver with a cigarette lighter adapter is not compatible with a GO720.

The USB plug with suction cups is very hard to find.  You can get cheap receivers with the round plug on ebay, just make sure it shows a round plug in the picture, and says it is for USA maps.

mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Message 4 of 6 (2,026 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
pilipiem

The only sure information is that 9UUC.052.02 RDS-TMC receiver is only working with navcore 9 and higher...

So, you shall try to update your device or test it on another GPS running with Navcore 9 or higher...

Message 5 of 6 (1,404 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
cliveconway

When I was on version 2.7 I had no problem ion getting traffic information with my GO 720 and the RDS-TMC cable, I am now on map 2.8.4.2596 and the RDS-TMC cable does not work

Message 6 of 6 (800 Views)
Please use plain text.