Novice Explorer
Commsys

AUDIBLE Alerts When Speed Exceeds Speedlimit ???

I have used Garmin and Magellan for years and am frustrated that they do not offer an AUDIBLE alert when my travel speed exceeds the speedlimit in the database. It seems such a positive, useful, and technically easy thing.

I have read all the series-specific Forums, and can find no comprehensive list of TomTom models that offer this great feature.  Can someone provide a list of TomTom car models that offers AUDIBLE alerts when I exceed the speed limit from the speedlimit database?

Thanks much.

Message 1 of 22 (6,881 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

Re: AUDIBLE Alerts When Speed Exceeds Speedlimit ???

hi i have the go live 1000 and it has alerts for driving above speed limit also you can set it to warn if driving over a preconfigered speed limt  that i can set the limits for,i would imagine the 2xxx series has similar .not to sure of the via .maybe if a via user is reading this post they can confirm whether its available ,its under the safety settings on my unit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st go live 1000 (dead)
second go live 1000 (dead)
current go live 550 alive and doing what the 1xxx/2xxx/ vias should be doing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 22 (6,878 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Dugyfresh

The TT 825 has it.

Message 3 of 22 (6,853 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Commsys

After several tries, I got the following supposed answer from TomTom (Amanda):

Dear John,

Thank you for updating your incident.

All TomTom devices which has classical user interface (such as TomTom One 140, One 130, One XL, XL 330, XL 340, XL 335, XXL 540, XXL 535, Go 630, 730, 930, Go 740 ) has the option where you can have the speed warnings or alerts on the TomTom device.

We can enable the option to receive speed warning or alerts on the TomTom device. You need to check mark the following options:

o Warn when driving faster than allowed.
o Warn when driving faster than a set speed.

With Best Regards,

Amanda
TomTom Customer Support

Does anyone know if she is right?  So many have said that VISUAL but not AUDIBLE alerts are available on most models that I am worried.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

hi as previous posts and tomtom have said you can have audible alerts for driving faster than allowed /faster than a set speed for example om my live 1000 i would do the following

tap screen=settings=safety settings ,i would then check the boxes for "warn when driving faster than allowed" and also"warn when driving faster than a set speed".i would then be asked for the warning sound i wanted for each listing

forgive me for saying but you seem reluctant to accept that you can any particular reason? have you got a particular tomtom in mind if so then a user of that unit could tell you exactly that you can and how to do it as i have done for the 1000 series

cheers

daz

1st go live 1000 (dead)
Message 5 of 22 (6,782 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Commsys

Thanks for your, and the other, replies.  No, I do not yet have a TomTom but I do own, and use, Garmin and Magellan, and I have done a lot of on-line reading.  The AUDIBLE over speed limit feature is a no-brainer to me yet neither Garmin nor Magellan offer it and I had to ask TomTom several times before getting the answer that I posted.

I have now purchased a used TomTom 730 (one of the models that TomTom says has this feature) and am looking forward to using it upon arrival.

Again thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 22 (6,761 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

your welcome  enjoy your unit :smileyhappy:

1st go live 1000 (dead)
Message 7 of 22 (6,756 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
guiraud

750 HAS .

Message 8 of 22 (6,739 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
georey

I have bought 5 GPS systems in the US, both Garmin & Tomtom and have yet to find one with an AUDIBLE ALERT. Now, I'm in the UK and have been advised to buy the Tomtom Via Live 125 Europe 45 because it has enough memory to load the US/Canada maps.

But does it have an audible alert??

When I was in Halfords the other day, the salesperson could not find an AA or either this Tomtom or others. Subsequently his manager called and said the reason why it didn't work was because the Halfords store is a metal box and it basically can't get the signal inside it.

Am suspicious of that explanation. Does anyone else know if the Tomtom vias have audible alerts??

Message 9 of 22 (6,159 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,595
Solutions: 320

Hi georey,

this is possible with that device. Please have a look at the device's user manual for more information.

user manual VIA LIVE series (hyperlink)

However you won't be able to use the LIVE services in the US. If you need that device mainly for the US I recommend getting a GO LIVE device when returning to the US if you'd like to use LIVE services in the US. However with that device you won't be able to use those services in Europe.

If purchasing a device have a look to get one with at least 4GB internal memory and possibly a SD card slot. That way you'll be able to extend your memory up to 32GB.

Also if purchasing a US M device you'd have the advantage of getting lifetime map updates for the North American maps. Such an offer isn't available for any European device.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 10 of 22 (6,155 Views)
Please use plain text.