Novice Explorer
MadBob

Re: Why is TomTom AWOL on Android?

Thanks for the response, however I feel you are missing the point. I do not give a tinkers **bleep** about map content, some prefer Navteq some Teleatlas, I do about 40,000 uk miles per year and find them pretty much the same, they average out with some areas being better for one map and some the other. What i want is the TomTom interface. I will not be leaving Android for any other phone OS, it us simply too good and very customisable. If you cannot provide TomTom for android you will be losing my money and I would bet a lot more besides. To let your rivals get this far ahead of the game is unconscionable, somebody high up at TomTom should be sacked for this lack of foresight.
Message 21 of 105 (3,630 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
jalan

I appreciate your reply to this forum, from a TomTom insider.  To be frank, these partnerships are yawners.  There are few reasons left to yearn for a TomTom solution on Android in my opinion.  The biggest remaining reason is IQRoutes.  From what I've read, these partnerships will not have IQRoutes.  A partnership product without IQRoutes is not exciting.  TeleAtlas maps don't stand above the others without IQRoutes.

Until recently, TomTom also could have had some leverage because of MapShare also.  However, Google has now bested that also, with their release of MapMaker.  Now, in most cases, we are waiting a matter of DAYS to see our map changes made - not quarterly.

The time for TomTom to get serious about Android was 18 months ago not 18 months from now.  With 200,000 activations of Android phones, PER DAY, that means more and more customers having their navigation needs met with a product other than a TomTom product and with every passing day, TomTom becomes more and more irrelevant to Android customers.

Message 22 of 105 (3,610 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
jalan

While it is easy from an outsider's perspective to blame TomTom management for their missteps on Android, you can say the same thing about Garmin.  I believe that these two hardware-focused companies are being taken kicking and screaming to the software-focused business of apps.  They loved their high-margin hardware gig while it lasted and neither company had the foresight to see the dedicated PND world declining, in favor of software apps.  A $300 PND has no place left in a world of $300 dual-core 1 GHZ smartphones, especially given the UI of the navigation experience delivered by Google Navigation.  It makes the Country, State, City, House Number, Street manual entry of a PND look like amateur hour in the software development room.  Sure the $300 PND can still do more than Google Navigation can today, like custom POI's, detours, etc.  But how many non-techie, mass-market consumers care about that?  Not enough to keep the PND market propped up and profitable it seems.

My prediction is that Apple will bring navigation in-house (see their job postings) and Apple and Google will go head to head with navigation solutions that none of us can imagine today.  Why?  If you control the navigation, map and search experience of your consumer, then you control the ability to deliver mobile LBS and mobile advertising to them.  The revenue from mobile advertising will be huge.  TomTom and Garmin will pay dearly for their missteps in the app marketplace.  

Message 23 of 105 (3,608 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Oleg

Russian

Даже без IQ Riutes в программе TomTom можно исправлять карту, закрывая или открывая нужные дороги. Это большое отличие TomTom от того что делают ваши конкуренты.

Отказывая в программе для смартфонов, вы не только не зарабатываете деньги, вы теряете потенциальных клиентов, которые могут уйти от вас к вашим конкурентов.

English (translate)
Even without the TomTom IQ Riutes you can correct the map, closing or opening the roads. This is the big difference between the TomTom do your competitors.
Denying program for smartphones, you not only don't earn money, you lose potential customers who can get away from you at your competitors.
Message 24 of 105 (3,603 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

About the Android platform: 

PGPS: The TomTom App has been in the top 10 in the Apple AppStore since it's release do you have plans to launch on other platforms, in particular Android and Windows Phone?

TT: We are currently working on a version for Android this will be released soon. I cannot give you a specific date yet. For Windows Phone we are not planning to release anything.

Source: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/We-Meet-TomToms-MD-Corinne-Vigreux-Before-Break-Free-Event-8910.php

Message 25 of 105 (3,104 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
jalan

[ Edited ]

I get so tired of technology company's arrogance when they think they know more about the marketplace than their customers do.  I mean, that quote from Corinne Vigreux is about the most laughable thing I've ever read.  Here is a tip TomTom - when you are struggling in a changing industry, don't insult the intelligence of the customers you are trying to hold on to.

PGPS: Do you see the massive rise in the popularity of Smartphones killing the PND market?

TT: Definitely not. We feel there is a place for both. The PND is a device dedicated to navigation, performing a single function. The Smartphones are general purpose devices of which navigation can be one function. Smartphones are good for pedestrian use and for the occasional check on Google Maps, but are not ideal navigation devices. To use in-car there are a number of issues to overcome: you need a mount solution, the device needs to be powered, and the inadequacies of the small speaker need to be overcome. Most people will recognise this and opt for a PND for navigation.

I mean, common on.  Even PocketGPSWorld felt the need to add an editorial comment to that response.  I would imagine they couldn't stop laughing when they heard that answer.

Was TomTom asleep at the wheel during the dawn of the smartphone itself? How many times did tech companies tell us that the smartphone was a niche device itself?  How many times did we hear that people still prefer a separate PalmPilot for the PIM and a separate cell phone for communication?  We've been there.  The jury has ruled.  Wake up TomTom.

Let's analyze this quote a little.

The PND is a device dedicated to navigation, performing a single function. The Smartphones are general purpose devices of which navigation can be one function

And?  That makes one good and one bad, why?  Changing two words gives us the tired and losing argument of 5 years ago:  "The [PalmPilot] is a device dedicated to [PIM], performing a single function.  The Smartphones are general purpose devices of which [PIM] can be one function."  We've seen that movie before.  How did it turn out?

Smartphones are good for pedestrian use and for the occasional check on Google Maps, but are not ideal navigation devices.

Perhaps you could argue that the current SOFTWARE for the smartphone lags the feature set of PND software, but exactly what makes a smartphone "not ideal navigation devices?"  Is it the 1.0 GHZ processor?  Is it the massive SD card storage?  Is it the tight integration between the navigation feature and the calendar and contact file?  Is it the tight integration between any app with an address and navigation?  Is it the TTS engine?  Is it the voice recognition that shows up a PND's voice recognition like a school-yard bully?  Is it the one-click sending of an address from desktop Google Chrome to your Android navigation app?   Which of those things make it "not ideal" TomTom?

-

And this is my absolute favorite: To use in-car there are a number of issues to overcome: you need a mount solution, the device needs to be powered, and the inadequacies of the small speaker need to be overcome.

Wow!  "Issues to overcome..."  You need a "mount solution."  Um....a PND doesn't need a mount?  "The device needs to be powered."  Um....a PND doesn't need power?  And the "small speaker need(s) to be overcome."  Perhaps.  Not an issue on my smartphone.

Most people will recognise this and opt for a PND for navigation.
Hmm.  It seems that declining quarterly earnings for the PND sector and the bottom falling out of PND retail prices would tell most companies that they aren't on the right path.

TomTom - your customers are smarter than your marketing gibberish.  You still have something with your IQRoutes technology.  It is still a gamechanger and a reason to pay for navigation in an environment of free alternatives.  But get it to Android before Google and Apple eats you alive with their own solutions - while IQRoutes still is unique.  You've ceded everything else to them already with your slow response to the marketplace.

The writing is on the wall for PNDs.  In industry after industry, hardware companies that can't start thinking like software companies become dinosaurs.  Wake up.

Message 26 of 105 (3,097 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Oleg

Russian:

Как вы думаете, какой фирмы PNA навигатор купит человек, который в смартфоне пользуется Garmin, Sygic или другой? Правильно - тот к которому он привык в смартфоне. А TomTom там, простите, нет!

English translate:

Do you think any company PNA navigator buy the man who in the smartphone uses Garmin, Sygic or another? That's right - the one to which he was accustomed to the phone. A TomTom there, sorry, no!

Message 27 of 105 (3,075 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Trentors

Apparently TomTom is coming to Android : http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/We-Meet-TomToms-MD-Corinne-Vigreux-Before-Break-Free-Event-8910.php

What is the truth in all this? Is TomTom coming for Android or not?

People want the REAL TomTom app - not som 3rd party Tele-Atlas implementation which does not contain any of the core technologies that TomTom are promoting. I makes no sense that TomTom should think people would settle for less. Otherwise what is the point of promoting these features?

Message 28 of 105 (2,693 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
jalan

Wake me up when the app is in the Android market.  TomTom was widely quoted in 2008 as saying Android was too important for them to ignore.  Well, the did a pretty good job of it so far.  I'll believe it when I see it.  By that time, most competitors will be on their 2nd generation.  ALK and NDrive should be releasing updates soon.  And Google Navigation will be incrementally better with each release.

i've said it before - TomTom has exactly one advantage left: IQRoutes.  When that advantage goes away, they will have kissed the US market goodbye,

Message 29 of 105 (2,680 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Trentors

They did not ignore Android. They just choose the most useless way (for TomTom customers) to approach Android: Delivering map data for two 3rd party apps. And the HTC app is only HTC phones - Besides it is really primitive IMO. The Route66 app has been "coming soon" for months now. And all they add to the game is a new GUI.

But I agree. It is not getting easier when the competition gaining market share. Now even Garmin is well in the game with their purchase of Navigon. And Google Maps is not exactly getting worse with each new release.

I really do not understand why companies cannot see a change in markets that normal consumers can easily see. It is like Nokia all over again.

But at least we now have a public statement that an app is being developed. Now we just need the official TomTom people to verify this and give us some more info. Maybe Corinne Vigreux is confusing the Route66 with a real TomTom app (which would be very embarrassing) and that is why we need more information people!

Message 30 of 105 (2,645 Views)
Please use plain text.