Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

Re: Tomtom for Samsung Galaxy S3

Trentors wrote:

Buy the app from Google Play and download it to a compatbile device (like SGS 2).

- Download the app "AppMonster" from Google Play (there is both a free and pay version - I used the latter).

- With AppMonster backup the TomTom app.

- It creates an apk-file in AppMonster's folder.

- Copy this file to SGS3 and use a file explorer program (like Samsungs built-in) to open the file.

- This will install the file on SGS3. However the program is not automatically updated since it did not come via Google Play.

TomTom is not telling the truth about resolutions. A lower resolution Android app will always work on a higher resolution display and many apps do this like Cut The Rope and even Navigon. But it is not in HD (looks great anyway). 

TomTom has for some reason decided not let Google Play install this app on our devices even though it is fully compatible. They may hide behind the "it is not in the correct resolution" but that is rubbish since most apps are not run in the natively resolution. So this is an intentionally restriction on TomTom for Android.

Maybe they just haven completely left the habit of treating Android users like S*** :-(

The app isn't fully compatible with higher resolution devices:

- the car icon isn't centered in landscape

- the status bar has weird gaps in portrait

- not all numbers fit in their boxes

- view map is squished in the corner

- etc, etc

So I certainly agree with TT for not selling this app directly to higher res devices until they get things fixed.  But it does work, and steps like you posted work flawlessly.

Just one key point on the install steps: The low-res device you buy the app on, and your high-res device you plan to use it on, have to have the same Google Play account, or else the app will fail due to license check

mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Message 21 of 91 (5,021 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
welchb

tks guys for your respective posts......

ironically, I just got rid on my SGS (version 1) so do not have another android device I can download too or registered to my google account.

I guess for me the best way is to wait out a bit longer and watch these threads.

thanks again Brian

Message 22 of 91 (4,976 Views)
Please use plain text.
Renowned Trailblazer
floc

[ Edited ]

tt works great on my mediapad tablet 1280x800. moved apk from my phone (legally acquired license via google play of course) installed and downloaded maps. Only some glitches on menu and view not centered but shifted on the left... tt should take really a short time to expand compatibility, just fix the menu and correct zooming. Even junction view is already correctly showing :smileywink:

unforunately (shame on you tomtom) autovelox and hdtraffic has to be repurchased with differrent tt account or moved from previous device

Message 23 of 91 (4,891 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

You can move speedcams and hd traffic back and forth across devices whenever you want.   You just can't use more than one device at the same time.

mvl

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Message 24 of 91 (4,881 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
dood

Actually it is every 6 months

Message 25 of 91 (4,876 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

Its 6 months on the pnds. I was told the 6 month delay didnt apply to Android. Anyone at tt able to confirm?
mvl

Message 26 of 91 (4,862 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
dood

I was told it was 6 months on iPhone, assumed it would be the same.
Message 27 of 91 (4,842 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Jonkeu

I have a SG3 and have a free app "navigation" that is far better than my TomTom device.  I use my phone when TomTom doesn't have the address I'm looking for, or when TomTom is wrong.  Google maps and navigation on the SG3 is fantastic.

Message 28 of 91 (4,817 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
LukeS

I join the question: I have a Galaxy SII. If I buy the application now will I be able to use it on my Galaxy SIII in the future (when supported) or try a different version and I have to pay for another application? Now there is an introductory offer that I would take for it is compatible with my Galaxy SIII ...
Message 29 of 91 (4,749 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

You can use this app on the Galaxy S3 by sideloading it onto the Galaxy S3 when you get it.  However resolution is off as high-re isn't supported.

Tomtom said "Most likely" the same app will work on the galaxy S3 once high-res support is implemented.  I wish they could be more concrete about it.

mvl

Message 30 of 91 (4,726 Views)
Please use plain text.