Retired Employee
Kenneth

Re: Tomtom for Samsung Galaxy S3

You will notice that the app isn't optimised for the resolution of the SGS3.  A fully optimised version will be available by the end of the year.

Kenneth

Message 11 of 91 (4,104 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
mawa85

[ Edited ]

Will this be an update for this app or some kind of extra app like TomTomHD?

This is really important for me to know, to decide if I buy now and transfer it to my Optimus 4X HD P880 or wait

Message 12 of 91 (4,097 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Rightwayup

Thanks Kenneth but unfortunately having waited for the October release that is not good enough. I would rather have a lower resolution version that can be upgraded but at the moment I have nothing. Tomtom should be ashamed!. I am going to take a punt with Sygic because at least they are trying to improve their customer experience rather than the flaky Tomtom promises.

Message 13 of 91 (4,092 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
huskysdg

mawa85 wrote:

Will this be an update for this app or some kind of extra app like TomTomHD?

This is really important for me to know, to decide if I buy now and transfer it to my Optimus 4X HD P880 or wait

That's a very important question for TomTom developers!!  Please answer it when possible. Thanks.

Message 14 of 91 (4,077 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
dood

Guess I will buy it if I can find a device for me to log into with my play account, then transfer it across to my I9300. but I would also like to know if TomTom are being sneaky and trying to sell a separate (maybe more costly) HD version later. If you do I think you will have a small mutiny.
Message 15 of 91 (4,060 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

[ Edited ]

I have gone the APK route to force the app onto my SGS3 and I have to say the app is amazing, especially the speed/performance on such a high power device.  Another great thing is that there's no more carrying around a phone and a PND.  One device, that does it all.

Features are light compared to PNDs, but this is app 1.0, and it already does so so much more than the Tomtom iOS app's original 1.0.  I can only hope Tomtom packs on the features with each successive release, just like they did on iOS.

Yes, things on the screen look misaligned because of the un-optimized resolution, but nothing that really interrupts usability.

Most importantly, the HD traffic connection was flawless (unlike what was discussed in this thread for the PND models).  I have connected to HD traffic within 5 seconds, every time.  And it NEVER once had a congestion-related blackout.

mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.

I have seven years of extensive experience with Tomtom navigation products, and have just begun to use a Tomtom fitness watch.
Message 16 of 91 (4,048 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
Pottsy

mvl,

Could you post a screenshot - and can you tell what range the HD Traffic is working to?

Thanks!

Message 17 of 91 (3,986 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
welchb

@Trentors & @MVL.

As per the previous posts any chance of a few screen shots to see what you guys are getting please ?

Also, not being as tech savvy as u guys on this (LOL -- and I work with tech), can you post a short guide on how you got this working please.

If you could do that would be great.

Tkx

Message 18 of 91 (3,981 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Trentors

Buy the app from Google Play and download it to a compatbile device (like SGS 2).

- Download the app "AppMonster" from Google Play (there is both a free and pay version - I used the latter).

- With AppMonster backup the TomTom app.

- It creates an apk-file in AppMonster's folder.

- Copy this file to SGS3 and use a file explorer program (like Samsungs built-in) to open the file.

- This will install the file on SGS3. However the program is not automatically updated since it did not come via Google Play.

TomTom is not telling the truth about resolutions. A lower resolution Android app will always work on a higher resolution display and many apps do this like Cut The Rope and even Navigon. But it is not in HD (looks great anyway). 

TomTom has for some reason decided not let Google Play install this app on our devices even though it is fully compatible. They may hide behind the "it is not in the correct resolution" but that is rubbish since most apps are not run in the natively resolution. So this is an intentionally restriction on TomTom for Android.

Maybe they just haven completely left the habit of treating Android users like S*** :-(

Message 19 of 91 (3,956 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
mawa85

I bet they will offer some kind of TomTomHD for new devices later without a sale price or maybe even more expensive.

Message 20 of 91 (3,944 Views)
Please use plain text.