Neophyte Explorer
huskysdg
Accepted Solution

Tomtom for Samsung Galaxy S3

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I've been waiting a lot to get TomTom for my mobile and today I've found that finally it's here.

My surprise has been that for my Xoom and for my former SGS2 i can buy and download the tomtom app but I cannot for my Galaxy S3 and I do really need TomTom for my SGS3 (i'm using my mobile as the only navigation system for my car and my bike). But Google Play Store tells me literally "Your device (SGS3) is not compatible with this version". But in the Motorola Xoom and the SGS2 I can buy without a problem. I've not bought yet because I need it for the only one that doesn't accept the software, my SGS3.

I've tried to buy from the webpage of Play Store in my computerand I got the same problem, they allow me to buy and send to SGS2 and Xoom but not to SGS3  :-(

Come on, guys! There are millions of SGS3 owners willing to buy TomTom! Give us a solution, please. I should buy before saturday because I'm in job trip the whole next week.

By the way, you say that screen resolution for the android app is 800x480 or 854x480.

SGS2 is 800 x 480, Xoom is 1280x800 and SGS3 is 1280x720... That makes no sense....

Message 1 of 91 (28,813 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
rfielder

Re: Tomtom for Samsung Galaxy S3

There are posts here indicating that once you buy an app, you can install the app on all Android devices you own.

If correct, then you could install onto one of those devices, and use on that device until the update for GS3 arrives.

Message 2 of 91 (28,800 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

Google Play probably wont let you install the app to the SGS3, but with other android apps, I found that if you purchase on one device, you cab sideload to other devices. Anyone brave enough to try?
mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Message 3 of 91 (28,791 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
huskysdg

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your answer. That's clear. But I DO NEED for the SGS3 now, not in december... I cannot use the xoom tablet (10 inches) at the bike or at the car... And my former SGS2 it's on my mother's hands, it's her phone now. That's the reason I wrote "former" refering to my SGS2.

I would like to know when they're going to update for SGS3 (20 millions units sold by the way) because If they're going to take a while to update sadly I would fe forced to buy Navigon or Sygic instead.

Message 4 of 91 (28,789 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
huskysdg

[ Edited ]

mvl wrote:
Google Play probably wont let you install the app to the SGS3, but with other android apps, I found that if you purchase on one device, you cab sideload to other devices. Anyone brave enough to try?

I could do that but first I've to extract the cab with a root program (I can do) but I have no guarantee of stability in SGS3...

Message 5 of 91 (28,787 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

If the only stated incompatibility is resolution, there's a good chance it will be stable, though things might be squished in a corner. And Tomtom has already promised compatibility by year end. Since its a paid app I assume you'd need the same Google play acct on both devices.
mvl

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Message 6 of 91 (28,769 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
rfielder

@huskysdg:

>>  If they're going to take a while to update sadly I would fe forced to buy Navigon or Sygic instead.

I have Sygic on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and have to say it was a dissapointment. Then again, I had been using TomTom on my iPhone 3Gs, so maybe the expectations were set kind of high.....

Sygic did a fair number of weird things for routining, sometimes missing a cross street that would have saved a lot of time. The street showed on the map, so Sygic knew about the street, it just sent me the long way around. Other instances as well.

I actually prefer the display on Sygic over TomTom in some ways, but that may have been because it can show more stuff on a 10.1" screen than it can on a 3.5"  or 4.8" screen.

I put the demo version of Sygic on my SG3 yesterday, and used it to go home. Very strange route, one which took much longer and was further to drive. 

Message 7 of 91 (28,756 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

Sygic didn't license IQroutes from Tomtom which explains its inferior routing.
mvl

Message 8 of 91 (28,750 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
huskysdg

[ Edited ]

mvl wrote:
Sygic didn't license IQroutes from Tomtom which explains its inferior routing.

Thank you both for your experiencies about Sygic. IQ routes is a very important point to wait for TomTom.

Message 9 of 91 (28,743 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
Trentors

I bought the app and downloaded it for my SGS2. Then I used AppMonster to backup the apk file and moved it to my SGS3. It seems to be working!

Surely it will not run in the natively 720p resulotion but neither does Navigon. Why have they set this resolution restriction on their app??????

Message 10 of 91 (28,699 Views)
Please use plain text.