Neophyte Traveler
hugocolome

iPad Compatibility

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I use mi iPhone4 as a hotspot to give my iPad access to 3g as it is a non-3gintegrated iPad. Will I still be able to use correctly the TomTom iPhone/iPad App on my iPad via hotspot?

Thanks!

Hugo Colome

Message 1 of 8 (491 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
beiker

Re: iPad Compatibility

Tough question. I didn't know that sharing 3G is possible. Since getting would only need to come from your carrier provider. 

We can share wifi but not 3G. I guess. 

Message 2 of 8 (481 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 42

It depends on your expectation. As the non-3g-ipad does not have a builtin gps I don't think it is reliable to use as a device for turn-by-turn navigation. GPS is not shared via the hotspot function. So basically it is working but doesn't make much sense in my view. But as the app itself (not the in-app purchses) can be installed on both devices for free, if they are linked to the same appstore account, you may easily test it yourself.
Supreme Navigator
MalcolmLLoyd1

You could purchase an external GPS Reciever to plug into the iPad. This would let you use the TT App on the iPad. However, as you do not have 3G on the iPad you would not be able to use TT's HD Traffic, Traffic Cameras (via subscription) or Google search. The WiFi connection to your iPhone enables you to access the internet from your iPad. It will not give you native 3G.

Malcolm LLoyd
Message 4 of 8 (473 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
hugocolome

Thank you, but as I don't have the TomTom app installed either on mi iPad or iPhone then I guess that I would have to buy it just to test it on either part anyway, which obviously I won't as I don't believe it will work for me.. :smileyhappy: :smileysad:

Message 5 of 8 (471 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
hugocolome

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you! I have other questions if you don't mind:

1) If I buy the GPS antenna for mi iPad as you recommend, where would it be connected? Via the bottom data port or where? And where can I buy one?

2) Another question, if I won't use the Traffic Cameras and HD Radars etc that you mention above, would the standard GPS navigation functions still work if I use the iPhone's 3G via mi iPad?

Thanks again!!

Message 6 of 8 (470 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
MalcolmLLoyd1

1. Do an internet Google search for   gps receiver for ipad

You can get some that plug into the iPad's "USB" port or connect via Bluetooth. You choose - Bluetooth might be more convenient.

2. Yes. As long as you have a GPS signal on the iPad (via an external GPS) then you will not need a 3G connection if all you want is basic TT navigation. You can still get internet access from your iPad via your iPhone's hotspot WiFi.

Malcolm LLoyd
Message 7 of 8 (468 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 42

But honestly, if you own both an iphone and an ipad why don't you simply use the iphone for navigation ? Is the iphone screen to small ?