Apprentice Explorer
stonefield

TomTom Car Kit for iPhone won't charge iPhone 4 with IOS 5

I've had a TomTom iPhone Car Kit with iPhone 4 adapter that has worked perfectly with my iPhone 4 for many months.

Since upgrading the iPhone's software to IOS5 the car kit no longer charges it. I tried an iPhone 4 with IOS 4.3 in the car kit and it still charges so we know that the car kit still works.

Has anyone else here had this problem and found a solution or is this one up to TomTom/Apple to fix in software?

SImilar things are going on here on the apple forum.

Message 1 of 35 (5,244 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
nzahn1

Re: TomTom Car Kit for iPhone won't charge iPhone 4 with IOS 5

I've seen posts about the iPhone 4s having similar issues, but It has the same form-factor as the iPhone 4, just running iOS5. I'm thinking there is a change in the firmware of the charging system of the iPhone that prevents triggering the TT Dock. Solutions for the iPhone 4s included adding depth to the TT CarKit switch by adding paper/velcro/weather striping to the adapter. By pushing the switch farther in it may create a more complete circuit.

TT 1.9 on iPhone 4s running iOS 5 - iPad 1 running iOS 5
Message 2 of 35 (5,212 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
jphfrombrussels

Hello, same problem for me: Iphone 4, 2 carkits in 2 several cars and no charging since i upgraded to Ios5... That's not very convenient ! I don't find any answer on the net (apple or tomtom...)

Message 3 of 35 (5,201 Views)
Please use plain text.
Kao
Novice Explorer
Kao

I have an iphone 4 and 4s, both working fine on ios5 using the tomtom car kit purchased around jan-feb of 2011. It came with an adapter for the iphone 4.

Here's a few things you could check.

1. Check the tomtom unit to make sure that the back is being pressed all the way, if not then you'll need to fix it with a new adapter that is thicker or modify it so that when you insert your iphone 4, it pushes the unit all the way in.

2. Check your cigarette lighter to make sure it's receiving power. If it's not, check your fuse. If it's directly wired in, check your fuse.

3. Use a can of compressed air to blow the contacts on the bottom of your iphone. Sometimes dust can get into it and cause poor connections.

Message 4 of 35 (5,186 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
jphfrombrussels

@Kao:

THX for your reply.

The car kit was OK until I upgraded to ios 5...

1- I use the official adapter for Iphone 4

2- The cigarette power of my 2 (!) cars is OK, the light on the adapter goes green. if I use another Iphone charger (not the tomtom carkit), it works with my iphone !

3- I already tried that, it didn't work sadly...

So, I repeat, I have the same problem with two different carkits in two different cars... and it worked perfectly until last week and the transfer from ios 435 to ios 5...

Regards

jph

Message 5 of 35 (5,181 Views)
Please use plain text.
Kao
Novice Explorer
Kao

[ Edited ]

Try #1 again, but manually push and hold it in with your hands to see if it'll recognize it. If that's the case, add a cardboard as well. It's worth a shot. Basically, try increasing the spacer/adapter thickness. I'm reading that people have different adapters which some are thick enough while some are just a bit too thin where a cardboard would make it thick enough to work.

Message 6 of 35 (5,177 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
delste

Hope this helps.  I got answer from a different place in forum.  I have an iphone 4 that worked fine even after upgrading to ios5.  Then I got a 4s and it would not charge in the cradle.  I took a thick piece of paper (I used the little brochure from the adaptor for the iphone4 and folded it over twice which gave me 8 thicknesses of paper)  I placed that between the I phone and the little plastic block adaptor on the cradle.  Everything works fine.  They just have to make an adaptor that is a little thicker.

Steve

Message 7 of 35 (5,174 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
nzahn1

jphfrombrussels

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but also try loading the free Car Kit App (not the navigation TT App) and see if it recognizes the dock. That may provide more information.

TT 1.9 on iPhone 4s running iOS 5 - iPad 1 running iOS 5
Message 8 of 35 (5,171 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
jphfrombrussels

@nzahn1: I tried that; the status is "docked"! Also the Iphone "sees" the Carkit via bluetooth and connects, and TomTom ap works fine... My  problem remains the battery charge...

Message 9 of 35 (5,165 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
jphfrombrussels

@Kao: I tried this way, doesn't work neither :smileysad:

Message 10 of 35 (5,160 Views)
Please use plain text.