Neophyte Traveler
PaddyB

Tom Tom car kit and other apps?

Hi, I have just bought the Tom Tom car kit with gps as it said that it works with 3rd party apps and Tom Tom app is not required. I have connected and installed the car kit fine, installed the car kit app and it registered as a great signal within the car kit "app" even when my location services are disabled on the iPhone. So all this shows that it's functioning correctly. However, when i then launch any other app such as google maps, navigon or speed camera apps they are unable to pick up a gos signal? It says on the Tom Tom website that it enhances gps signal by using the gps contained within the kit and it also says that the kit gives gps turn by turn services to iPods that don't have gps meaning that iOS should see it when paired? I am connected via Bluetooth, in the cradle, with power and the Tom Tom car kit app shows great reception so does that mean that this kit does not actually work with 3rd party apps? Is it specific to Tom toms own app? If so, they have mid marketed this product and I'll return it tomorrow. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 6 (3,203 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 42

Re: Tom Tom car kit and other apps?

I'm using the Navigon app on an iphone 4 and the app is working fine in the car kit but honestly I don't know how to really judge whether the gps signal is from the car kit or from the internal gps receiver.

Neophyte Traveler
PaddyB

Hi, Well just turn location services off under the iPhone settings. Then launch the Tom Tom car kit app and it will show you the external gps signal. Then launch navigon and watch it not work. Location services allows apps access to the internal gps, but as you can see when you use an external gps some apps can see it (in theory all should) but it seems Tom Tom restrict access to their gps in their car kit to Tom Tom apps only? This is strange as it claims it works with 3rd party apps but it clearly does not (from what I can see). Basically, if I disable location services all my apps fail to work with the exception of Tom Tom apps that actually "see" and use the external gps? I was not aware that was how this worked and was under the impression it worked with 3rd party apps, for example I needed to check google maps when my iPhone was docked and I was unable to do so, as was around me as none of them could see or use the external gps contained within the car kit. But all my Tom Tom apps work perfectly with location services disabled on the iPhone settings as they are using the larger/better external gps. I'm going to return i think as I think I was mid led into buying a £80 piece of plastic by the sounds of it? Has any one else got it working with 3rd party apps?
Message 3 of 6 (3,196 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi

I'll try with navigon and locations services turned off and see whether I'll get the same results than you. Will come back later.

Neophyte Traveler
PaddyB

Cheers, Sorry for the lack of paragraphs but I'm on an iPhone and it's not recognising them for some reason? Any way, yea if you could let me know the results that would be great. Basically disable location services on the iPhone, then launch your tomtom car kit app (free from the app store) watch it get a full gps signal and show you the satellites etc. Then launch navigon or google maps or any other iPhone app and watch them fail to get a signal from the external gps. I'm slightly upset by this as I have tomtom apps but not exclusively. Also my iPhone has gps apps that are very useful but are not manufactured by tomtom and they too are not functioning with the external gps. If I had bought an external gps receiver and cheap cradle I'd have been better off as this kit ONLY seems to work with tomtom specific apps, which in this day and age is rather silly and has cost them £80 from me as I'm returning it tomorrow. Im Disappointed tom-tom!
Message 5 of 6 (3,190 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi

Tried it yesterday:

switched off the location services completely for all apps and started the car kit app, which gave me a good signal soon.

Then I tried with TT, Navigon, Motion-X GPS and ADAC maps. All of them except Motion-X GPS immediately told me that location services are off and I should switch them on. I always canceled this and got no signal in none of the apps. Only Motion-X GPS doesn't give me the hint but couldn't retrieve the gps signal. This is a behavior I would clearly expect when I restrict location services for all apps.

I'm rather wondering why you get a signal in your TT app with location services off.

But an indication that Navigon is using the external signal is:

I have a BMW which only gives power to the lighter when the engine is running. If I have Navigon running and switch off the engine (and cutting the power supply for the car kit) I often get a message that the gps signal is bad. I think this is related to the fact that when cutting power the app has to switch from external to internal gps and this gives me this message.

Maybe we can check whether users with an ipod touch, car kit and Navigon do get a gps signal but I would clearly bet that they do. Otherwise the boards would be full with complaints.