New Traveler
daffyd

New Ipad with TomTom App

I have just bought the new ipad. It is the wifi only version, will the tomtom app work on with this or does it have to be a 3g enabled ipad

Message 1 of 17 (9,952 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
MalcolmLLoyd1

Re: New Ipad with TomTom App

For the TT App to work it needs a GPS signal which your version does not have. You could get an external (bluetooth) GPS receiver that is compatible with your iPad. A Google search will identify these. This would then give you standard turn by turn navigation. The additional services such as HD Traffic and TT Speed Cameras would need a cellular/3g connection.

Malcolm LLoyd
Message 2 of 17 (9,945 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
David41

I have purchase the new iPad 4G 64 GB and want to use my ipad for car navigation. Which app to I download and are the cost of the maps separate? Also, are the maps actually downloaded into my iPad and can I operate my car navigation in real time (direct sat. communication). - David41

Message 3 of 17 (9,913 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
MalcolmLLoyd1

You should purchase & download the TT App that contains the map that you need (e.g US & Canada). The App cost includes the cost of the map. The Map is stored on the iPad. You will be able to operate your car navigation in real time (direct sat. communication as your device has a GPS receiver).

Malcolm LLoyd
Message 4 of 17 (9,910 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
David41

OK - but once the maps are downloaded, do you still have to go though a cellular company and have a data account. If you need a data account then, for example, when you travel from Canada to the US, you will encounter substantial roaming charges that would make this approach uneconomically. Yes? - David41

Message 5 of 17 (9,907 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
MalcolmLLoyd1

You only need a data connection if you want to use TT services such as HD Traffic and Speed Cameras. Otherwise no cellular/data account needed.

Malcolm LLoyd
Message 6 of 17 (9,893 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
ucdailoi

I am using the DUAL Bluetooth GPS.... It works well with the IPad and TomTom map

Message 7 of 17 (9,793 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
MAMBuilding

I'm confused - some people here say you don't need a 3G model if you don't need the extras (speed cameras etc)

Will a regular WiFi iPad work with the Tom Tom App or is an external (bluetooth) GPS receiver crucial - where I'm confused is that Ibelieve all iPads have GPS and that 3G was only needed for connecting to the net etc

Message 8 of 17 (9,700 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
MalcolmLLoyd1

Not all iPads have GPS - only the cellular/3G ones. The other is WiFi only and here you will require an external GPS receiver to use the TT App (turn by turn navigation) - not additional services like HD Traffic and Traffic Cameras which will require the cellular version.

Malcolm LLoyd
Message 9 of 17 (9,695 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
MAMBuilding

thanks for clearing that up

Message 10 of 17 (9,688 Views)
Please use plain text.