Neophyte Traveler
HilB
Accepted Solution

My call time and data usage are excessive - can this be TomTom app?

I have an iPhone 3G and put the TT app on about a year ago, having previously owned a separate TTGo500. My phone is on PAYG because I rarely make calls or texts - bought in May 2010 and "lifetime usage" of call time shows a total of 12 hours 2 minutes! However I like to have email when not in the office but even that is used quite rarely. I pay £10 a month on a PAYG web deal. But I have noticed that my phone credit is getting used up really fast - and often after I have used the TT app. I asked a man in the Orange shop and he said the app continually dialled out to get info, and advised me to turn off location services after each trip as sometimes hitting the "end" button when you've arrived doesn't work. I do this - bit of a pain - but better than squandering credit and I don't need the app often as I am generally driving to and from work. However on Wednesday I made a two hour car journey and used the app, turning off "location" later in the day. I had happened to top up by £10 before I left, but on Thursday morning this was all gone, and I had not made any calls. I'd checked my email but that obviously uses data allowance not call charges, so it must have been TT. Or my iPhone is a rogue one! Before I get stuck in an endless loop of Apple/Orange saying it's TT could you explain exactly how the app works please, what it uses in terms of both data and call credit and whether havng location services active does in fact mean the app is still using up my credit? Thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (1,079 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
MalcolmLLoyd1

Re: My call time and data usage are excessive - can this be TomTom app?

The TT App only needs a data connection if you have a current subscription to TT Traffic Cameras or TT HD Traffic or you use TT Google Search. Other than that it should not need a data connection.

Malcolm LLoyd
Message 2 of 6 (1,072 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
HilB

Thank you for that. I don't have any of those things - I just bought the app from the app store. I used to buy a camera subscription when I had the old GO, but I don't really use the app for cameras, just for route finding. So if it is looking for my location it just downloads data from the internet, and wouldn't use my phone credits? Sorry to sound ignorant! If so, there's clearly a fault with the phone which must be dialliing out somewhere - the man in the Orange shop was convincing when he said it was the TT app continually cjecking where I was, but maybe not!

Message 3 of 6 (1,070 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
MalcolmLLoyd1

To get your location the TT App uses the iPhones GPS signal not the data connection.

Malcolm LLoyd
Message 4 of 6 (1,067 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
HilB

Thank you again - I shall pursue this with Orange/Apple then. So much better if I can't be bamboozled by them blaming TT!

Message 5 of 6 (1,065 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
roadnight

I have used about 10Mb of data on HD traffic in about half a  month - about 1 or 2 Mb for a journey lasting a few hours.

I am on a 250Mb "fair use" contract, and T mobile sent me an SMS saying I had exceeded my allowance - they thought I had used over 300Mb, but that was a T Mobile glitch, as their system said I had used 11Mb the next day.

Message 6 of 6 (512 Views)
Please use plain text.