Apprentice Traveler
JayCra

Legal in France?

Is the Tom Tom app currently illegal to use in France?

I'm going next week and with the threat of a 1500 Euro fine for anyone carry a sat nav with speed camera alerts, it's probably worth investing in something (non TomTom!) without alerts for the trip.

Message 1 of 7 (1,048 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
mydearcosmo

Re: Legal in France?

It is best to contact their local government to check if TomTom can be possible to carry. A friend of mine just went there last month and didn't hear that he had a problem with TomTom regarding such matter.

Message 2 of 7 (1,042 Views)
Please use plain text.
TomTom Employee
Sinny

Our new 1.10 version which is legal in France went live on the appstore in the last 2 hours, so you are ok with that one.

New Traveler
liznick

I am in France now. My iPhone App  doesn`t show me any cameras. I don`t see any items in app menu related to speed cameras. Even inapp store doesn`t containt speed camera purchase.  I had all those items when I was in Italy last month. After that I`d delited app and downloaded it agan right before jorney to France. And everithing (speed cameras items) disappeared. My app is up to date, speed cameras servis purchased and active as I know.  What is wrong & what should I do?

Message 4 of 7 (885 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
kgskaug

Can someone post an update / confirmation to this statement, regarding the legal use or availability of speed camera services in France (even if your're not "subscribed"?). How about the "permanent" cameras (which are signalled in the basic TomTom app even without special service subscription) vs mobile radar stations? Apparently (so I read in the news) the rules in France have been made even more strict now on this point.

Message 5 of 7 (802 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
Hastur

Hi

Having on your device a precise location of speed cameras (as POIs) is illegal. You muse use the "dangerous zones" (sigh) which is the term used for road parts that are flagged to possibly contain a speed camera.

Tomtom application must be able to detect you are in france and act correctly.

This statement is true for *any* sort of "flashing device" : fixed, mobile, on board, trafic light ....

Si tu donnes un poisson à un homme, il pourra manger aujourd’hui. Si tu lui apprends à pêcher, il pourra manger toute sa vie.
-- Zhu De
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Go Live 1000 - Navcore 12.035.991250.74 - Carte Europe 895.4441
Message 6 of 7 (707 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
kgskaug

Thanks - if I understand the latest release notes of the TomTom-for-iPhone app, this is exactly what it is now doing: Indicating "hazard zones" instead of pinpointing fixed camera's. And if my TomTom app is unable to detect which country I'm in, I would be seriously worried about its usability :-) I trust that's ok.

Message 7 of 7 (699 Views)
Please use plain text.