New Traveler
Shaw_Goodwin

Avoid part of 'avoid part of route'

Travelling yesterday and route included a 70mile section of motorway. I knew there was a traffic jam between two junctions later in the journey but 'avoid part of route' only allowed me to avoid the whole of the motorway. Is it possible to avoid only a part of a section of the route? In a similar vain is it possible to navigate to a junction on a motorway? This might be a work around.
Message 1 of 6 (501 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
mydearcosmo

Re: Avoid part of 'avoid part of route'

I am also thinking to do the same, but I just can't see that it is possible. I don't get it. It says "avoid part of route", but it can only close the whole of it and not just a part of the route. Might depend on the runway you are about to crossout.

Message 2 of 6 (495 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
andyrover

I usually use the Travel Via feature to go via a landmark.

I have a similar situation when travelling to Frankfurt airport. I prefer going via the autobahn but TomTom takes me through the little B-roads because it's 'faster' by 10 minutes.
Message 3 of 6 (492 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
johnwesleyellio

Does the Route Options->Find Alternative->Avoid Roadblock give you what you are looking for?  It allows you to avoid the next 100 yards, 400, yard, 1 mile or 3 miles (when set in miles at least)

Message 4 of 6 (461 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
andyrover

Not really.

I use Travel Via when I know I want to avoid a specific part of a trip, or I want the GPS to use a specific route.  eg in my case, to get to Frankfurt I can either use little back roads - which saves about 15 minutes on a 3hr journey - or take the longer route which is 95% Autobahn.  I prefer taking the Autobahn since it's much more comfortable to drive and it only adds 15 minutes.

Obviously, the GPS doesn't know that the Autobahn is an easier drive (ie. less bends, no intersections, no traffic lights, no changing speed limits, etc), so it believes that the route via the back roads is better because it is 15 minutes faster.

This is where I wish TomTom had a 'Prefer Motorways' feature.

I use the Avoid Roadblock function when I come across an inexistent road, a temporary road closure, or some other missing map info.

Message 5 of 6 (459 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Explorer
roadnight

The "fastest" route back from Hambleden lock ( on the Thames) to Oxford (especially when there is traffic on the A404/M40) includes miles single track road, which is not ideal in a large car (and this route would also be shorter and use less fuel), so I would appreciate an "avoid winding/narrow roads" option.

In my old TomTom there were options for truck and towing which would have planned an appropriate route.

Of course, you can ask for an alternative route, or turn off the planned route and it will re-plan a route from where you get to. 

Message 6 of 6 (403 Views)
Please use plain text.