Novice Explorer
burmabaines

TomTom route vs Google Map route.

Hello all. Noob here trying to get used to my new TomTom. I have a question...

I'm travelling from the S. Lakes to the Hull ferry terminal soon and I've had the route plotted on Google maps for a good few weeks. I went for the "avoid motorway" option and it came back with 125 miles, taking 2.56mins. Quite simply A65, A59, A1059 through to Hull. This goes through Skipton, Harrogate and around York ring road.

Plotting the same start and finish destination on the TomTom (with avoid motorway option) takes me a bit round the houses. It tells me it's 134 miles and takes 3hrs 32mins.

The closest the TomTom gets to the Google route is with the shortest route option chosen. It's basically identical to what google maps gives me but the Tomtom tells me it would take 3hrs.58 mins, a time difference of over an hour.

So which one should I trust? I can only guess that going through Harrogate would add roughly an hour and TomTom takes that into account whereas Google Maps doesn't.

Dave

Message 1 of 4 (4,004 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
burmabaines

Re: TomTom route vs Google Map route.

Well I've just found the IQ Routes page and read all about it so I reckon that just about answers my question. An hours difference does still seem a bit much though.

Message 2 of 4 (4,000 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Expert (RIDER)
kumo

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave,

Differences between Google Maps and our TomTom may be caused by the difference of the maps. Google Maps uses their map data, our TomTom uses its internal map for routing. The map data may be different in detail: New streets may be missing at an old map of our TomTom. Different speed limit data for some streets may cause different results in the calculation of the arrival time. And a Rider 2nd may calculate an other arrival time than an Urban Rider because IQ-Routes of the newer unit may cause a difference.

My Rider 2nd with up-to-date map calculates 126 miles / 3:37 hrs for an A->B route from the roundabout east of junction M6 / A590 to the roundabout just before the Hull ferry terminal. Avoid motorways is used, the routing is the same than yours at Google Maps.

The difference of 9 miles at your unit is not clear to me. Did you a use A->B route or did you use the Itinerary planning with waypoints to force TomTom along other streets? Is any waypoint or your starting position set at the wrong (right) lane of a motorway-like street? This may force a TomTom to leave such a street at an exit and to drive back at the lane that is defined by the waypoint.

---
Matthias

Rider 2nd, Map Europe v915 @ 4GB SanDisk SDHC
RIDER 2013, Map Europe v925
VIA 125 LIVE, Map Europe v915
GO 1000 LIVE, Map Europe v925
Environment: Win7 32 bit / Firefox / TomTom HOME 2.9.7.3256 / MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1502

Message 3 of 4 (3,999 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
burmabaines

Hi Matthais.

I would have thought that the internal TomTom map (mine's bang up to date as from 3 days ago) would be the same as Google maps. Particularly as it's a very simple route.

I calculated a clean route with no waypoints on the TomTom.  From LA7 7DP (my postcode) to Hull ferry terminal. The results were:

TomTom                                                                                    Google Maps

Avoid motorway.  3hrs 32mins 134 miles.                         Avoid motorway 2hrs 56mins 125 miles

Shortest                3hrs 58mins 121 miles

Like I say, the Shortest TomTom option was virtually identical to the Google Maps Avoid Motorway option. Yet there was  over an hour difference. I find that a bit difficult to believe but I may be wrong. 

The Avoid Motorway TomTom route was also far from straightforward.

Message 4 of 4 (3,988 Views)
Please use plain text.