New Traveler
caulkehead

Tom Tom Rider 2 does not follow itinerary waypoints created with Tyre

Hi - I've seen some archive correspondence on this matter but nothing definitive. I took a trip last week and created a Itinerary in Tyre which I then uploaded to my Tom Tom Rider 2. I then loaded the Itinerary on the Tom Tom and it listed all of the waypoints with two intermediate and one final destination - so far so good. I made sure that there were no more than 48. Having got this far the Tom Tom then prompts with the shortest route / quickest route / avoid motorways and other options. It didn't seem to matter what option I selected when the device got to load the route it appeared to be following the itinerary but in practice when out on the road it kept trying to send me via the quickest or shortest route rather than to the next waypoint.

Having loaded the Itinerary I was expecting the Tom Tom to go straight to planning the journey without going through the standard options and there does not seem to be a way of by-passing the route-planning option menu. I'm convinced that in selecting any of the route-planning options the Tom Tom then overides the itinerary. Anyone any ideas where I might be going wrong ?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4 (709 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Expert (RIDER)
EXPORTMAN

Re: Tom Tom Rider 2 does not follow itinerary waypoints created with Tyre

Hi

You can still take the, shortest, fastest, avoid motorways etc. As this tells the tomtom how you wish to proceed between way points.

If you use a minimal number of waypoints then probably fastest or avoiding motorways are the best option.

I plan lots of routes using tyre and send them out to friends for ride outs  they usually work as predicted.

Note  Tyre will usually use a very close approximation to Fastest when displaying on the screen unless you have changed the preferences ( google maps- routes)

If you would like to send me your ITN file I can check it for you  just drop me a PM  and I will give you my personal email address.

Message 2 of 4 (702 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Egils

Re: Tom Tom Rider 2 does not follow itinerary waypoint created with Tyre

Hello,

I would also like to report  'does not follow itinerary waypoints created with Tyre' . 

The satnav I have is the TomTom Urban Rider (model 4GC01).

Plotting a route with Tyre works well, and put in waypoints is very straight forward - as is loading the route onto the TomTom. There can be differences between the Tyre route and the TomTom route (checked on 'browse map') as the routing algorithms and tables are inevitably slightly different. However, this is usually solved by adding addtional way-points on the Tyre route to force a better mapping on the TomTom.

So far, so good!.

The real problem emerges when you come to use the TomTom on a a ride. You check the TomTom (browse map) that the route/itinerary you have planned is selected and recognised by the satnav - BUT  - that does not guarantee it will actually follow that route!! It can go considerably off-route - and I have even known it to ignore waypoints to get to the 'END'.

The 'problem' is not with Tyre - but with the TomTom. And possibly, this issue is emerging as Tyre enables waypoints to be programmed easily, and this facility is being used more frequently.

So, is it simply a matter of selecting the correct 'planning preference' - ie shortest/fastest/economical route OR is there a generic flaw in the TomTom Rider programme, and its treatment of multiple waypoints?

It would be good to get a 'grip' on this - so that the TomTom can be used more reliably.

Has anyone found the cure?

Message 3 of 4 (608 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Expert (RIDER)
EXPORTMAN

Re: Tom Tom Rider 2 does not follow itinerary waypoint created with Tyre

Hi

I have used the tomtom Riders 1 through to 3 and not had a problem with Tyre that could not be explained by operator error

The most common problem is misplaced markers.  I try to avoid placing waypoints near junctions.  On dual carriage ways I have the satellite view and make sure the  road map is actually over the photo in the right place and I am placing the pin on the correct side of the road.

I plan out two routes every month for my motorcycle group  this is exported as ITN and GPX files  to accommodate the main sat navs.   We find the routing slightly different between not only the manufacturers but also map versions.  I tell everyone to use the fastest setting as part of my routes usually use motorways to get away from the city

Message 4 of 4 (596 Views)
Please use plain text.