Apprentice Traveler
dave188

Why does my TomTom ONE V3 switch on by itself??

There it is, sitting on the book-shelf in the spare room, not connected to anything - no 12v supply, no TMC(?) radio add-on (that's in the car) and fully charged when it was put there a week or so ago. For some reason my TomTom Go v3 turns itself on and just sits there wasting its battery.

OK, so I turn it off and leave it where it is. Some few days later it does the same thing - turn itself on.

It does it every now and again - no pattern to it from what I can see. It just turns itself on by itself and sits there on the shelf.....waiting.......

Why does it do this? Any ideas?

Thanks in hope....

Dave

Message 1 of 29 (2,373 Views)
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Ditte

Re: Why does my TomTom ONE V3 switch on by itself??

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry for first replying to your question now. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. I suggest you get in contact with our support as they are able to help you with this.
You can call them on this number:
0845 161 0009
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. UTC

Thanks,
-Ditte

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 2 of 29 (2,355 Views)
Please use plain text.
Renowned Trailblazer
zeus15

This problem has been brought up before in the forum. Try this link::http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-ONE-Start-EASE-HOME/tom-tom-one-classic-powers-on-by-itself/...

There also was a post elsewhere which had another fix, but I could not find it. I believe it was a software fix.

Forums can be helpful!
Message 3 of 29 (2,311 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
dave188

Many thanks to one and all who responded (both here and in other posts re this problem), including Holly in Support.

I've not had another self-power-on since removing the ONE Application and re-installing it - this is 3 weeks since this action was taken.

I feel I can consider this solution was the fix. I hope I'm not speaking too early as this problem was random and intermittent - but so far so good.

Dave

PS Thanks to the forum for simply being there and available!

Message 4 of 29 (2,287 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
clockman10

have had the same problem with my tomtom one XL330. It has been replaced two times by tomtom and it still has the same problem.  Tomtom has no fix for this problem it is a factory default and all tomtom products should be recalled and taken off the market

Message 5 of 29 (1,909 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
darkstar750

I've had the same problem with my V3 for over 2 years. I contacted support and they could not fix it.

Unexplained switch ons, or .... in the middle of the night being woken up by a female voice telling me to turn right.

Eventually, I just gave up and bit the bullet, as I'd had enough ......

So today. I just ordered a new 550.

I hope that works better.

Message 6 of 29 (1,727 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
clockman10

I gave up on TomTom and switched to a new Garmin Nuvi 500 no more problems and can now use my GPS for geocashing which I cannot do with TomTom

Message 7 of 29 (1,722 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
karikats

It scared the hell out of me when my tomtom started to tell me to go to the end of the road and turn right, when I had not used it for months now we just tell it to shut up
Message 8 of 29 (1,539 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
jeff88

Mine does exactly the same very spookey when it does and ive not found out why so far any one have any answers?

Message 9 of 29 (779 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,406
Solutions: 554

Try a soft reset (link in my signature) or reload the whole software completely:

1. Save everything from the device/card, using Explorer (or Finder on Mac), include all the files (hidden as well). It is also known as a manual backup: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13354/

2. Then format the internal storage (or memory card, depending which one you use) of your device. Use the COMPLETE format, not the quick. http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12412/

3. Go to TT HOME, Manage my "DEVICE", delete everything from the hard drive and try the update again (in the new TomTom HOME app it is on the second page). At this point you might have to disconnect the device a few times and switch it ON/OFF to enable it to setup some important stuff.

4. Copy your voices and post codes back to the device (also the maps if that didn't download either).

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 10 of 29 (771 Views)
Please use plain text.