ST
New Traveler
ST

Upload problems - data.chk

Hi all,

Having a problem with my ONE. I recently updated and then got the Flashing X on the open screen. Hvae followed all of the instructions on the forum but I get the message, " Could not delete :\data.chk".

I have actually deleted the data.chk from the device and it keeps putting it back there.

HELP

Message 1 of 8 (2,113 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: Upload problems - data.chk

You should NOT be deleting the data.chk file. While Windows will report the file as a fragmented file, it is NOT. The tomtom application is linux based and linux considers the extension .chk completely different from Windows.

Your unit will not work without a data.chk file there.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 8 (2,107 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
JohnKennedy

Re: Upload problems - attach

You could try connecting via a different computer I had trouble with the data.chk recently and after several frustrating days trying to fix my device unsuccessfully I thought it might be my computer causing the problem somehow and was amazed when it updated perfectly when connected via our daughters laptop. I still don't know what caused the problem in my computer so still using the laptop for all updates.

Device Go540live

Message 3 of 8 (2,071 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Melster

I have been having the same problem.  One thing I noted is that windows 7 asked me to do a scan and fix every time I connect the TomTom device to my laptop.  I ignored this several times and tried installing the application with no success – I always received the message “Could not delete :\data.chk”.  I finally allowed windows to do the scan and fix.  After this I was able to load the application with no problem (multiple times for the various versions) and my GPS now starts up and works correctly.  Note I had to reload the voices from Home before the voice prompts would work.  Windows no longer requests the scan and fix when I connect the GPS to my laptop.  Hope this works for you too!

Message 4 of 8 (2,052 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
JohnKennedy

I also had those scans coming up on the old computer and allowed them to do their thing but no success although on several of the scans is said it had fixed errors also I formatted the drive and still no good still the same data.chk error. 

For me it was the change to the laptop that finally fixed the problem.

Message 5 of 8 (2,040 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
mnpd

The problem is unique to the Tom-Tom. I get the "delete data.chk" on every computer I have ranging from XP to Vista Home.  There is no cure for it.  If you have a Tom-Tom the best thing to do is never try to update it.  Not only will it fail to update, but the device will no longer work just because you tried to update it.

You can Google until your fingers bleed and you will not find a cure... there is none; neither is the company in any hurry to address the problem.  Either you have it, or you don't  And, if you do... it's over for you and the Tom-Tom.  You now have a paperweight.

I'm finished playing with this POS, and have tossed it into the garbage bin.  Tomorrow, i'll get a real navigational aid such as a Garmin. 

Message 6 of 8 (1,911 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Twotts

Run chkdsk on the  tomtom and it will update fine on 7

Message 7 of 8 (1,347 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
PattiM

I had the same problem with Windows 7. Here's what I did.

I had originally used the My Tom Tom software for Windows 7. However, my system is only 32 bit so I uninstalled the Win7 and reinstalled with WinXP.

I went to Start - Computer

right clicked Tom Tom

checked Properties

Went to Tools tab.

clicked "Error Checking"  "check now" button

Checked both boxes:  Automatically fix ... and Scan for ...bad sectors

Once this was done, I was able to finish update.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 8 (1,152 Views)
Please use plain text.