Novice Explorer
jenibillu

Touch screen not working

I have tomtom ONE third edition. its touch screen stop working, i tried to reset it by pressing reset button and by connecting to computer but its even not allow me to press ''connect to computer'' button. dont know what to do. tomtom these days getting just waist of money as you pay hundreds pounds and it suddenly stop working...

Message 1 of 43 (34,547 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Navigator
Wyvern46

Re: Touch screen not working

If the screen has stopped responding it may be the internal memory at fault, it is unusual for it to be a screen fault. I don't think you have a slot for an sd card on your device so you can't bypass the internal memory, assuming you do have a back-up of the One's contents on your computer?. So I think you need to phone TT customer support for this.

[aka Guivre46]
Go550Live
Go530T
One XLT WE
Based: West London
Message 2 of 43 (34,514 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
FREIGHTSHAKA

Try to have the tomtom off and connect it to the computer. Once its connected turn it on. If it goes to the "Do you want to connect to the computer?" screen simply find a push pin or a paper clip and push and HOLD in the reset button on the bottom side of the gps. The tomtom will turn off but remain HOLDING in the reset button. Count 30 seconds slowly and then release the button and power on the device. This is to force the GPS to connect to the computer. See,when the screen loses the touch response its basically caused by the TomTom Application being outdated or corrupted. Once connected to the pc you then can go inside TomTom HOME and get all the updates. We can also walk you through it if you Prefer? Call us 1866-486-6866.

“I work for TomTom but the views expressed here are my own.”
Message 3 of 43 (34,487 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

And what is your criteria for an application being 'outdated' may I ask? I mean the 'latest' app for the x20 and x30 seies is 8.351 and it was released in May 2009, almost two years ago!!! Isn't that old?

Candidly, I don't agree with just about any part of your answer:

1. You do NOT have to hold the reset button for 30 seconds to cause a reboot of the unit, no where near that.

2. Lack of touch screen sensitivity is rarely, if ever, caused by an 'out of date' or 'corrupt' application. I mean when a unit is working and then suddendly loses sensitivety, how did the application suddenly become 'out of date' or 'corrupt'?

Can it be the reason? Maybe,  but so can a hardware fault in the unit.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 4 of 43 (34,483 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
FREIGHTSHAKA

DHN let me ask you this. Did you see anywhere in this post an application version? Was it ever explained what version of the application was installed on the ONE 3rd Edition? No. So........maybe,JUST maybe the application version currently on the device is OUTDATED? OLD? CORRUPTED? If the 8.351 that is the latest for this device is currently no on this device then maybe it needs to be updated. You dont have to "agree" with any of my answers,thats fine.

1. It can take anywhere between 15 and 30 Seconds to reboot the Unit,anywhere inbetween that.

2. Lack of touch screen sensitivity is often caused by the application going bad,or out of date.

It can be a hadware issue. But Commonly this issue is caused by the application. If you go for the application as I stated before first and the issue is still the same? THEN,it may be a hardware problem and until then you want to remove and reinstall the application.

Message 5 of 43 (34,459 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

I agree that no application was mentioned. No argument there. I guess we can agree to disagree what the likely cause of the touch screen suddendly not working is.

But you haven't answered how a touch screen is working, then the user shuts the unit off and when next turns it on, how the application has become 'old' or 'corrupt' while the unit was off.

I also do not believe it takes 30 seconds of depressing the reset before a unit reboots. Mind you I only have three of my five different models here with reset holes to judge from personal experience.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 6 of 43 (34,452 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

hi why do tomtom employees seem to get annoyed when a user disagrees with them.sorry tomtom but i would rather take dhn s advice than a customer service reps advice.having emailed them 8 times over last two years they have never solved any of my problems its been left to people like dhn to help me along

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st go live 1000 (dead)
second go live 1000 (dead)
current go live 550 alive and doing what the 1xxx/2xxx/ vias should be doing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 43 (34,440 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Navigator
Wyvern46

I have to agree. Forums have thousands of members who post problems and fixes everyday. Some of us spend hours a day looking at these posts, and have a good understanding of the issues. We are dedicated Tomtom users, which, I assume, is what TT wants. But our relationship with CS does get strained, when we experience less than expert advice, or get taken through the same old rigmarole that we know will not work, or even get the brush off.

[aka Guivre46]
Go550Live
Go530T
One XLT WE
Based: West London
Message 8 of 43 (34,434 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
FREIGHTSHAKA

But where did the User say it was working and then powered off and now once powered on the screen dont respond?

User never stated this.

It can take up to 30 seconds to give a soft reset. UP to 30 seconds.

Message 9 of 43 (34,428 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
AndrewV

[ Edited ]

I would have to agree with DHN. Simply because an application is outdated wouldn't cause the screen to not function correctly. With that line of thinking the majority of computer systems would stop working after a few years simply because the software is outdated. I have a GO 300 sitting here with a version 6 app on it and it works fine.

Corrupt application can certainly cause erratic behaviour with the device, including touch screen problems. So can dirt under the bezel, or a fault in the hardware itself. But I've never encountered an outdated software causing an issue with the screen.

The only thing I can think of where an outdated app would cause something like that is after a bootloader update and then backdating to an earlier app. But I haven't ever seen that in my time with TomTom.

To close, your absolutely correct Wyvern, these forums are for TomTom users. To allow you an avenue to provide solutions or issues you may be having to fellow TomTom users. We are here more to add our input if it becomes necessary to do so. As some of us are privy to more information than the average user. I've also learned never to dismiss some of the suggestions that may seem like there is no way that could work. Which end up solving the issue.

Message 10 of 43 (34,409 Views)
Please use plain text.