Novice Explorer
HARI

Touch Screen Not Working properly.

Hi,

I have a Tom Tom One (3rd Edition) wherein the touch screen suddenly started playing up. The Unit has not been in use for a while, but was working all right this afternoon when I fully charged the device by connecting it to my laptop. When I got into my car, it started playing up.. I could not type in any address ie., whichever key I pressed, it would depress the key on the extreme left. Only the left off the touch screen work and other part off the screen is not responding.

I have reset the device and have restored data back from the PC to the device, but nothing helps.. I have also cleaned the touch screen by inserting a isopropyl soaked cleaning cloth to remove any dust, but that does not help either.

Any clues would go a long way. Thanks...

Message 1 of 15 (7,495 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: Touch Screen Not Working properly.

[ Edited ]

You can try manually re-calibrating the screen using the information in these links.

http://www.martin-kolinsky.com/freeinstructionsfordownload/TomTom%20GPS-Touch%20screen%20calibration...

http://www.yourtomtom.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12622&st=20&#entry111225

If this does not help you are looking at a screen replacement or just a new gps.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 2 of 15 (7,491 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
peoed

I have the exact same problem only the left side works any other key I press a letter to the left pops up tried all the same hings you did nothing help so if someone knows from tom tom what this is please help thanks.

Message 3 of 15 (5,284 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

If you have tried the recalibration but was not able to fix it, the touch sensor (aka digitizer) is to far gone and the only fix is to replace the display.  If the unit is out of warranty, sending it off to get it fixed will cost more than the gps is worth. The only other option is to replace the display yourself which is possible. The cost for a replacement display will be around $50 US.

Message 4 of 15 (5,281 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
peoed

I have no clue how to recalibrate it'sa1605 model looking at what has been posted on calibration min max x & y axis my calib data doesn't even look any thing like what was shown I have 8253 -48 -1113626 51 13435 -1496552 65536 for calibration data ?  7 numbers ? not 4 three number groups not sure what to do worked fine one day the next couldn't enter anything on the right side of the screen so I'm willing to bet the calibration is off somehow how to calibrate it that's the real question ?

Message 5 of 15 (5,277 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

I am assuming you mean the VIA 1605.......whole different ball game.......  I am afraid the calibration instructions are for the Nav2 gps's, One, XL, XXL basically older models that use Home to manage the gps. I have no idea what can be done with models using MyTomTom. You can't read or write files using windows explorer on your model since they use a non windows file system.  I am pretty sure you are stuck returning the unit to tomtom. Some users have been able to get them replaced at no charge even though they were out of warranty.  You will just have to call them and see what they are willing to do.

Message 6 of 15 (5,267 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
bobbieb

I purchased my Start 20 last eveening, set it up on the PC and charged it overnight. First outing this morning. Isuccessfully registered my 'home' postcode. Then entered my desired destination. Set off from home, all running smoothly. Then the device developed a mind of its own - the display kept changing from the road view to other screens, without prompting. So I could hear the oral driver instructions but there was no view of the road ahead. eventually the screen 'froze' - tapping any icon (including the 'back' icon) has no effect. So I am stick with a frozen screen - device is entirely useless. Have tried resetting on PC but to no avail. Have looked through suggestions for 'support' on this website TomTom website but must say there seems to be no effective support or advice twith any relevance. No number to call. I am a very disappointed and frustrating customer. Am i the only person who has had this experience? I plan to return it to the shop and see no case for having another tomtom.

Message 7 of 15 (4,924 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Does that device use Home or MyTomTom?

If the former, use Explorer to look at the contents of the device and look for a scripts folder. Delete any files you see in there.

If it uses MyTomTom, then call CS:

UKUnited Kingdom

0845 161 0009 or 020 7387 5444

Monday-Friday: 9:00am to 5:30pm GMT

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 8 of 15 (4,919 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
aesch

I too have a One with touch screen problems.  Solved the problem short term by buying a new OneXL which got me back on the road.

But - a possible solution.  Decided to autopsy the dead unit, and pulled off the back - four of #9 Torx screws.  I found the battery to be swollen, and have ordered a new battery for it (hasn't come yet).  I'm thinking that the bad battery may have been compressing stuff inside the case, pressing on the back of the screen, and disturbing the calibration.  I'll find out in a couple of weeks when the new battery comes from China.

Message 9 of 15 (2,572 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
pixntex

I have read the description on this post and what is said here is exactly what is happening to mine. every time you press the right hand side of the screen the left will activate after a cople of screen changes the unit crashes and then you can not acsess any thing on the unit to which you have to press the reset button.

I have tried this a few times with no sucsess, it is starting to frustrate me espesially when i am on multi rute, I have also found if I remember to turn the unit off when i get to each destination then it is fine but, I would like it fixed so that I would not have to do this. I also have tried to get to the calebration screen the unit only flashes it up for a few seconds then gose off it will not let me get to this. Is there some thing i can do with it or will i have to send it back for a repair to which i think it might be cheeper to buy a new one....

your sincerely nigel couzens......................

Message 10 of 15 (2,393 Views)
Please use plain text.