New Traveler
lkrug

Tomtom start cannot enter GPS coordinates

Good evening

I am sure many others must have commented on this prime example of a total disconnect of developers with real user requirements.  It is hard to imagine that TomTom can be so out of touch to offer a GPS device that does not allow the user to enter a destination as GPS coordinates.  Surely it would not be more that a bit of software code that can fix this.

Does anyone know of some direct way that one can get this message accross to someone senior at TomTom?

Kind regards

Leon

Message 1 of 14 (6,214 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: Tomtom start cannot enter GPS coordinates

[ Edited ]

Some models have a simplified menu with the bare minumum features, general referred to as "Easy Menu". Some people prefer the simple menu over the standard menu.

Models like the XL350 and XXL550 have the easy menu, models XL340 and XXL540 are the same units with the standard menu that allow entering earth coordinates along with many other features.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 2 of 14 (6,211 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
danielmelanie

I agree, what is the use in buying a gps if you cannot enter coordinates, I think it is very unprofessional and I would rather in the future buy another make.

I really hope someone can fix this, how difficult can it be to add a upgrade for tomtom start users including the coordinates.

Please.

Thank you

Message 3 of 14 (6,046 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,044
Solutions: 222

At the moment navigating to a coördinates destination is only possible on the 'more advanced' navigation devices. The TomTom start is created as a introduction to the GPS industry, which doesn't has a 'complex' menu with lots of settings that can be altered.

However it would be a interesting feature to have on those devices when a user has to navigate to a coördinate destination.:smileyhappy:

Message 4 of 14 (6,039 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

I think coordinate navigation for a car is overated. I have never used that feature except just to try it. An address is usually all that is needed.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 5 of 14 (6,034 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Vlamgat

"The TomTom start is created as a introduction to the GPS industry, which doesn't has a 'complex' menu with lots of settings that can be altered."

I need to correct you here, I have recently purchased this TOM TOM START 2 ("EASE"), as I felt I needed a new GPS considering I was using the TOM TOM START (OLD Version)... So indeed I bought the new and "improved" version the tom tom start 2... the realization set in today that I was ripped off by tom tom as my older version had more features and I could enter GPS coordinates on the old version. Now on the newer version there is no option... to enable a gps to do allow for coordinates is no "COMPLEX" matter at all, GARMIN have set this as a standard in all there chipsets.... so I believe the thinking at tom tom has turned into a thought of money and not the customer... I will not be buying another tom tom again purely for this fact..
Message 6 of 14 (5,559 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

[ Edited ]

I just read on another thread that you could not use GPS coordinates on any of the either the Start or Start2. You can't believe everything you read or hear.

I am not making any excuses for TomTom but lower prices does sell devices. How do you lower the price? Simpler devices.

The problem is that it is often hard to tell what your are getting. I have the XXL 540TM; I still have the box and all the documentation that came with it. I does not say anywhere that it can navigate to coordinates, but it can. The best way to buy one of these is directly from a store staffed by people knowledgable of what they sell so you can have a hands-on look, and be able to ask questions.

Perhaps you can still return yours.

Message 7 of 14 (5,548 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
RedCraig

I'm pleased tp bring this thread up to date, in case someone finds it in a web search.  The current firmware does allow for inputting coordinates.  I'm very pleased about this improvement.  In my case, I often have coordinates for trailheads; the Ease already has the backroads, even forest roads, in the memory so this will be a real convenience.  If you don't have this version, it's probably time to update anyway.

Kudos to Tom Tom for listening to its customers and responding.

Best wishes,

Red

Message 8 of 14 (4,940 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

That is good news. That does make the devices more useful, and shows an effort to improve. Thanks for sharing that!

Message 9 of 14 (4,933 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
hansened

yes. HOpe for the future. No way to get your maps and plan till you first have gotten lost for hours !! 

I hear I can save my POI and saveed fovorites to be able to export and import but must be from 'HOME ' on a pc ? OK then how to get thises on someone elses Tomtom in their car ? 

how about POI/fav's on a thumd drive to plug into the Usb port ? 

Message 10 of 14 (4,043 Views)
Please use plain text.