Neophyte Traveler
Crowbar

Tomtom One can't re-install system files!

I've got a Tomtom One 4N00.004.2 New Edition. The SD card became corrupt and I had no backup so I had to format it back to FAT32. Now when I start Home it wants to install the system software but it keeps stopping at the installation phase saying it can't write a file. Sometimes it's ttsystem, sometimes it's data.chk. It varies with installation progress, but never completes.

I thought it might be the SD card so I formatted a brand new 2GB SD card and I get the same errors...

Error message is as follows...

ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: F:\ttsystem
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
000003EE
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
                    error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
                                        this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
                return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
            this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
            this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:34:42 GMT

Hope someone can help!

Message 1 of 13 (3,755 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: Tomtom One can't re-install system files!

[ Edited ]

First try to reformat the card using FAT16 also called FAT. Your unit may not support FAT32 but I don't know that for sure.

Worth a try....anyway FAT16 is faster when it comes to read / write operations. So when you have 2GB or less FAT16 is generally perferred

Some other things to check is to run a check disk utility on the card after a reformat.

Use a different usb cable. If you are have an intermittent connection during the transfer you can get the same error messages.

If you can try another USB port. Make sure you don't plug into a USB port on a HUB or Keyboard use only the port directly on your pc.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 2 of 13 (3,753 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

You might also try to manually install the software without home or the gps. Install the card in your computer.

go to the following location

C:\Documents and Settings\User_Namer\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete

Here you will find files that have been downloaded to your computer. Open the folder called program

You will find the software for your gps. The files may be in a compress zip format and you will have to unzip them

and then copy them to the SD card. While I have never actually done this with the program files. I have done it with the Map and some other files. It is certainly worth a try and can't hurt.

If you have ever download the map file in the past they are also there in the map folder. Here is a link for manually installing the map files.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10533/~/manual-map-installation

Message 3 of 13 (3,748 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Crowbar

I tried manually copying the files over using Windows and I got the following error...

Error 0x800703EE: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.

I re-tried it a few times and eventually got all the files over to the SD Card but no dice, just get the animated "flying SD card" with a big red "X" through it.

:mansad:

Do you know which files i need to copy over exactly?

Message 4 of 13 (3,733 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

Does your unit have internal memory on it? Some units came with internal flash memory where the software and a map existed. Then if you wanted to install a larger map you place a larger sd card and install the software and map on it and run.

Also did you reformat the SD card in FAT16 / FAT and not FAT32?

Then stick the blank card in and let home try to install the software?

Message 5 of 13 (3,728 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

TomTom One with  memory card requires some system and voice files on the card along with the maps.

It is suggested that you first plug in your device without the card. Do a backup; computer backup would be best. Then safely disconnect the device. Reinsert the card (formating the card is not necessary if it is new; it has already been FAT32 formatted). Now restore your back up files to your device. The files will be written to the card which initalizes the card which allows it to be recognized during updates.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 6 of 13 (3,704 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Crowbar

Right, I've solved the problem by getting a different USB lead. Must've been a really poor quality lead I was using. Reinstalled the operating system using Home but how can I recover my UK and ROI map if I didn't back it up?

I have a code on a plastic card that came with my Tomtom for the map but when I try to activate the code, it won't let me press "Next" so I assume the code is invalid (bear in mind it's from 2007).

I still have the receipt and everything it came in, is there anyway Tomtom would let me re-download the maps i've paid for if I have proof of purchase?

Message 7 of 13 (3,642 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
davejmclean

I am having a nearly identical problem on my 2 day old TomTom One and was reading this thread to see what solution you found. Everything was fine until TomTom Home prompted me to update me map, then the error/crash, and the formatting attempt. I wish I had never plugged it into my PC! My brand new GPS is little more then a paperweight. So a new USB cable was all that you needed in order to get your application/program software to reinstall? I'm using the brand new cable that came in the TomTom box, and am plugged in directly to my PC. Did you reformat to FAT16/FAT or FAT32?

Message 8 of 13 (3,639 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

It's fat 32 but if it's just 2 days old, return it.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 9 of 13 (3,636 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
davejmclean

I guess I can do that, such a pain to pack it all back up and I received it as a gift so I hope they kept the receipt. I was hoping this would be an easy fix, but I've tried everything the Forums and Help can suggest. This doesn't speak well for the product to be perfectly honest, if I have to return to the store it will be to exchange it for a Garmin not another TomTom.

Message 10 of 13 (3,634 Views)
Please use plain text.