Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: TomTom not charging

You should be able to buy a replacement car charger either on TomTom's site or at an Electronics store (Halford's?). Does the unit charge when connected by usb cable to the computer?

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 11 of 30 (3,802 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Petal

I have a Tom Tom which will not hold a charge.  It works fine when connected to the cigarette lighter in the car or if it is connected to house power.  The minute I turn the car off it goes blank.  It is only 8 months old and has been used no more than 20 times.  Any solutions?

Message 12 of 30 (3,133 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Seems as if the battery has failed, since you unit is only 8 months old it should be under warranty. You should contact customer service about getting the battery replaced.  If the gps was not under warranty, you could change the battery yourself but its a bit more difficult then changing the battery in a flashlight.

Customer Service for Australia

1300 135 604
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. AEST

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 13 of 30 (3,131 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
civic

[ Edited ]

Could uou help me getting a new Battery for my TomTom One. 3. ed. and give me a manua/instructions l how to change it ?

Per Jahren (civic)

Message 14 of 30 (3,046 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Here is a video showing how to replace the battery in a TomTom One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVBuXUI4HE

As for obtaining a battery, simply google "TomTom One battery" and you should get a listing  of several suppliers.

As for the torx tool you can also find them at most auto supply stores if the battery supplier does not provide a tool with the battery.

Message 15 of 30 (3,015 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
lindy

Re: TomTom not hold charge in unit

My Tom Tom worked fine in the car at first and now its doesnt charge in car and am not sure that it charges in the computer even if you leave it for a long time.

Message 16 of 30 (2,327 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: TomTom not hold charge in unit

Is there an indicator light on the gps that is lit indicating that the charger is suppling power to the gps?  Does the gps work while it is attached to the charger and dies shortly after disconnecting the gps?

Message 17 of 30 (2,322 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Trudijane

Dazza,

A few questions.  Whe connecting my GPS to my computer to recharge, do I leave my Tom Tom off?  Or do I turn it on along with the computer?  My Tom Tom does not have a green light that shows whether it is charging or not....so how do I know that it is.

I do know when I plug it in the next day to the car lighter, but as I said before, if it does charge, the battery doesn't hold a charge and will turn off when the battery is low.

My previous (similar) GPS never did that or needed the battery charged and if I did not use it for a few days, it would turn on after a few minutes of plugging it into the cigarette lighter.  Cant' figure out what's going on, but I'm not happy with it.

Since it's new, should I return it? Or is there a solution.

Message 18 of 30 (2,039 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Trudijane

ou should be able to buy a replacement car charger either on TomTom's site or at an Electronics store (Halford's?). Does the unit charge when connected by usb cable to the computer?

=============

Elite Voyager,

I don't know why my new gps Tom Tom (EASE) unit shut off in the middle of a trip because the battery is low.  That tells me the cigarette lighter is not maintaining the charge that I get connecting it to my computer.

My previous gps (Tom Tom One) that I bought on E-bay used, never gave me any kind of problems with having to charge it or shutting off while conneted in the car.

The   car charger came with the unit, so since it's new, should I just ask for a replacement charger or entire unit??  I don't know why I'm having these problems.

Message 19 of 30 (2,036 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,348
Solutions: 545

You need the computer on and the TT on for charging from a PC (unless you use a USB hub with its own power supply, but yet the TT needs to be on). The reason why it doesn't hold the charge is that the TT units don't shut down at switch off, just go to stand by, which consumes power. If you want a complete shut down, you need to hold the off button for 10 seconds.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 20 of 30 (2,032 Views)
Please use plain text.