Apprentice Traveler
caltosy
Accepted Solution

TomTom Start 50/55 (4EF00) Keeps Rebooting @ Start-Up

Hi there. I have a TomTom Start 50/55 Model 4EFOO that keeps rebooting itself at start-up. It get's to the Legal Notice screen when first turning on, but will not allow me to hit the "I Agree" button. 10 seconds later it resets and goes to the TomTom logo, then to the 'PC Connected' Start screen (not connected to PC during this process) and then to the... well man walking away with a bag type icon (sorry can't describe it).. then back to the Legal notice screen.

On the upper right during the Legal Notice screen it has the blue bar that says Welcome to TomTom START.. Now.. when I DO plug it up to the PC while it's running in this furiating loop during the Legal Notice splash screen, it resets, go to the TomTom logo, then instantly recognizes the PC connection..

At such time the TomTom HOME runs a update check on all it's awesome features (which there aren't any but fuel prices and other daily updated stuff) but nothing major like a firmware update.. It started doing this when I updated the TomTom Yesterday (2/25/13), but all it updated was the gas/fuel prices, map updates, and it's mapshare and safety cameras.. nothing major..

I Also like to note I hit the little disconnect button on the bottom right of the TomTom HOME launcher before disconnecting the device from the PC.. I wait till it says it's okay to disconnect it.

-------------------

I can't seem to find anything particular on this specific model, and it doesn't seem to have a visible way of factory restoring the tomtom which I'd like to do.. It seems to act that it updated something corrupted and just keeps looping. I'd like to factory restore it.. but I don't really do the backup/restore feature on the TTH launcher anyways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 3 (3,940 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,393
Solutions: 554

Re: TomTom Start 50/55 (4EF00) Keeps Rebooting @ Start-Up

Try to rename the mapsettings.cfg file to mapettings.cf in your device's map's folder. If that didn't help, try this:

1. Save everything from the device, using Explorer (or Finder on Mac), include all the files (hidden as well). It is also known as a manual backup: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13354/

2. Then format the internal storage (or memory card, depending which one you use) of your device. Use the COMPLETE format, not the quick. http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12412/

3. Go to TT HOME, Manage my "DEVICE", delete everything from the hard drive and try the update again. At this point you might have to disconnect the device a few times and switch it ON/OFF to enable it to setup some important stuff.

4. Copy your voices and post codes back to the device (also the maps if that didn't download either).

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 3 (3,929 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
caltosy

Re: TomTom Start 50/55 (4EF00) Keeps Rebooting @ Start-Up

Thank you Zsoh :smileywink: I will try this out and let you know how it goes <3 Appreciate the quick reply!
Message 3 of 3 (3,927 Views)
Please use plain text.