Apprentice Explorer
eugenefinley

Re: TomTom One update using Linux

There are two solid ways to run win on linux machines. Virtual box runs well and will run almost all windows software. A few win't accept the virtualness. There is also wine which works quite well. It seems who ever designed the original tomtom was a linux person since it is the perating system of tomtom. However the people there now do not understand linux or what they are doing or we would not have all these problems associated with the lack of computer knowledge on the part of customer support staff.

At first I thougt it was only my problem, but I can see it is huge and worldwide and has been goingon for a long time. Probably ever since they fired whoever did the original gps software on which the thing is based. It works well, but all the "improvements and updates" are buggy and nearly non functional. Usually these are the signs that despite a great reputation, this company is headed straight to the junk pile fast. I am sure they have all the right credentials, but clearly they know nothing.

Message 11 of 18 (1,668 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
triviacompanion

The problem is primarily related to the way maps are transferred across the wire.

TomTom doesn't supply them in a format that linux can use, it's a closed protocol-ish thing.

The solution is to get TomTom to deliver the maps as plain old files instead of proprietary format. If they supplied them as files that, say, wget or curl could use, it wouldn't be that difficult for the open source community to write software for linux. (you could probably even do it in shell... but I wouldn't recommend it)

This REALLY shouldn't be that big a deal for them! all they'd need to do is provide a web interface (with an account password) that transfers the maps as regular files... or.. if they insist, using rsync.

If anything, it'd be easier than windows... because they wouldn't have to do anything.

Message 12 of 18 (1,579 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Gashog

I did some reading about this. Apparently, TomTom got in trouble with both the Linux community and Microsoft over licencing problems.

Linux is licenced under the GNU GPL, which means that, since the original TomTom OS was Linux, it was supposed to be open source. TomTom was ordered in court to make a big cash donation to some hacker group, and to publish the TomTom proprietary source code. I bet that was irritating!

Microsoft singled out TomTom for a FAT16 copywright infringement of some sort. Very strange.

Anyway, I think we can forget about TomTom giving Linux users even the time of day. That whole mess must have left a very bad taste.

Message 13 of 18 (1,448 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Sidders

I knew about MS and the FAT problem.

As far as the GPL is concerned the source code must be available to any purchaser.

I think the GPL will allow undisclosed proprietary extensions for a fee.

I did once attach the TomTom as USB storage and backed up the code but a restore changed uppercase letters to lowercase, that was several years ago.

I see there is now an Android app and it shouldn't be that difficult to provide a Linux update to the TomTom mounted as USB storage.

Message 14 of 18 (1,444 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Gashog

Re:

The GPL'ed source code used in TomTom GO falls into a number of categories:

The compiler toolchain used to build all the software.
    The Linux kernel for ARM, with modifications by TomTom.
    BlueZ libraries and utilities (under GPL).
    Other third party software (under GPL or LGPL).
    TomTom software (under GPL or LGPL).

A detailed description of these categories follows, including information on where to download this source code and/or its modifications.

If you want to build your own software to run on the TomTom GO, RIDER or ONE devices, and need information or suggestions on how to do so, we suggest taking a look at the independent OpenTom project, on its website: http://www.opentom.org/.
However, please note that TomTom has no control over the OpenTom project or its websites. Therefore TomTom does not officially support it, and takes no responsibility for any problems you might have using it.

Message 15 of 18 (1,435 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
mantis3dfx

...Just received an email from TomTom stating the following:

(Partial extract)
"...Our ambition is to help billions of drivers, like you, to get to your destinations faster, every day.   ..."

IF their "Ambition" is to help billions of Drivers like me, then they would make their "Map Update" application available on all platforms - INCLUDING LINUX!

...It's really not to much to expect, considering their devices already benefit from using Linux firmware, that they "Give Something Back" in return, to the Linux community who made the software available to them in the first place!

They're downright inconsiderate, rude and plain selfish, to be completely honest. 

After previously enjoying TomTom devices for so long,  I can now no longer justify buying them, seeing as I can nolonger update the maps with ease.

Why shoud I have to "Downgrade" my OS of choice, to something like Winblow$ or some "half eaten" fruit OS (who "ALSO" benefits largely from GPL software but gives nothing back that's useful in return!)

In comparison to how much they spend on developing the app for other platforms, it would cost NOTHING really, to port it over to a basic linux binary, which the community could then furthr develop for deployment onto various Linux distro's.  ...Once again, the "Open Source" community would be doing all the hard yards for them - (As usual!)

Message 16 of 18 (427 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
mantis3dfx

[ Edited ]

Kind of defeats the purpose though doesn't it. The whole idea for me was to "SAVE" HDD space, by removing MS's bloated OS completely. Linux runs faster, takes less space, and with the exception of iTunes and TomTom home, runs EVERYTHING else I need painlessly and without problems.

I solved the iTunes problem,  ...dumped apple and went android phone.

NOW it looks like it's time to DUMP TomTom devices, and get a different brand GPS!

Message 17 of 18 (425 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Sidders

If you hook a TomTom up to a Linux box it is detected as USB storage and you can do a backup. Restore is a problem because everything goes to the TomTom arrives as lowercase and the device fails to work with it.

Microsoft's support for USB is poor and other projects such as Software Defined Radio have to use the open source libusb0.dll.

High Speed sound devices are restricted as Microsoft only implements UAC1 (USB Audio Class 1) and not the modern UAC2 which has been around for years. Users of those high speed audio cards have to obtain a driver from the maunfacturer under a NDA license and pay ~$1000.00 for the privilige.

All embedded ARM processor boards use SD cards with one partition as FAT16/FAT32 and the other partitions are Linux EXT4 and swap - no difficulty there.

I don't see any insurmountable difficulty, after all it's all about transferring a blob of data to a device.

In one case when rebuilding a laptop for a relative the Ethernet driver was missing which meant I couldn't get online to install it. I downloaded it to Linux, copied it to a USB stick and installed it on the Windows laptop.

Supplied as a blob, there must be a way to wite it to USB storage (The TomTom).

Message 18 of 18 (418 Views)
Please use plain text.