Apprentice Explorer
eugenefinley

Re: TomTom One update using Linux

There are two solid ways to run win on linux machines. Virtual box runs well and will run almost all windows software. A few win't accept the virtualness. There is also wine which works quite well. It seems who ever designed the original tomtom was a linux person since it is the perating system of tomtom. However the people there now do not understand linux or what they are doing or we would not have all these problems associated with the lack of computer knowledge on the part of customer support staff.

At first I thougt it was only my problem, but I can see it is huge and worldwide and has been goingon for a long time. Probably ever since they fired whoever did the original gps software on which the thing is based. It works well, but all the "improvements and updates" are buggy and nearly non functional. Usually these are the signs that despite a great reputation, this company is headed straight to the junk pile fast. I am sure they have all the right credentials, but clearly they know nothing.

Message 11 of 15 (1,181 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
triviacompanion

The problem is primarily related to the way maps are transferred across the wire.

TomTom doesn't supply them in a format that linux can use, it's a closed protocol-ish thing.

The solution is to get TomTom to deliver the maps as plain old files instead of proprietary format. If they supplied them as files that, say, wget or curl could use, it wouldn't be that difficult for the open source community to write software for linux. (you could probably even do it in shell... but I wouldn't recommend it)

This REALLY shouldn't be that big a deal for them! all they'd need to do is provide a web interface (with an account password) that transfers the maps as regular files... or.. if they insist, using rsync.

If anything, it'd be easier than windows... because they wouldn't have to do anything.

Message 12 of 15 (1,092 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Gashog

I did some reading about this. Apparently, TomTom got in trouble with both the Linux community and Microsoft over licencing problems.

Linux is licenced under the GNU GPL, which means that, since the original TomTom OS was Linux, it was supposed to be open source. TomTom was ordered in court to make a big cash donation to some hacker group, and to publish the TomTom proprietary source code. I bet that was irritating!

Microsoft singled out TomTom for a FAT16 copywright infringement of some sort. Very strange.

Anyway, I think we can forget about TomTom giving Linux users even the time of day. That whole mess must have left a very bad taste.

Message 13 of 15 (961 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Sidders

I knew about MS and the FAT problem.

As far as the GPL is concerned the source code must be available to any purchaser.

I think the GPL will allow undisclosed proprietary extensions for a fee.

I did once attach the TomTom as USB storage and backed up the code but a restore changed uppercase letters to lowercase, that was several years ago.

I see there is now an Android app and it shouldn't be that difficult to provide a Linux update to the TomTom mounted as USB storage.

Message 14 of 15 (957 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Gashog

Re:

The GPL'ed source code used in TomTom GO falls into a number of categories:

The compiler toolchain used to build all the software.
    The Linux kernel for ARM, with modifications by TomTom.
    BlueZ libraries and utilities (under GPL).
    Other third party software (under GPL or LGPL).
    TomTom software (under GPL or LGPL).

A detailed description of these categories follows, including information on where to download this source code and/or its modifications.

If you want to build your own software to run on the TomTom GO, RIDER or ONE devices, and need information or suggestions on how to do so, we suggest taking a look at the independent OpenTom project, on its website: http://www.opentom.org/.
However, please note that TomTom has no control over the OpenTom project or its websites. Therefore TomTom does not officially support it, and takes no responsibility for any problems you might have using it.

Message 15 of 15 (948 Views)
Please use plain text.