Apprentice Explorer
Welcome123f
Accepted Solution

TomTom One...Waiting for valid GPS signal

[ Edited ]

My TomTom One started acting up this weekend. I went to turn it on and when it booted up it went  to a black screen with white  writing. I shut it down and rebooted it and since then it continues to display "waiting for a valid GPS signal". I downloaded the QuickGPS fix but that did not resolve the problem. I even tried  resetting the device to factory settings and that did not even work. I left the GPS on while traveling for 3 hours and it never located a valid GPS signal. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 41 (27,530 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Re: TomTom One...Waiting for valid GPS signal

When you place the device outside in the open air for 15 mintues, does it find a GPS signal then?

Message 2 of 41 (27,528 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Welcome123f

Re: TomTom One..Awaiting for valid GPS signal

no...I had it on for 3 hours in the vehicle and it never found a valid GPS signal.

Message 3 of 41 (27,526 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Yes, that was in the vehicle. But have you also tried it in the open air, so outside the vehicle? If even that does not work, I think the GPS receiver is broken.

Message 4 of 41 (27,493 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Welcome123f

Yes, I have tried it in all locations (in a house with a mouse, in a box with a fox...LOL!!) It locates a valid GPS signal just fine when I plug it into my computer at home and operate it but as soon as I unplug it goes back to waiting for a vaild GPS signal. Any suggestions if the GPS receiver is broken?

Message 5 of 41 (27,482 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Okay. If you use the 'Operate my TT' feature in TT HOME, it fakes the GPS fix. So probably, it does not have a real fix. That also explains the fact that it has no fix when disconnected from the PC. Have you tried to reset the device using these steps: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965? If nothing helps, you could delete all the folders on your TomTom (except for the map folder and its contents). Then connect to TT HOME and let it update the device.  Do you still have warranty?

Message 6 of 41 (27,478 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Welcome123f

I just did the reset procedure following the steps listed. It appears to be stuck in the black screen with white writing. I received my TomTom One for Christmas 2009.

Message 7 of 41 (27,473 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

You could try to reinstall the software. Here, we normally have two years warranty. I don't know how long it is in the US, but you could try calling TT. 

Message 8 of 41 (27,471 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Only a 1-year warranty on TomTom models in North America. Sadly.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 9 of 41 (27,469 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Welcome123f

GOOD NEWS!!! After the reset, I went outside for about 5-7 minutes and it located the GPS signal. All works fine now. Thanks to all for the help.

Message 10 of 41 (27,466 Views)
Please use plain text.