Apprentice Explorer
Mariabarney

Tom Tom One will not start up.

I have tried to start up my tom tom one but it will not switch on. I have tried holding the on button down for 20 seconds - looked for a reset pin hole, but there is not one on this model. It is charged up, as I went for a long drive with it plugged in and I know the charger unit in the car is live as I have had other things connected to it since. Since it was bought it never really held a great charge - is that normal?

Any help.

Message 1 of 56 (10,798 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,393
Solutions: 554

Re: Tom Tom One will not start up.

Doesn't sound good at all. Maybe the battery is dead. What happens if you try to press and hold the ON button for like a minute or so?

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 56 (10,792 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Mariabarney

Thank you for your responce. I tried holding the button down for 1 min, while it was on charge.  An information page came up with details etc of the device. Nothing happened so i turned it off then on again and hey presto - it started. However i just managed to put in a destination and the screen froze and then switched off???? I had to hold the button in again for over 30 secs, i got to the same point and then it froze again and then switched itself off again.

Is this a battery prob?? Is it repairable??

Maria

Message 3 of 56 (10,790 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Most probably battery. What happens when you connect it to the PC, switch it on, tap YES to connect? Is it switching off as well?

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 4 of 56 (10,787 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Mariabarney

Thank you Zsolt for your responce. After plugging into my computer, the tomtom switched on with a drum sound, It showed a white background with an orange centre peice with a pick of the tomtom with a lead connected - but that is all it does. 

Message 5 of 56 (10,761 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Odd. Sounds like it doesn't recognize the internal storage.

Message 6 of 56 (10,756 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Mariabarney

Does that mean that i need a new tomtom or can it be repaired?

Message 7 of 56 (10,719 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Hughie66

Why do you say your Tomtom doesnt have a reset button, my Tomtom One 3rd edition has one on it's bottom.

Message 8 of 56 (10,649 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
cario

I'm having EXACTLY that problem with my TomTom One, same screen and everything - also no reset button on it.  This also happened on my XL and IQ so 3rd Tom Tom in 5 years - if I can't get a solution here, it's off to the bin (avoiding toll roads) and over to Garmin.....

Message 9 of 56 (10,578 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Mariabarney

There is nothing on the bottom of my tom tom only the inlet charger.

I know exactly how you feel Cario. I am quite disappointed with tom tom - my brother in law is also having the same problem. Glad to know it is not just me.

Message 10 of 56 (10,523 Views)
Please use plain text.