Apprentice Explorer
Tomslucky7

Review of the START 55M (no freeway avoidance??)

[ Edited ]

The TomTom START 55M is a decent GPS, especially for that steal of a price ($109.99)

Pros:
- The rerouting is fast and the route is made within seconds.
- The lifetime free map updates, from what I hear, is a MAJOR bonus!
- USB charging + cable so you can charge your GPS and phone if you have a 2 USB port car charger, otherwise it comes with a 1 USB port car charger.
- Easy account setup and updates/installations after you get the TomTom PC application up and running.

Cons:

- NO FREEWAY/INTERSTATE AVOIDANCE! I haven't driven on the highway yet and my car is not something I would feel safe driving with for the first time on there, which is why I NEED that option. It said that there was an avoid highways/toll booth option (which there is) but by highways I guess it means any that don't have on and off ramps. The ones that do are still added to your route, which is what I was NOT expecting. I had to route the destination on my phone to see which highways had on and off ramps, then go into the "avoid part of route" area and remove ONE BY ONE which highways/freeways/whatever I did not want on my route. It still gave me the route I preferred, just a bit of a hassle to get to.

- The speed limit isn't always displayed. It only shows up on some roads.

- The sensitivity is a bit low. Feel like I'm damaging the screen sometimes when trying to press something.

- The windshield mount that came with the GPS sucks. Hard to rotate on the ball joint and doesn't lock to your windshield very well. I used the one I bought with my Droid 3 that's adjustable instead and the GPS fits in there just fine. I recommend getting any other mount except the one that comes with this if you plan on getting this.

- When I first plugged in my GPS to my computer, the GPS recognized that it was plugged into my PC but it didn't automatically start the setup like the card from inside the box said it would. I had to use Windows Explorer and search for *.exe within the GPS storage to find the setup file for the TomTom HOME application.
Message 1 of 8 (2,201 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Re: Review of the START 55M (no freeway avoidance??)

To avoid freeways, you could choose to install the extended menu, see here: http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/ONE-START-40-50-Series-EASE-HOME/How-do-you-set-quot-always-avoid-T... . You can then set this 'Avoid highway' option under 'Planning preferences'. 

Thanks for the review by the way :smileyhappy:.

Message 2 of 8 (2,197 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Tomslucky7

The 'Always Avoid Highways'  option is selected in my preferences, it shows up and gives me a list of routing preferences to choose from every time I enter a destination. When I select avoid highways, it doesn't. I was planning on giving the links in that thread a try tomorrow, in hopes that it will extend the menu and preferences so I can also avoid freeways!

Message 3 of 8 (2,194 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Ah, okay. I misunderstood your problem. If you currently can choose to 'Always avoid Highways', then extending the menu won't work probably as the option is already there now. Could you name a start and end point of a route that gives the problem? Then I'll check if I can reproduce the issue. By the way, which map and application version do you have installed? See here how to find this: http://tomtom.com/12214

Message 4 of 8 (2,184 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Tomslucky7

I will PM you the start and end points. As for the version, my GPS is currently in my car and I will have to grab it after I sleep and wake up later today.

Message 5 of 8 (2,182 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Tomslucky7

My app version is 9.465.1074274.2 OS 842337

and map v895.4449

Message 6 of 8 (2,171 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

[ Edited ]

Okay, I tested the route. If you go from Appleton, WI (City center) to Wausau, WI (City center) and choose to 'Always avoid highways', you're still routed via the State Hwy 10, State Hwy 29 and US Hwy 51. Obviously these are highways. This seems to be a bug in the routing algorithm. Or these roads are not tagged as a highway properly. Either way, I hope someone from TomTom can shed some light on this. Is this really a bug, or is it intentional behavior for example?

Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Tomslucky7

This is what support sent me:

Spoiler
Dear Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Kate and we are always happy to help.

I understand that you would like the device to avoid freeway and interstate avoidance. I do understand your concern. Please rest assured that I will provide required information.

I regret to inform you that currently this feature is not available in any of the TomTom device.

Also we value your suggestions for improvements to our products and services. Suggestions are gathered and organized to understand the areas our customers are most interested in enhancing. Our Product Managers review all feedback to determine future enhancements and products. Many of our current products and updates offer features based on customer suggestions. We certainly value our esteemed customers like you.

As a TomTom customer your feedback is very precious to us and it is the voice of our customers that makes TomTom a success. We want you to know that, we will be there for you and we do value you as a customer.

So maybe in the future it will be an option to avoid freeways/highways with on and off ramps. Until then, I will have to deal with finding and removing the highways one by one from my route every time.
Message 8 of 8 (2,143 Views)
Please use plain text.