Neophyte Explorer
Trudijane

New Tom Tom GPS is not holding a charge....?

First, I had another Tom Tom which was stolen and NEVER had to charge the battery.  As long as I kept it plugged into the cigarette lighter of my car, it continue to build of a charge.

I just got a new Tom Tom Ease and have been having problems getting it to charge and now getting it to keep a charge.  At first, it did not seem to charge by just plugging it into the cigarette lighter of my car.  So - I connected it to my computer all night and found that the next day it DID work to get me a few places so I knew it was charged (altho don't know how much).

It only seems to hold a charge for a few hours - I'm not sure.  I was coming home today and needed to use it and it suddenly just turns off because the battery is low again.  It was attached to the cigarette lighter of my car so I could not understand why the battery was depleted, especially because my other one always came on again after plugging it into the lighter for several minutes if it did not come on for awhile. 

Is there some way to resolve this?  I'm thinking of returning it, but if there's a way to figure out why this is happening, it would save me a lot of time/money.  Right now, I'm once again attaching it to my computer to recharge it.  Why does it suddenly turn off while I'm in the car?  The cigarette lighter IS working.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (428 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,399
Solutions: 554

Re: New Tom Tom GPS is not holding a charge....?

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/ONE-START-40-50-Series-EASE-HOME/TomTom-not-charging/m-p/486856/hig...

As of the shutting down, either your charger is not working in the car or there is something with the USB lead. Does it fit tight?

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 6 (424 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Trudijane

Yes, it fits tight.

I tested my cigarette lighter and it works.  It also charged my previous GPS which was stolen recently. 

I'll have to call where I bought it from.

Trudi

Message 3 of 6 (412 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
vmurr1955

Mine is doing the same thing. it worked until we unplugged the usb from the tom. After that we plugged it back in and it hasnt worked since.

Message 4 of 6 (155 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
vmurr1955

We got the tom online from the company. How do I go about getting it replaced if the new usb that i ordered does not solve the problem?

Message 5 of 6 (154 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,399
Solutions: 554

Try to do a soft reset. Link in my signature. Also there is a possibility that the device has a hardware fault. Anyhow, in case the soft reset didn't help, give them a call. Numbers also in my signature.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 6 of 6 (150 Views)
Please use plain text.