New Traveler
kat87

NO GPS SIGNAL

i have updated my tomtom and still can not get gps signal its getting annoying i use my sat nav for work and can't find a signal anywhere. can anyone help me ?

Message 1 of 10 (6,818 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,603
Solutions: 320

Re: NO GPS SIGNAL

Hi,

which device do you have? Which application version do you have installed on your device?

Did you try resetting the device in an area where you'll definitely be able to acquire a GPS signal? If not you may try that as well.

Regards
Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 10 (6,815 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,387
Solutions: 554

@kat87: Try this:

"Hold the power button until you get to the (diagnostic) screen.

Then......... 3 QUICK taps of the on/off button. About a half second apart: tap-tap-tap.

Then connect to the computer. Hopefully, a screen will open up and offer you the last known good application for your unit. This process is known as a recovery ...

If that works and an application is installed, then hopefully your map will be recognized.

Then connect to the computer again and get the new application with the goal that this time the installation will go properly and your map recognized."

And this:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/SOLUTION-for-the-GPS-SIGNAL-issue/m-p/2...

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 3 of 10 (6,798 Views)
Please use plain text.
LGO
Novice Explorer
LGO

Re: NO GPS SIGNAL after online download and Forum suggested fixes...

Well, I tried the various suggestions found in the Forums, connected to TOMTOM online and downloaded the little software that was available  The hold, tap 3 times, reset method changed the ? question marks on streets to street names FOR AWHILE, but there is still no GPS signal.  I also recharged the battery completely before trying anything and took the unit outdoors to do the reset.  I tried it a second time and now the ? question marks have returned...  I think this unit is shot.  I might wait a day or two and try again, but I expect the unit is a total loss.  The trade in value at BEST BUY is only one dollar for working units...

I really liked the simplicity of TOMTOM, because they had a good idea, but I doubt I'll get another TOMTOM product. 

There are just too many reports of problems, which tells me the units are NOT thoroughly tested before distributing to retailers, so that means the software engineers are not, or were not, following good quality process. 

Not that Garmin or other brands are any better... I'll have to visit any available Forums for those to determine whether they have similar problems.  Funny thing, I bought 7 or 8 of these units, 1 for myself, and the others for gifts.  Some of the recipients never bothered to use them, but those that did had problems and tossed them out.  I really need a good, working GPS unit as I do a LOT of driving in unfamiliar places for work.  When it functions, a GPS unit is a great navigation tool. I wish my TOMTOM was still working...

Message 4 of 10 (6,746 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

You did not mention the model gps you have. Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the software in the gps? Also if the unit is still under warranty you can allows send it back for a new one.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 5 of 10 (6,680 Views)
Please use plain text.
LGO
Novice Explorer
LGO

Base TomTom One  (PB first 2 chars of serial), and I did mention it in an earlier post.

Well, I lucked out.  MY TomTom One is shot, but one of my family had never used the TomTom I gave her as a gift.  Therefore, she's given it back to me for my use, so I'm temporarily less lost.   As mentioned previously, I bought a bunch of these units on sale a few years ago and gave them as gifts.  For the sale price, I got a lot of use out of the little guy, but he'd still have a lot more to give if only the support and maintenance was more comprehensive.  I hope TOmTOM's parent company makes improvements.  A good, WORKING GPS unit is a necessity!   Thanks for trying to help, I do appreciate it. 

Message 6 of 10 (6,627 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
lhoangnam

I had the same problem ! bloody anoying having to reset all the time!

Connected the device to the comp to update and sign into the MyTomTom account on the device itself in order to work!

Remember, the username is the whole email address !

Bloody Tom Tom make you sign in before making the GPS to work ! stuff you Tom Tom

Message 7 of 10 (5,956 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
timothymaxx13

I am afraid that there are absolutely no cures for the suffering of Tom.  I bought a device with little research and now I am unhappy.  I have seen all of the aforementioned woes with my own device and have found no cure.  Time to face the music and admit that there is no hope for us and the Tom navigation system.  I will stick with my Atlas for now

Message 8 of 10 (5,643 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
bryancogley

I have a TOM TOM START 60 - in fact this is the third one(Same model) since early June and each one has failed to obtain a GPS signal and retain it for any length of time. I have delayed my journeys in the hope of obtaining a sustainable signal but either the message "Awaiting GPS Signal" has come up, or as in the case of my first of the three the signal would get lost on my journey and it would say "GPS Signal lost x minutes ago". Please can you help? Would an antenna help?

I would add that I owned an earlier model of TOM TOM and had no trouble when used in the same car.

Bryan cogley

Message 9 of 10 (2,805 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,387
Solutions: 554

Install the latest update. It is 12.065 at the moment. You will need MyTomTom to do so. Then do a soft reset. Link in my signature. Do you happen to have a heat protected windscreen by any chance?

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 10 of 10 (2,794 Views)
Please use plain text.