Novice Explorer
ploatman

Ease - Model: 1EX00 - Won't turn off, froze during update.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I bought this a few days ago and decided that i would get it ready for a trip i'm taking in a few days, so i un-boxed it and plugged it into my PC, got the software installed, then it said it needed to update, so i let it update, as it was updating i went to do something else and forgot that i was in the middle of setting this up. Eventually i remembered and i got back to my computer to check on it and it still showed that it was updating.

Now, this was about 3 hours after i left it, so i figured it was frozen and decided to cancel and just try again. When i cancelled, the software responded and closed the update window, but now the actual device is frozen and won't turn off or respond in any way.

I've tried holding down the start button for half a minute and it just doesn't do anything.

I know this has an internal power source, probably some kind of battery, i can't get to it without removing a sticker on the back, i don't want to do this incase it voids the warranty, but i don't see any other way of shutting this off, other than waiting for the power to die.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Paul

Message 1 of 9 (3,955 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: Ease - Model: 1EX00 - Won't turn off, froze during update.

Take off the back cover. Beside the usb port is a reset hole. Put a paperclip in there to reset the unit.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 9 (3,951 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
ploatman

I didn't realize the cover could be removed, i found the reset button and that did the trick, i'll update after i get it updated.

Thanks,

-Paul

Message 3 of 9 (3,949 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
ploatman

Ok, i turned it off using the reset button as suggested. That turned it off, but now it's unresponsive every time i turn it on and the only way to turn it back off is with the reset button, it doesn't work at all. The software says there are no updates.

Message 4 of 9 (3,948 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
ploatman

Ok, i went ahead and found a help page which explained how to uninstall everything from my computer, which i did. I then reinstalled the software, and it still was telling me that there were no new updates. So i decided to remove all the files from the device and reinstall everything, in case it was corrupt or something. After it downloaded and installed it said "Restarting Your Navigation Device".

It's been sitting on this screen for at least 20 minutes. The only option i have is "Cancel". The device itself just shows the TomTom Logo and is unresponsive. I can't turn it off with the start button, i imagine it can turn off with the reset button but that doesn't really help as it probably won't do anything after being turned back on.

I'll attach a screen shot of the restart window.

tomtomerr.jpg

Message 5 of 9 (3,936 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Is your device connected to the computer when you see that screen?

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 6 of 9 (3,926 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
ploatman

Yes, the device is physically connected, but the software disconnects it when it does this, i assume it's trying to turn it off and back on. However, the device itself won't turn off, i have to use the reset button to turn it off at this point, when i turn it back on, it says it's completed installation, but then the device simply doesn't function, i'm not sure if it's a software problem or a hardware problem.

Last night i reformatted the device and reinstalled everything and it's still not responsive, when i turn it on by itself or while on a car charger, it gives me the TomTom logo, then a short loading screen, then it goes back to the TomTom logo and freezes there.

Message 7 of 9 (3,921 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Aaron_15Murray

Same problem here have you found out any problems yet or how to get the TOMTOM back in progress

Message 8 of 9 (786 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,135
Solutions: 512

Maybe the storage of your TT is faulty. Try to run a ScanDisk or CHKDSK /R on the drive.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 9 of 9 (758 Views)
Please use plain text.