Novice Explorer
leicester_boy

Cannot connect tom tom to pc

Hi to all the Tom Tom experts,

I am a new user of Tom Tom and recently purchashed Tom Tom one (IQ Routes Edition).

Since it is 3 years old and the maps have not been updated on it, I tried connecting it to the computer but it wont show up on my pc.

I tried downloading some Tom Tom software and it still wont show connected. I went to 'My Computer' folder and it does not show as being connected although it charges for some reason when I connect it to the pc. This shows the data cable isnt faulty. I switched on the Tom Tom when connecting to my pc, but the tom tom does not prompt for any questions or suggestions.

I am a complete layman with this and dont know where to begin. I use Windows 7 professional.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 22 (6,902 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Re: Cannot connect tom tom to pc

Did you download myTomTom or TomTom HOME? You should use the latter one. Have you tried a reset on the device? See here how to do this: http://www.tomtom.com/6965. Do you have the possibility to test on another computer?

Message 2 of 22 (6,899 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
leicester_boy

Thanks for your reply. I uninstalled all tom tom software and installed tom tom home as advised by you.

I also reset the device. I could hear the drums rolling after holding the on/off button for about 20 seconds.

I then opened the tom tom home application. Logged in through File>Log in and entered my user name and password.

It then shows my email address on the left and to the right it says - 'Please connect a navigation device'

I connected the tom tom to the pc via the data cable but to no avail. It says 'No Device Connected' at the bottom right.

Could there be a problem with the internet firewall which is preventing the pc from connecting to tom tom?

I have tried it on my brother's pc but faced the same problem.

Cheers for reading..

Message 3 of 22 (6,893 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Did you turn on the TomTom and then connect to the PC? If so, also try to first connect the device to your PC and then switch on the TomTom. Another cause could be the cable itself, if you have another one you could try the other cable ( I think the fact that it still charges does not automatically mean that data transfer is also working properly). Are you able to access your TomTom via Windows Explorer? Is your Windows installation 64-bit?

Message 4 of 22 (6,876 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
leicester_boy

hi ya,

I have tried using a different cable on a different pc but the result is the same. Yes I am trying on Internet Explorer. Not sure about the bits, how do I check that?

I think it doesnt work because I have Windows 7 and Tom Tom Home is compatible with Windows XP. The other computer that I was testing on had Windows XP but it had My Tom Tom installed on it.

I guess the correct cmombination is: Windows XP with Tom Tom Home..I will give it a go on that other pc

Thanks....

I was reading some forums and came across this:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-x00-x10-x20-x30-x40-x50-HOME/Tom-Tom-Home-No-device-connected/td...

Read this:

Just had a brain wave. Decided to run Home as administrator, this didn't make any difference, then tried compatibility mode choosing XP service pack 3. Immediately Home started it suggested I back up my device before making changes. I let it do this, and now I'm in the process of updating my maps, so it looks as though either running in compatibilty mode or running in compatibility and as administrator has solved the problem. I haven't tested just using compatibilty as I'm not certain how to undo the run as administrator, which appears to be a permanent change as the UAC widow pops up each time I start Home now.

Message 5 of 22 (6,865 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

[ Edited ]

Windows 7 shouldn't be a problem. I'm also running Windows 7 together with TomTom HOME and do not experience any problems. Are you able to access the TomTom via Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer)? Did you try the suggestions from that other topic? It's worth a try of course :-). To check whether your Windows is 32 or 64 bit: Right click on 'Computer' and choose 'Properties'. Then it's written behind 'System type' (see the image below). 

3264bit.png

Message 6 of 22 (6,862 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
leicester_boy

hi ya,

I went to Windows Explorer but cannot see Tom Tom Home application in there. I had to click on Desktop (under Windows Explorer) and then I could see the Tom Tom Home icon there. Not sure if this what you mean accessing through Windows Explorer?

I dont know how to do the Windows XP compatibility mode through Windows 7? Any suggestions?

I followed your instructions and confirm it is 64 bit.

Thanks for all your help..

Message 7 of 22 (6,840 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Right click the desktop icon for Home. Properties. Compatibility and select XP.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 8 of 22 (6,838 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

leicester_boy wrote:

Not sure if this what you mean accessing through Windows Explorer? 

I meant whether you could access the TomTom drive (for example F:\) via Windows Explorer. If you can, then the device is able to communicate with your PC and the problem lies probably with TomTom HOME.

Message 9 of 22 (6,814 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
leicester_boy

No I could not access TomTom drive via Windows. It just doesnt show up on the pc. I have tried xp mode as well but to no avail?

Message 10 of 22 (6,811 Views)
Please use plain text.