Community Manager
Ditte

TomTom and privacy

Hi all,

TomTom has been cooperating with the Dutch Data Protection Authority (the "CBP") in recent months to confirm TomTom is fully compliant with privacy laws. The Data Protection Authority found that TomTom has never shared its customers' private location data with third parties. It also states that TomTom should be clearer in communicating to its customers about how their data is used to generate TomTom's mapping, routing and traffic services.

To this end, in February there will be a software update on all TomTom consumer products. This update will provide customers with detailed information about what customer location information TomTom gathers, how TomTom uses customers' location data and how customers can easily opt in and out of sharing their location data if they wish to. TomTom has a created a dedicated section on http://www.tomtom.com/yourdata, to clearly explain how it uses and safeguards location data.

To read the full press release, click here.

Thank you for your attention,

-Ditte

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 1 of 8 (2,820 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,345
Solutions: 543

Re: TomTom and privacy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/28/tomtom-satnav-data-police-speed-traps

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 8 (2,780 Views)
Please use plain text.
bud
Neophyte Explorer
bud

unbelievable :robotmad:

Message 3 of 8 (2,776 Views)
Please use plain text.
amk
Neophyte Explorer
amk

well this is really awesome 

Message 4 of 8 (2,562 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Coming back to the anti-privacy subject, I hope that Tomtom also got the details of those speed traps to be able to include in the speed cam database...

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 5 of 8 (2,544 Views)
Please use plain text.
LDT
Neophyte Explorer
LDT

I've just updated my Tomtom unit using Tomtom home and it's installed some firmware update. Now I do not seem to be able to use Live services unless I agree to my data being shared and used by Tomtom. This is blackmail. I've paid for a subscription for live services and unless I agree to being spied on by Tomtom I cannot use it. If I had known this about this update I would not have installed it.

I don't want my data shared and I want my Live services back!!!

Message 6 of 8 (2,503 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Unhappy24

My Tom Tom has been stolen from my vehicle. Can you detect where it is? Or at least make it useless to whoever stole it?

Message 7 of 8 (1,652 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

No, they can't. Make sure though you report it to the local law enforcement, and to TomTom customer services.

Message 8 of 8 (1,647 Views)
Please use plain text.