Community Manager
Ditte

Speed Cameras in France

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Update here. Please update your TomTom Navigation Device.

Since 4th of January 2012 a new law in France makes it illegal to be warned about the location of speed cameras while you are driving. Go to http://www.tomtom.com/5560 to learn what to do, to ensure you stay within the law when driving in France.

All French users can refer to this French FAQ: www.tomtom.com/5565.

We also have these two videos showing you how to disable the cameras and then check that they're actually disabled:

How to disable speed cameras:

How to check if cameras are disabled on your device:

Thank you for your attention and safe travels,

-Ditte

Edits: Format and added links and videos.

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
peebs24

Re: Speed Cameras in France

Whatever happened to "The implementation of the new law in France has been postponed. We do not have a new date yet. For now we have removed information about France from the FAQ."???

When can we expect the new 'warning' software?

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Peter

Message 2 of 414 (16,509 Views)
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Ditte

[ Edited ]

Hi Peter,

The FAQ has been updated with the information regarding the new legislation in France.

I currently have no information about the release of the new 'Danger Zone' software. We will update you guys here on the forum as soon as we have news about it. :smileyhappy:

Update: So far what we know is that the French government will determine specifications that describe how the new service, based on 'Danger Zones', shall work. These specifications are not yet clear and we are therefore not yet able to provide the service.

All the best and drive safe.

-Ditte

Edit: Update

Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 3 of 414 (16,457 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Mimile

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm a french customer and I have got a Via125. The update of the radar database through MyTomTom doesn't work as there is no element to download ... So, despite of the announce, there is no actual action to update the device at the moment ... Is this only a "vaporware" information or is there anything I missed ?

Mimile 

Message 4 of 414 (16,335 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Witsinfr

Question: Whilst we know how to disable to Speed Camera function within our units, how are we expected to go about updating our systems when TomTom only support Windows and Mac users???

I'm a Linux user, does this mean that I now have to go out and find someone with a Windows computer that's willing to let me user their computer to get updates...!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TomTom XXL (Europe mapping) // Garmin nuvi 255w (replaced by the XXL)
Message 5 of 414 (16,317 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,044
Solutions: 222

Unfortunately Linux isn't supported currently by TomTom, i'm not working for them so I don't why Linux has been left out. The only way to update the device to the latest navigator version or installing map updates or maps from other countries,.. is to use a Mac or Windows Operating System if you wish to keep the device up-to-date.

Message 6 of 414 (16,305 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Witsinfr

Thanks Stefan, I did know that, just wanted to get it out there and keep it out there about their unwillingness to have a Linux updater even though most satnavs use Linux of some form as their internal operating system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 414 (16,300 Views)
Please use plain text.
Psk
Apprentice Traveler
Psk

We're now early January 2012 and there is still no software update regarding "danger zones". The update release is now urgent. Don't you have any information ?

Message 8 of 414 (16,197 Views)
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Ditte

[ Edited ]

Hi again all,

In order to ensure you're compliant with the law, we've prepared some routes that would have previously alerted you to cameras should they be installed. Please follow the steps below to make sure you're up to date!

Prepare a route or Plan route from City Center in Blagon(Lanton):

To City Center in Le Las (Saint-Jean-D'illac):

After the route has been created, tap on Details then tap on Show route demo.

If you're alerted during the route demo, please have a look at the FAQ to remove the speed cameras.

Another route you can test:

From Chatou city center to Le Pecq city center.

All the best,

Ditte

Message 9 of 414 (16,172 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Witsinfr

Are the speed camera positions in France simply held in a file that could be deleted manually by way of a file explorer. I run Linux and can see the various files held on the TomTom, it's just the updating software that does not appear to run on Linux.

Message 10 of 414 (16,168 Views)
Please use plain text.