Revered Voyager
sallor225

Re: No GPS signal

I thnk TomTom support had to be extremely overwhelmed by this problem. First to find a fix; and the emails keep coming; then when the fix is in  it doesn't work for everyone, or they are not doing something right. It has taken me a lot of time just going through all the posts on this thread to clean up my email.

My XXL 540 was not affected by this problem, so I am lucky. However, I have found that once you have lost a gps fix, it does sometimes take a while to reestablish. In my case, before I planned a route; no satelite fix,  when I planned a route, especially from a POI near to my location the process  was immediate.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 1031 of 1,978 (2,384 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Sjohnson20

I rebooted until I heard the drums and that fixed it! This is a via 1530. Im in the US. It didn't work until I heard the drums.
Message 1032 of 1,978 (2,359 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Mikestomtompos

Still doesn't work. I've run the update, reset the device at least a dozen times, and had it sitting in an open yard with no obstructions and clear skies for more than 2 hours. Help!!! This died on me last weekend while trying to navigate a large city in a foreign country. If anyone knows a solution or of a class action lawsuit, please let me know.

Message 1033 of 1,978 (2,454 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Mikestomtompos

I finally got it to work. Thanks to the one post that says you must hold the power button down a long time. I had to hold the button to turn it off for 2 minutes until the drum beats sounded. Yes, 2 minutes of holding a button for the reset to take hold.

Message 1034 of 1,978 (2,451 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Rick59

Has anyone from TomTom actually tried the software update from teh MyTomTom site.  I have repeatedly loged onto the site and it tells me no updates available and that my navigation device is up to date.  I have powered my TomTom 1530/1535 multiple times and still getting the searching for GPS signal.  Please would somebody from tomtom email me with what really needs to be done!!!!!   You have a major problem and very poor fix.

Message 1035 of 1,978 (2,450 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,291
Solutions: 537

@Rick59: Which software version do you have on your unit? Have you tried to empty the cache in the MyTomTom application's settings menu? Try with Google Chrome or Firefox.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 1036 of 1,978 (2,436 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

The instructions at the beginning of this thread say to install app 11.036, then do a drumroll reboot.

I found this isn't entirely sufficient to fix the GPS issue.

You need to:

1) install app 11.036

2) go somewhere with a clear view of the sky

3) do a drumroll reboot with a clear view of the sky

4) wait for GPS connection

If you do a drumroll reboot indoors so that the device doesn't get GPS signal, the bug doens't seem to be repaired.

mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Message 1037 of 1,978 (2,434 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
The_E

For those that are having trouble connecting, retreiving and installing update; try the following:

- Turn off TomTom

- Press and hold the Power button until you hear the drum roll (reset device)

- Clear cache in MyTomTom

- Connect device to computer, sign in / Log in.

- Update should download to computer and install on device

- After install, turn off TomTom device

- Head outside to a clear line of sight for optimum GPS signal availability

- Press and hold Power button until you hear the drum roll (reset device)

- GPS lock should happen within 5 minutes maximum.

- If GPS Lock fails after 5 minutes, reset device again.

This worked for me. Actually, when I initially downloaded the update it crashed my mac.... just *poof*... total crash, Safari overload. Restarted mac, cleared cache and followed the steps above. Worked like a hot-**bleep**.

I hope this helps those stuck.

Best of Luck!

Message 1038 of 1,978 (2,427 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
startz2000

I read on here yesterday a post by someone that said to do a hard reset.......hold the power button down until it goes to a black screen with white writing on it, leave it on that screen for 5 minutes.  This worked for me.  I had done the soft reset severl times only to find that it only worked for a minute or two and sometimes not at all and if it did work for any amount of time and you turned the power off,  I had the same problem next time I turned it on.  Ever since I did the hard reset mine seems to be ok, locked in on 7 satellites and my husband took it to Nashville, Tn yester (300 miles) and he said it worked fine.  Even with this it may take up to 5 minutes to get a signal but mine seems to be coming up in about a minute or so.

Message 1039 of 1,978 (2,404 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
miniroea

Updated, restarted (6 times) still no valid GPS signal, what do I do now?

Message 1040 of 1,978 (2,374 Views)
Please use plain text.