Community Manager
Ditte

Re: Windows mobile 7 phone

Hi all,

I read this thread with interest, so I just want to give a quick reply to your feedback about TomTom for Windows 7 smart phones.

As you're probably aware by now, none of TomToms employees can comment on possible future products. This includes wether the product is already in development or not.

All new TomToms products will be announced in a press release.

With that said, it's great to read your feedback about what TomTom products you would like to see. :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Ditte

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 21 of 61 (1,667 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Flying_Kiwi

Further to my post on the previous page, I've since found this interview with none other that TomTom's MD Corinne Vigreux and Around half way down the page the Managing Director states in response to questions about plans to release TomTom for other platforms that 'For Windows Phone we are not planning to release anything.'

That seems pretty clear to me and no reading between the lines was required at all. My TyTN II will continue in its role (and my  Tomtom Navigator upgrading money will be staying in the bank). Unfortunately it appears that only the Managing Director is allowed to give direct answers to questions like this.

Using TomTom Navigator 7 on a vintage HTC TyTN II (from 2007)
Message 22 of 61 (1,661 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
chasbite

well, the longer it takes the more I get used to garmin and google maps which saddens me because the more I use the G product the more I realise TT understand how humans work!

However, lets remember who created this problem: NOT TT but Mr gates and his Micro$$$oft 

The quality of app available generally for the windows phone is dire so unless it changes in the next 6 months I guess Mr Jobs may be getting my biusiness - and then I may port from wndows altogether!

But meanwhile we can but hope TT are allowed to code into windows phone

Chas

Message 23 of 61 (1,656 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Flying_Kiwi

chasbite wrote:

well, the longer it takes the more I get used to garmin

ohhhh such language - great to see you referred to it as the 'G word' soon after:smileywink:

However, lets remember who created this problem: NOT TT but Mr gates and his Micro$$$oft  

I believe legal wrangles (like dancing the tango) have two sides to them and without both, they don't exist. Without TomTom Navigator on a future phone of my liking, there won't be a future phone and it's up to manufacturers to entice me, not for me to try and push the manufacturers. Apart from looking old, the current one meets my needs anyway - I even saw some old stock of them available new for about £130 a couple of months back (I was tempted to buy a second one).

Message 24 of 61 (1,649 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
GeoffLad

'However, lets remember who created this problem: NOT TT but Mr gates and his Micro$$$oft'

Sorry chassbite,what absolute drivel-Knock knock is anyone there?ERM guess how to update your Tomtom.

Why yes,Its through a PC that Mr Gates has had a major hand in developing.

Also to say 'Oh and 'I guess Mr Jobs may be getting my biusiness - and then I may port from wndows altogether!'-

Well surprise surprise a Mac supporter-wouldn't have thought that from the comments above (rolls eyes).

I personally believe an App will come as more people buy a Windows 7 smart phone-

For me patience is a virtue-Its early days yet.So much negativity these days-I want,I want,Iwant it now syndrome.

Bide your time guys-Patience !

Message 25 of 61 (1,624 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
chasbite

Well Geoff Lad

it was M$ who designed windows phone with less functionality than WM 6.5 [the platform on which I was cheerily running my TT software - - no outlook syncing, no cut and paste, no disc drive ....  It was m$ who decided to dump the WM6.5 community with nil backward compatibility. It is M$ who insist on us all moving to the cloud - which is fine until the windows live site crashes -  or there are issues with lack of compatibility between different versions of one note which mean you cannot get at them on the cloud  - except using the one note version on your PC at home!!!

Now - my fault for falling sucker to M$ - true

But TT worked perfectly well on WM6.5

It does NOT work on WP7 - and it is therefore just another example of the high handed way M$ operate

As for patience - well I have had my WP nearly a year now. It took them 6 months to introduce cut and paste. You still cannot send a contacts details in single mail or text.  How long do you think we should wait?  

I have never used a Mac or iPhone but I am simply pi$$ed off at M$ constantly changhing the interface eg  Window 7

It just seems that Android and Apple have cracked it and do value their customers.   And TomTom are caught in the crossfire. and from what I have seen the apps for the Android and iPhone are streets ahead having had years to be developed.

Message 26 of 61 (1,614 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Flying_Kiwi

[ Edited ]

GeoffLad wrote:

Bide your time guys-Patience !

Very well put. If a phone manufacturer (or the manufacturer of it's operating system - any of them) doesn't produce a product that's to a potential customers liking, what's the hurry? People should just stay put with their existing models if they're unhappy with current offerings until something suitable does come along. Vote with your wallets folks and make those manufacturers/software publishers really earn what you're paying for!

Message 27 of 61 (1,604 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
njonesn

GeoffLad/Flying_kiwi, could not have put it better myself. We all have the ability to choose.

I have chosen to own a WP7 device and I am extremely happy with it. If I was not I would choose to go to Apple or an Android phone. Having used both before I currently choose to stick with WP7.

If TomTom do not release a Navigation app for WP7 soon I may choose to go elsewhere for my smartphone navigation needs; especially when Mango is released (the beta is already publically available to developers) which will include a turn by turn navigation service out of the box. I expect it will need a data connection so I would prefer TomTom but TomTom it’s not available I may choose to stop waiting or if the WP7.5 navigation is good enough I may choose to wait longer.

Also, I created this thread to discuss the possibility/lack of TomTom for WP7. Please can we refrain from turning it into a bashing topic. If you want to discuss your feelings about Microsoft or WP7 please start a topic specifically to discuss this.
I would like this topic to remain on topic in the hope that it will grow and continue to receive posts relevant to its purpose which may increase the consumer’s voice at TomTom. They then may choose to develop for WP7.

Thanks all

Nathan

Message 28 of 61 (1,598 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
GeoffLad

[ Edited ]

I just wonder if Tomtom are waiting for the release of the 'MANGO' update ? (which all windows phone 7 owners will get free in the Autumn) in order to roll out a suitably 'tailored' App ?.

I hope so myself, as previously put by other people,it would be a shame to miss this opportunity

Message 29 of 61 (1,591 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
njonesn

I do wonder this myself. I am surprised that there are no turn by turn navigation apps for WP7 out there. This brings me to thinking that there could be something restricting this type of app currently however as Wp7.5 will have turn by turn out of the box I don't think its unsafe to assume that other vendors should be able to produce something....I for one can hang on and see.

Message 30 of 61 (1,580 Views)
Please use plain text.