Master Explorer
PatheticLoser

it's our job to update maps??

after reading all of these posts with the same complaint, useless outdated maps, and the main response seems to be that after paying for my TT and paying for an "updated" map which is at least 5 years out of date it is my job to make mapshare updates so TT can have a more current map. this is nothing more than a scam.

Message 1 of 53 (1,135 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,595
Solutions: 320

Re: it's our job to update maps??

Hi,

TT tries to keep track of road changes being made all over the world. But as no company can cover all roads worldwide to check for changes every quarter of a year it takes some time that TT or better the mapping company Teleatlas notice the changes.

Therefore they need to be informed about changes so they can check those changes and implement them in their next map updates. If this isn't done by either the construction companies or the governments' appropriate departments TT/Teleatlas have no chance of getting all those roads. Therefore they rely on customers sending map corrections as well.

But this is done by Navteq (the only other map provider for PNDs) as well. These companies all depend on getting information about road changes from every source they can get this information from.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 53 (1,128 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

Quite correct AND the choice is voluntary.  An owner is not by any means obliged to report anything that differs from reality in the map in use.  I'd almost go so far as saying if you don't want to join the Map Share initiative then one should not complain .... but I won't say that because even a remark about poor mapping is enough of a pointer to us that something needs attention :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
danhague

"A perfect software is always a work in progress" That's the quote I got from one of the admins here. 

No map provider could ever pull out a100% accurate map. That's where the map share reporter comes into place. 

Message 4 of 53 (1,050 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

Correct and that is also why we have had so many super suggestions to make Map Share Reporter even better than it is now.  Implementing all these won't come about overnight since some are a 'tall order' and others less difficult to implement - another 'work in progress'.  Wish it were so that we could in a flash (OK let's say 1 year) cover the whole World with digitised (& rectified) maps with say 80% of all POI per Country, but while we do have fair coverage (measured on this World scale) all to achieve this is also 'a work in progress'.

Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
ohnotsureyet

i was staggered to find over decade old turn prohibited data is not correct on the latest map for one of the biggest roads on London. When i cant rely on my sat nav to not turn me onto a major dual carriageway when this is not permitted and is freaking dangerous together with no being able to get any community error corrections i have to ask, whats the point of this unit?

btw..its a 1005 and im talking about the turns telling me i can take the north circluar road a406 from both brent street (right turn) and from golders green road (right turn).

Message 6 of 53 (1,012 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
R_K_Bell

I use the map share correction feature and will continue.  It does drive me a little nuts when I go to the trouble to log into Teleatlas and now Navteq and correct a street address (Namely My home address) and get a support ticket. I follow the support ticket and after a couple of weeks it is corrected on Navteq.  Then a quarter goes by and I get the latest map from TomTom and my address is once again a block away and incorrect.  I also understand TomTom has to test new roads to make sure they work but how long does that take. My address has been my address since july 1, 1989, (that is over 21 years) Georgia DOT started construction on a 2.1 mile stretch of highway that connected two major roads locally called the Windy-Mac Connector. Construction started October 2008. It was completed and open for use August 2011. I see on Google Maps it has been updated and is on their maps. It is not however on TomTom (Just downloaded the latest maps Mar 5, 2012.)

Message 7 of 53 (984 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Trailblazer
TomTomista

Hi community,

it is not our job but the sense of such a community to correct maps very much earlier than official departments are doing. You surely will appreciate my map corrections within my home area You are visiting ...

Please start and continue

Brgds 

Tomtomista

TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition, Central Europe V930.5563, Anwendung 9.510.1234792.2
TomTomHome 2.9.7.3256 on Win7, Avira protected
Message 8 of 53 (969 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
ohnotsureyet

not if they are on a 1000 series unit!

Message 9 of 53 (965 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,595
Solutions: 320

Hi,

TT is still using maps from Teleatlas. They aren't using Navteq maps so correcting map errors on Navteq's maps won't help TT. If using the Map Share Reporter tool the correction gets usually checked within a few weeks. However it might take some time to get the corrections implemented to a map. Also not all corrections are being corrected on the devices even if you are able to receive the corrections due to having a NAV2 device.

It still makes sense to report found errors via the online tool as TT will see that there's something to be corrected and they can check on the area to correct the errors in one of the following maps.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 10 of 53 (954 Views)
Please use plain text.