Apprentice Explorer
jirik

Re: Map of Thailand practically unusable - do not buy it!

Thanks Shorty for following up. We drove from Phuket to Bangkok and the roads were wrongly classified along the way, even around Hua Hin and Bangkok that can hardly be described as remote areas.

Message 11 of 47 (2,459 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

[ Edited ]

Correct - we used the wrong wording there methinks.  However the fact that Roads has been tasked to check classification throughout would exclude any definition of a remote area as specifically as the words connote.  I can't speak to the Thailand map but I can for Mauritius.  There are paved roads that run through sugar cane fields and almost every one was classified incorrectly since there are "Private Road" notices at the start of some but not all.

Edit:  Having mentioned Mauritius let's not take this thread off topic now :smileywink: :: Shorty 

Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
fof

How are these "private roads" treated? I ask because I have seen the same thing on my map. Even though these streets are paved, they are not allowed for the public traffic. Is there a category for these streets?
Message 13 of 47 (2,431 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

Not a category as such - they carry a 'digital gate' (if I could describe it that way) which effectively makes it more difficult for the router to enter the particular roadway in the normal course  - or (most usually) route through a zone if that be the case.  This is a different case than installing a permanent road closure for example

If I could quote a local example where town A is due west of town B with a National Park in between.  Even though the Park may have (excellent) paved roads easily accessible to the router, it has to route in such a manner that it will skirt the Park.  Routing through such a 'gate' will and should take place if your destination or via points are within that zone of course.

If routing is normally permitted and is not, from the map-in-use then we would like to hear of that so as to remove restrictions which could be more in the form of a road closure.

Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
fof

"Even though the Park may have (excellent) paved roads easily accessible to the router, it has to route in such a manner that it will skirt the Park"

This also perfectly well describes the situation of our local university campus, which has one official entry gate, plus three or four streets that also lead there but have gates that are closed (either permanently, or during the night and on weekends). Routing should NOT use these streets. So, how can we report a "skirting" area?
Message 15 of 47 (2,426 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
jirik

Zoe, any update? In the last two weeks I just received one more canned response from TomTom customer support and refusal to refund the defective map of Thailand.

Message 16 of 47 (2,405 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Zoë

Hi Jirik,

I've not got any new updates for you yet - I have sent this on to my colleagues in the US who are looking into this. Once I hear back from them I'll let you know. I'm sorry for the wait in the meantime.

Zoe

Message 17 of 47 (2,386 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

@ fof

Frank in the University case you mentioned the gates that are permanently closed you should report as a normal road closure.  As to gates in and out of a facility where the gate is open for a certain time EVERY day x 7 then list it as a closure (in Other category) but report the times that it is open.  The network designers for that zone could then decide ... but from my experience these are also marked down as closures (but this was for data for another client.  Tom Tom maps & units may have software to cater for partial closures - don't have enough experience to tell - will ask tomorrow when I go to HQ here in RSA)

Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
fof

I can live with those gates marked as "permanently closed" - people who are allowed to enter know the opening hours (every day during the day, but not on weekends), and others should not be routed through these gates anyway.
Message 19 of 47 (2,375 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
jirik

Thanks Zoe. I called TomTom customer support at 866-486-6866 and talked with Jonathan (employee id GAJO0511).

He refused to refund the defective map of Thailand because it was already downloaded and it has been more than 14 days ago. He also offered that I can correct the defective TomTom map myself.

How can anybody know that the map is defective without downloading and using it, and how can the map be returned within 14 days when someone is on a 3 week vacation in a distant country?

He also didn’t care when I told him that I am going to post my experience with TomTom on other discussion and review boards so that other potential customers know.

Message 20 of 47 (2,369 Views)
Please use plain text.