Apprentice Traveler
Beso

Driving with Camping Wagon

Hi !

I miss a function at TomTom, where I can say that I am driving with my camping wagon.

This function should not send me on roads there is not sutebale for driving with camping wagon.

Am I the only one missing this function ?

Message 1 of 10 (696 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Re: Driving with Camping Wagon

If you do a search on this forum on the word 'caravan', you'll find a lot of users wanting this feature :smileywink:. I hope this will be implemented soon, but the people are already asking for a long time now and as of today, unfortunately, this feature is not in the devices yet. We can only hope TomTom will implement this one time ;-).

Message 2 of 10 (694 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

A good question Beso since there are many (+ + +) caravan/camping trailers towed to holiday (& business) sites around the World - perhaps we should try for 'up to 2 ton' trucks here as well..  At the same time (OT but because you've tickled the ting in me that passes for a brain) we could ask a category for trucks above 2 ton capacity to large truck/trailer behemoths .... perhaps not quite the latter but if there is going to be a category like this then a second added should not - in my humble opinion - not be too difficult a task so well try to include one for include the VERY large rigs too.

Probably going to require some considerable software development so have patience

Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Beso

Hi, Shorty

I am glad that you can see the use for this function.

I think there is two thngs you need to concider if camping wagons should navigate as a truck.

1. The camping wagon is a trailer and the weight wil for must of the wagons be over 1 ton, so together with the car the total weight will be more than 2 ton.

2. If a camping wagon shall use a catagory as a truck, there could be some difficulties navigating on the last roads to a camping site, because it will nearly always be a small road for the last kilometers.

I know it is not easy to solve, but I hope you will be able to find a solution.

/Beso

Message 4 of 10 (654 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

You're right Beso.  I was actually looking for a worthwhile split ot categories.  Where I live (on top of a ridge - the Witwatersrand), there are several limits signposted limiting up to 5ton max. - not that they're obeyed.  This is ignored by many and some get away with it but there are a good few wrecks of quite a few horse & trailer rigs that tumble off half way up.and some nose-to-tail pile ups on corners where the slow tail is unexpected.  Using the alternative "Always plan for the slower speed" but that would not cut it too well.

I have put the question and had a reply which essentially says that incorporation of this alternative will take a very long while.  I'm thinking of a method which keeps you away from such slopes (similar to the Toll Road warning given) though I agree with the Boss that creating such a choice  woiuld require (likely) a record of where the 'steep hill/gradients" are.  I know that I have sent in plenty such limitations but only within our region so here's a challenge similar to the one on speed signage let's include data relating to Steep Slope warnings.

Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,608
Solutions: 320

Hi,

@Shorty: Thanks for forwarding that suggestion. I too think this would be a good extension for the devices.

In Germany we've got many roads being either prohibited to use for vehicles weighing more than 3.5 or 7.5 tons. Those are usual weight restrictions. As the new drivers licences for cars are limited to 3.5 tons it would be useful to make the limit just these 3.5 tons for the complete vehicle. But the other problem are indeed many small roads that would need to be evaded but the last road leading to the destination would be needed to used again.

It's not really the weight in Germany causing troubles but to be routed through roads too narrow to make the turns depending on the length of your trailer. Steep slopes may be a problem in some few regions but those will definitely be a less important problem in Germany.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 6 of 10 (647 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

You've added an interesting point Lars.  We are now talking of heavies AND towed vehicles (aka caravans) being routed alternately because of a mass restriction on steep inclines and a similar one that would warn of narrow lanes in the route chosen - just like the 'warn if using a Toll Road' routing preference

Boy - this is a biggie, yet rather important I would say.  To achieve this (in unit, in map and in reporting) is a huge task but there is no harm in putting the idea forward - it's one of the great benefits of a Forum.  Let's keep our hopes high on this one but methinks it's going to take some time.

Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,407
Solutions: 554

And than let's include the serpentines in the mountains, with steep, hair pin turns :smileyhappy:

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 8 of 10 (625 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Regarding caravans/trailers, I also have a suggestion; it's about the maximum allowed speed. I have already written it somewhere else, but not everyone was able to see it there. So here is it again:

1. Better route calculation and ETA for trailer/caravan drivers by taking into account maximum speed

• I think a great idea is to have an option to choose that you are driving with a trailer (or caravan). The software should then automatically take into account the maximum allowed speed for cars with a trailer or caravan in a particular country (as this is not the same for all countries). The software should use this information while calculating an optimal route and for giving a much better prediction for the arrival time. Also, the maximum speed warnings should be adapted automatically in order to correspond to the actual maximum speed allowed for the car with trailer or caravan. 
Message 9 of 10 (618 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Shorty

Good points both.  I've had the very embarrassing situation I got myself into on a hairpin driving a multi wheeled horse and trailer with a 30ton load on it.  Just the mention of the word 'hairpin' makes me blush :smileyembarrassed:

Please use plain text.