Master Explorer
rtb4him

You are FAR TOO EXPENSIVE WITH MAP PRICES..............

Why do you charge so much for map up-dates and new maps? I will rather go and buy a new GPS before I even think of paying the outrages prices for a map up-date or map.

Try and please your customers for a chance instead of your bank account. Warning you may have occasional buyers of your maps but the majority of your customers are not happy and YOU WILL LOSE CUSTOMERS PERIOD.

Message 1 of 165 (7,738 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Icky221

Re: You are FAR TOO EXPENSIVE WITH MAP PRICES..............

I agree with you whole heartedley, they seem to have us "over a barrel"

Message 2 of 165 (7,735 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
eagle3

I agree totally with you on this matter. I too will not buy a map at these prices. They are just ripping us off. Its about time we organised a ban by users on the purchase, by bonding together and everyone refusing to purchase. They would soon bring down the prices if there were no sales ! I'll start it off by refusing to purchase. WHO WILL FOLLOW ?

Message 3 of 165 (7,731 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
dwarren2

I came here to complain about the same thing.  For not much more than a 1 year sub, I can buy anew Tom Tom that has lifetime updates.  So why would I bother to update our current Tom Toms, we have 2.  And roads don't change that much.

Message 4 of 165 (7,727 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
Modbadger

Dear all - I totally agree about map prices - and the so called special offers on them. "Special" meaning "coffer lining for TomTom"

It is, and has been for the two years I've been using my XL.  I have no interntion of buying an update until until the current prices are reduced by at least 50 per cent.

I shall also carefully check the market for my next sat-nav, despite the fact that I like and have had only minor problems with my current TomTom machine.

I therefor join the crusade!:smileyfrustrated:

Message 5 of 165 (7,726 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
eagle3

I'm no computer buff so if somebody knows how to start a PETITION amongs Tomtom users regarding the price of maps then I would give full support as would all the others complaining of the same thing. If enough people joined up and did not buy maps then the price would soon fall by 50%  Even if only half of us resisted an update purchase. WE HAVE THE  POWER, NOT THEM !   It will be interesting to any reply to my suggestion, so instead of complaining, lets do something about it !

Message 6 of 165 (7,724 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
hangarbout

Price of updates

Tom Tom have sent me regular emails inviting me to subscribe to a Map Update package "Now, in February, May, August and November" for £33.75. My Tom Tom is 3 years old, and I fancy an update and would be prepared to pay £10 - £15 for a ONE-OFF update. I really don't need an update every couple of months, as the roads don't change that often. There's no way I'm going to pay £33.75, so I'm sure Tom Tom would like to receive lots of £10's for ONE-OFFs rather than "Not many £33.75" packages. Think about Mr. Tom Tom!

Message 7 of 165 (7,578 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
hangarbout

Tom Tom have sent me regular emails inviting me to subscribe to a Map Update package "Now, in February, May, August and November" for £33.75. My Tom Tom is 3 years old, and I fancy an update and would be prepared to pay £10 - £15 for a ONE-OFF update. I really don't need an update every couple of months, as the roads don't change that often. There's no way I'm going to pay £33.75, so I'm sure Tom Tom would like to receive lots of £10's for ONE-OFFs rather than "Not many £33.75" packages. Think about it Mr. Tom Tom!
Message 8 of 165 (7,588 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
JanInPgh

Re: Price of updates

An update cost 1/3 of what I paid for the Tom Tom, and you can now buy a Garmin with lifetime updates for LESS THAN THE COST OF TWO UPDATES!!  Tom Tom can read just like we can, so they apparently don't care that they are being dramatically outsold by their competition.  And this is THER forum, so if they aren't reading it, shame on them.

That will eventually mean the demise of their company, as I won't try to change them - I'll just be purchasing a Garmin eventually.  It's unfortunate that those of us who did buy them are stuck with just trashing them and moving on.  But hey!  It's their loss in the long run. 

Anyone remember White Castle hamburgers?  They didn't change to meet their customers needs when McDonald's showed up and did such a good job of meeting the customers needs, so where is White Castle now?  in the same place that Tom Tom will eventually be.

Jan in Pittsburgh, PA

Message 9 of 165 (7,573 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
ad_m

Re: Price of updates

[ Edited ]

hangarbout wrote:

Tom Tom have sent me regular emails inviting me to subscribe to a Map Update package "Now, in February, May, August and November" for £33.75. My Tom Tom is 3 years old, and I fancy an update and would be prepared to pay £10 - £15 for a ONE-OFF update. I really don't need an update every couple of months, as the roads don't change that often. There's no way I'm going to pay £33.75, so I'm sure Tom Tom would like to receive lots of £10's for ONE-OFFs rather than "Not many £33.75" packages. Think about Mr. Tom Tom!

TomTom seem to pricing themselves out of the market place.

I too would be willing to buy a one off map update at a reasonable price (and without the hassle of using the clunky TT software on my computer). This current offer seems a bit better than previous offers but as I haven't attempted to go through their buying process after my last experience I cannot comment on the headline price. TT previously offered an upgrade but when attempting to purchase I found out that the upgrade was only valid for a later version of the map that had to be installed on the device and to get to that stage TT suggested I purchase the previous upgrades at a price higher than buying a new TT unit!

These days I prefer the cheaper option of using the “free” navigation on my smart phone. While the interface may not be as good as TT's it does the job. I also use a dedicated App for UK speed cameras that works with my phone.

Message 10 of 165 (7,568 Views)
Please use plain text.