Master Traveler
Sugarswheat
Accepted Solution

What is taking up all of my device's memory?

Hi, can anyone help?

I have an older version of the XL Live, bought about 3 years ago. (There is no slot for an SD card.)

I lent it to my brother who wanted to load a USA map on it. He took off the UK map and tried to put the USA map on, gave up and then gave it back to me with no maps on it at all! Love him.

My problem is that I want to load a map of the UK and a map on central Europe onto it. But I am confused about what is taking up all of the memory on my device.

There are no maps, and about 50mb of voices and post codes etc on it, but it says that there is only 836mb of space!

What is taking up 1900 mb of space that I should have but isn't listed on the 'items installed'?

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7 (326 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,387
Solutions: 554

Re: What is taking up all of my device's memory?

Have you ever made backup of the device? Or do you have the map backed up anywhere?

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 7 (325 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Sugarswheat

Hi, thanks for your reply -

To be honest, I cannot remember - it has been a long time since I last used it and I have changed my computer since then so if I did then the files probably got lost in the changeover.

Would that make a difference to the amount of memory that is being taken up on my device?

Message 3 of 7 (324 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

No, just asked because what I am about to propose requires a backup of the map. If your brother deleted your UK map, instead of backing it up first and you don't have any backup either, most probably you will have to buy a new map. In which case you might be better off selling this old device and get a new one with free lifetime maps and memory card slot. Like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_98...

Would you mind to list the folders you have on the device's storage? I believe the maps are there yet, unless it was all mixed up. Worst case, try this:

1. Save everything from the device/card, using Explorer (or Finder on Mac), include all the files (hidden as well). It is also known as a manual backup: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13354/

2. Then format the internal storage (or memory card, depending which one you use) of your device. Use the COMPLETE format, not the quick. http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12412/

3. Go to TT HOME, Manage my "DEVICE", delete everything from the hard drive and try the update again (in the new TomTom HOME app it is on the second page). At this point you might have to disconnect the device a few times and switch it ON/OFF to enable it to setup some important stuff.

4. Copy your voices and post codes back to the device (also the maps if that didn't download either).

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 4 of 7 (320 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Sugarswheat

Brilliant, thanks for the advice, I will try that and let you know how I got on!

Sounds like it might take a while...!

Message 5 of 7 (316 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Sugarswheat

It worked! Thank you so much, absolutely brilliant!
Message 6 of 7 (300 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Yay :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 7 (298 Views)
Please use plain text.