Apprentice Traveler
craigaclark1

How Long is a products useful life?

How many years is a products useful life considered to be?

Message 1 of 8 (952 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
Badger2604

Re: How Long is a products useful life?

Craig ~ I have a Go 300 ( ! ) which I purchased 4 or 5 years ago and it still gets me to and from anywhere I need with the appropriate updates and its in daily use.

The battery is the original one aswell . I've tended to let the battery discharge every time and then recharge to full so maybe that has helped .

I suppose it all depends on how you treat the device . Dropping it  or getting wet will obviously shorten the life span .

The only drawback with T T seems to be their software and incorporating map changes .

Regards

'Badger'

Message 2 of 8 (943 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
craigaclark1

Do you know how long it is considered for the ones they are selling now with free map updates for life? It says as long as the GPS products useful life. I was wondering if that was 5-6 years or less.

Message 3 of 8 (938 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
Badger2604

Craig , as I said ,'it all depends on how you treat the device ' .

On this side of the 'Pond' we dont have the benefit of free lifetime map updates . In theory that side of the device needs no maintenance , just 'log on ' and get updated . The device itself is only as good as its treated . When not in use I keep mine in a Tom Tom  bag designed for the purpose .

Technology has come on in leaps and bounds over the last couple of years and after all is said and done any GPS device is basically a computer at heart capable of receiving signals .

I've not needed to replace my Go 300 so I've no experience of the newer models . If your travel is only going to be in North America then they are the only maps you will need . No requirement for  Europe etc

Were it not for the job I now do in retirement then I doubt I would have a GPS device but it makes my life much easier .

If you need a GPS device for work or pleasure then go for it and enjoy maybe 5 years or more of not getting as lost as you would be if you didnt have one .

'Badger' 

Message 4 of 8 (931 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Bilal

You are not answering the question. What does Tomtom consider the userful lifecycle to be? This is pretaining to their lifetime map guarantee on the Tomtom units.

Message 5 of 8 (761 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
Badger2604

Bilal , Good Evening , I take it that you do understand that most of the replies you get on this Forum are fellow Tom Tom users and not employees of the Company ( Watch out for responses from Ditte or Zoe for that ) as such we can only give you our experiences with the various devices .

As I've said 'I can only go on what I've experienced with my GO 300 '  and I've had no bother with the actual device or the maps in the last 5 / 6 years .

In the USA and Canada you have a lifetime maps option ~ we do not have that in the UK so I cannot comment on their veracity .

Regards

Badger

Message 6 of 8 (756 Views)
Please use plain text.
laz45
Kudos: 353

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure there's an actual time frame for what we(or they) call

useful life.Go to this link,read section 7   Subscriptions,

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/legal/terms-and-conditions/

TomTom states that useful life is the period that your device is serviceable and/or supportable by TomTom

pretty much means means as long as your gps works and they have active support fot it.

Keep in mind,new devices suppoerted by MyTomTom are new and supported under TomTom's NEW support structure.

Considering this has been a massive change in everything I doubt your new gps will outlive support for it

As far as TomTom Home is concerned my bet is we're going to see it's end of days for new content or at least it will wind up being limited as the new generation of devices are supported by a webkit(web based)support structure.

Basic copyright and product right legal terms,as long as it works and they support it you'll recieve 4 new maps each year until it croaks or TomTom nolonger purchases maps for it...

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star

Go Live 1535M
App 12.035.991250.84
USA_Can_Mex map v895.4454
MyTomTom v3.1.0.530
Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
Internet Explorer 9

Message 7 of 8 (737 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler