Apprentice Traveler
Luis_Vaz

Going abroad

Good evening,

I´m in Portugal and I have the Tomtom One XL with maps of Europe.

Next month I'll go to Mozambique for 3 years and would like to use my TT there.

I searched maps from Mozambique but I couldn't find none. Only southern Africa that covers poorly Mozambique.

My questions are:

- is there maps that cover Mozambique and SAR only?

- how should I buy them, if exists?

- is preferable to buy a card with the map, or replace the one I have actually?

Thank you, in advance, for the assistance

Luis 

Message 1 of 4 (1,232 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Zoë

Re: Going abroad

Hi Luis_Vaz,

If you'd like to use your TomTom in Mozambique, you are correct and you'll have to buy a map with the coverage of the area. I've checked for you and our Southern Africa map has connecting roads of Mozambique, Angola, Botswana, Malawi,  Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

We don't have a map that just covers Mozambique unfortunately.

The Southern Africa map size is 120.4 MB, so if you have this much space on your card already, you don't need to buy a new SD card for your TomTom.

Thanks,

Zoe

Message 2 of 4 (1,219 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Luis_Vaz

Zoe, thank you for your assistance.

One complementar question (forgive me but I'm a real "nerd" in this matters) - it's possible to buy the card with the map? or should I insert the card in the device and buy and download the map to the card?

Thank you,

best regards

Luis

Message 3 of 4 (1,198 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Zoë

Hi Luis_Vaz,

No problem - it's not possible to buy the African maps on SD card unfortunately, we do offer maps on SD card (see here) but the maps are only of Europe and North America.

The reason for this is the maps of the EU and North America are huge files to download, so in many cases it is easier to get them on an SD card, if your device is compatible. In comparison, the African maps are smaller files, so they should download quickly to your computer.

You can download the maps to your existing card if you have enough space. If not, you have two options;

• You can move the European/Iberia map from your TomTom and store it on your computer, thereby making enough space for Africa, or
  • You can buy a blank SD card and just have the African map on it - then you can carry the two cards and switch between the two.

If you do want another card to put the maps on, you can buy an SD card from any electronical retailer in your area - please see the following link for the compatible SD card sizes for your TomTom.

http://www.tomtom.com/2634

Hope this helps!

Zoe

Message 4 of 4 (1,189 Views)
Please use plain text.