Apprentice Explorer
marko13

COST OF UPGRADE????

Went to Update map today on my GO730 oriented for just US.

TomTom tells me it going to be $65 for a new US map reload. My feeling is $65 is too **bleep** much money for something that should be LIFETIME support with unit. The original GPS was $200-300.

Even if it would have been $20-$30 bucks, I would have not blinked an eye.

To elaborate a little more I have upgraded the maps in the past for (as I recall) $30 or so.

Not real HAPPY with tomtom right now!!

COST OF MAP UPGRADES "EXCESSIVE"!!!

Message 1 of 31 (10,738 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Ouille

Re: COST OF UPGRADE????

Hi Marko13, have the same problem and feel disapointed...

as your's in US dollar, mine is in Euros... for same amount and even more!!!

8.95 per 3 months for un update on my western Europe map is 35,80 a year for 4 updates... seems correct, but when you want to do so, it includes an upgrade of 31,80 Euros...

Both makes 67,80 which can not be bought separatelly...

There is a promotion at garmin for the same standart product for 185 Euros at Garmin, the nüvi 2340 LMT (Réference Produit: 010-00902-1G) which is lifetime maps and trafic update for free.

I've seen for commerces in my area to get this upgrade and at Tomtom through dealers it's even worth, they told me about 80-85 Euros...

They suggest directly the Garmin and it's easy to follow there idea as their stands makes +/- 75% garmin against 20-25% Tomtom...

I've even hear a comment from a dealer as they are so expensive, they encourage people to dowload illigaly through the net... Hope they'll quikly understand their nonsese as before vacations, it might be too late to react.

Message 2 of 31 (10,729 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Jim6058

I posted this following your post:

I am one unhappy mapper.

The update for my six-month-old unit was wrongly applied. I though I had downloaded the latest map when I created my account in December 2010. Apparently it did not download and install correctly or I got the wrong version, because it was out of date when I next tried to update the maps. Now that I discover that, the map department refuses to give me the version I needed to update the map (for January) so that I could get the February and May versions at the proper cost.

This is theft.  I may be at fault for not updating my unit on time, but to refuse to give me something that I paid for in December is criminal. I am angry at TomTom's policy (and not the Cust. Service Rep.) for ignoring my need and demanding their excessive update "fine."

I will not pay this extortion. As I said, my unit is six months old and already outdated. They want too much money to keep up to date, but that is not a selling feature you hear before you buy. If TeleAtlas knows how much these people are charging for what they provide, they should be outraged.

The rest of the internet blog world will hear of my complaint as well. When these maps spoil, the GPS goes in a drawer and I will buy a GARMIN before I use another TOMTOM product.

Message 3 of 31 (10,710 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Jim6058

Ouille:

When I worked for TeleAtlas in 2001, their corporate offices were located in Belgium. Please walk over to their office and tell them they suck.

Jim6058

Message 4 of 31 (10,709 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
leejsl2

Hello all TomTom GPS owners,

We all live in a business world that we are being ripped off by the corporations. They lure everyone of us to buy their product at the first time, then they want us to continue to buy their new products. Instead of honoring their loyal customers (us) by offering upgrades at a price low enough to encourage keeping older units, they jack up the price of upgrade to make us consider buying new unit instead. This way they can sell more newer products. THIS IS A REALLY RIP OFF! THIS IS A DISCRIMINATION TO EXISTING CUSTOMERS!

Message 5 of 31 (10,621 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
sjlarner

I have the same problem!  I can buy a NEW GPS cheaper than I can upgrade the maps!  I won't buy another TomTom

Message 6 of 31 (10,582 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Satellitecentra

I have a Tom Tom ONE , and like others went to update the maps , they want over 71 bucks for maps an updates , or 49.99 for a single map update ,

Guess what , THEY ARE NOT GETTING IT !

I can buy a NEW UNIT cheaper than the map upgrades

thanks soooooo much TomTom , and goodbye to another customer

gotta love your Biusness plan , RIP CUSTOMERS OFF ,

you guys will go far

Message 7 of 31 (10,567 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
YepGyped

Like the rest of you, map upgrades cost too much.  Like I  responded in a Tom Tom survey.  use it for 2 years then trash it.  Found Garmin that has lifetime maps and traffic.  Going to buy this weekend.  Then it will be So Long Tom Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 8 of 31 (10,544 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
MichiganMan

Tom Tom's map update costs are way out of line.  I'm not paying the money, not when I can get a brand new garmin with lifetime maps and lifetime traffice updates for $139 USD.  Garmin has a better reputation in the usa anyway for map accuracy so it's off to the garage sale with Mr. Tom Tom.  I only paid $95 USD on Black Friday 3 years ago (XL 330).

Message 9 of 31 (10,495 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler

I'm still having trouble finding out what the cost of a one-time update of my US maps.

Message 10 of 31 (10,276 Views)
Please use plain text.