Novice Explorer
marvinloveless

tomtom VIA 1500

Just wanted to warn everyone out there considering to purchase the VIA 1500. 

The Maps do not installing after downloading there is a problem with the software for this product. 

Additionally, Customer Support does not have an answer as to what to do.  After two full days of me trying to the trick and steps and any repeated steps instructed by the Customer support of tomtom, I was instruct to just live with it or return it the Navigation system to the store and get my Money Back.

I took option #2 and exchange this unfinished product with a Mature Great working Garmin Nuvi 1350, which offer the same benefits as the Via but $20 cheaper.

Goodbye tomtom, I will never purchase a product from tomtom again.  Absolutely ammature in the early release of this product and the very poor and un-professional customer support.  

For all those reading this post before purchasing your tomtom, I suggest you give the Garmin a try, you will not be disappointed.  everything worked as promise in the advertisement, the first time, supper simple and only took an hour to update the Maps.  

Message 1 of 23 (10,988 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
LarryS

Re: tomtom VIA 1500

I had this problem also. I called customer service and after about 10 minutes they had my maps activated. It was a hassle but what in life isn"t

Message 2 of 23 (10,714 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
sgrad

Re: tomtom VIA 1500 & 1530

I agree whole heartedly. Same problem, with same results. They released this before support was available. Besides not updating maps, there is NO way to back & restore favorites, cannot add features advertised. If I wanted to Beta test a product I should have been compensated, and TOLD that was happening.

Please inform others to either switch to some other brand, or delay purchase until the proper support software is available and functioning.

Message 3 of 23 (10,706 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Barry_Flynn

I have never been more disappointed in a product.  Received it as a gift and want to re-gift to an enemy.  I have reverted to my TomTom One XLS with outdated maps.  I lost all my custom voices.  I can't do itinerary planning.  I can't receive or submit map corrections which is great because the "IQ Routing" (A really bad joke) totally misses an interstate interchange on one of my common routes.  Great job TomTom!  I'll never buy another one, and I refuse to update the maps on the One XLS because you'll not get a dime of my money.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Customer

Message 4 of 23 (9,941 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
outdoorsman

I have vast (12 years) experience and knowledge with GPS units, and I have professional experience in Software support, and I do not recommend these Tomtoms for anyone that has no experience in either (if I had it to do all over, I would have stayed with a Garmin).  I purchased a tomtom via 1500 tm for my wife on December 24, 2011, because I thought that the "life time traffic" would be great for her commute through the Dallas, Texas traffice ( I still don't know how that works on a tomtom... easy to use on the my cheaper Christmas Garmin).  I have several GPS units (I fish with a Hummingbird 979cisi, and I have two Magellan Meridian Marine portal units), but I wanted my wife to have something so we can find where all the kids sports are be performed.  My wife purchased me a Garmin unit (Garmin Nuvi 1350) on Sale at Bass Pro Shops for $30 cheaper and gave it to me for Christmas (so we now have two Car units with Traffic).  I thought the tomtom was a more customer frieldly unit, nice packaging, but my wife refused to take her tomtom out of the box, so on January 13, I tried to use the unit to get to a wrestling match in Murphy, Texas East of Plano, Texas  (actual location 4 miles South of "South Fork Ranch" from the 1970's tv Show 'Dallas').  I entered the address, and I ended up 2 miles east (almost due east) of the school.  So I decided that maybe the maps needed to be updated. 

I have Verizon DSL, not the quickest download, but I download 3 and 4 gig files daily as a support Rep. for one of the largest Software companies on the planet.. The Tomtom rep. stated that these maps are only 1Gig.  Today, starting at 9:00am, I created a TomTom account, plugged in the tomtom to a USB port, provided the promotional code SEV...D5, and it indicated it would be over 3 hours to complete the download.  3 hours later, the tomtom account on my computer indicated complete,  and the tomtom was powered off.  I turned on the tomtom, and it indicated it couldn't locate a satelite, so I turned it off and stepped outside.  I reattempted to power on the unit, and I receive the message "No Maps Found"... :smileysad:

I call 1-866-486-6866, and speak to a representative, and he attempts to work with me to again download and install maps.  However, I am forced to install Google Chrome, and make it my default brower.  Then I have to "uninstall my TomTom", from my windows XP operating system, and then reinstall, so that when I visit www.tomtom.com/getstarted and download, it will come up with Google Chrome. We then go to "my tom tom" -> Check New Items, and it indicates that this device is connected and 'up to date'.  The engineer then states that they will send me a new tomtom, or if I don't want to wait, return it to the store for another one (I return it to the store, I'm not getting another Tomtom unit).  I stated that is unacceptable... He indicated that he could recommend that I hold the power button for 20 seconds, until the drum beat, and then re-download (took another 3 hours 20 minutes) and try again.  I am given the support ref# 120115-001531. 

I had plenty of time to run to Bass Pro Shops (they were having a 'Boat Show' with many vendors on site, and they had some nice Garmin and Magellan units (I am not fond of Magellan and will never purchase another product ) and spoke to their counter rep. Without telling him my story, I asked him about tomtom units. He indicated they sold them, but they were being returned with complaints that the units are 2 miles off with respect to final destinations.  

I return after 3 horus and 30 minutes (so we are now over 6 hours of download time), and there is an indication that the download is complete, but the GPS still indicates No Maps Found. 

I again call tomtom support, reach Benny, and give her the support ref#. Her response the Maps didn't install on the GPS (oh, really?) and I have to download them again. I have to hold down the power button, for 20 seconds (thud, da dump), and the tomtom account indicates that it will be another 30 minutes to download. (maybe this means upload to the tomtom?).

It still shows not maps found!!!    What a piece of trash.  I have downloaded maps to both of my Magellan fields units (I don't recommended Magellan as their support may be worse than this - No fishing hots spots as promised), and updated the OS on my Hummingbird (maps and side scan feature), but I have never had the complications that I experienced with tomtom. 

You should not download the old software (the maps) to update the unit, before knowing that the new software was uploaded to the unit and properly installed.  This unit is dead!!, and with the receipt, it is going back.

Message 5 of 23 (9,572 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Rpck

My old Garmon Nuvi needed a map update. Instead, I bought a a Via 1500 with lifetime maps. What a mistake! Two days and two calls to tech support later, the maps still won't load. My solution is to box up the unit and take it back to the store. Garmon, here I come.
Message 6 of 23 (9,318 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
millertyme52

Just a reply on my tom tom via 1500Tm  What a piece of junk. I have returned one as I could not get it to down load and had HUGE problem down loading my Tom Tom application onb my Mac. It has gotten me lost on several occasions and when it does get me to a destination it always says reached destination on your left and it is on the right or vice versa. Also could not bring up points of interest on recent trip as we were looking for a gas station and could not bring it up. I will be returning my GPS for the second time and getting anything but a Tom Tom. I also do not understand why you have to have different account if you have more than one unit.  Garmin allows more than one device to same account. I wish it would have worked as I like the built in dash/window mount but that is all that is good about this unit,

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS DEVICE 

Message 7 of 23 (8,920 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
petegotagarmin

[ Edited ]

I've owned a tomtom go720 for several years and its been pretty good to me then one day out of the blue it got stuck in an emergency mode and kept trying to direct me to the local police department , nomatter what I did powering it off and on it stayed in emergency mode, well recently I purchased a tomtom via 1500 from the local walmart for two days straight I could not get a signal no matter where I went still no signal, I downloaded the mytomtom program and followed the prompts and the mytomtom would not recognize my device, finally took it back for a refund and went to the local bestbuy and got a garmin nuvi 50lm and it has been working great for me, it gets a signal super fast and seems pretty user friendly. the tomtom however would not get any signal could never hook up to mytomtom home page, and had a feature that seemed terrible to me, the suction cup is actually apart of the GPS unit, instead of being detachable, what a stupid design flaw so every time you try to detach it you would have to mess with the suction cup ,forget sliding the GPS in your pocket because it has a giant suction cup attached to it which allows it to get dirty or damaged, REALLY BAD DESIGN ,TERRIBLE SIGNAL , TERRIBLE SUPPORT WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

Message 8 of 23 (8,890 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
redbone

I cannot understand what all the whining is about. Nor can I understand how a person with "12 years experience and knowledge with GPS units, and professional experience in Software support" is not able to navigate (he he, get it?) navigate a simple GPS setup. I do not sit at my screen waiting for the miracle to happen, I start the download and walk away. To complain about this is like Liz Taylor screaming at a microwave to HURRY UP!!! Now this 12 years experience and knowledge with GPS units, and professional experience in Software support person has me a bit on the ROTF LMAO. Let's make this simple for Non IT/GPS savvy people. When a new product comes out, thousands of people across the USA are setting up their device. The server that TomTom set up for this, is not that complicated or extremely large BUT! it does have to handle all this traffic. If Tom Tom designed a server to make this process faster during the initial distribution, naturally we would have to absorb some of the cost. Well.....I for one thought the cost was reasonable and the lengthy download ? well It just made the anticipation of using my  Via 1500 more exciting. I have been using this unit flawlessly since Dec 2012, till this past week when I could not get a GPS signal. It took all of 5 minutes to update the glitch and I am up and running again. Look, it is a good unit and this is my 5th GPS and my 1st TomTom. This  Via 1500 is by far the best of any. problems with equipment and software happen and are easy fixes for any company, well not APPLE, they are a mess in that department. My advice to people about this thread regarding the  Via 1500? don't trust anyone who opens the message with grandeur of experience, they more often than not, have no credentials at all. Especially when they claim to 'download 3 and 4 gig files daily as a support Rep. for one of the largest Software companies on the planet.' (I do more than that at home on a weekend). Better yet, why is a support rep doing down loads? LMAO Why is person who has ' professional experience in Software support' still using Windows XP in 2012? Surely a person with this much experience can afford Windows 7 Professional. I bought 6 copies of  Win 7 Pro for my 4 boys , my laptop and desktop PC in early 2011 when I was in my 4th SISCO class. Anyway, it is a good GPS. One final note, the user 'Outdoorsman' claims to have tried his TomTom Via 1500 on the Jan 13th which sent him somewhere other than were he wanted to go. How can that happen when you cannot use this unit "OUT OF THE BOX" but must register first with an account containing information in the box. Outdoorsman registered on the 15th of January, 2 days after the trip. could he have used his customer support rep magic want? who knows. 

Message 9 of 23 (8,269 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
JimmyITCS

I too own a VIA 1500. Works great. My only complaint is the inability to get more POIs or update my speed cameras. A bug for sure, but web site side, not device side.
Message 10 of 23 (7,788 Views)
Please use plain text.