Novice Explorer
PerWei

Re: compatibility with linux Desktop

Hi Linux friends !

We're now in 2012 and as far as I know TomTom has made no statements whatsoever of supporting the OS that they have based their sucessful (up untill now...) business on. This an utterly disgraceful shame!!!

I wish I could acquire enough shares to be able to raise my voice on their annual general meeting and throw the existing Board of Directors !! 

Message 51 of 141 (1,570 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,135
Solutions: 512

Tomtom is not going to make Linux software, as you would be able to backup your files and such easily by mounting the units internal drive. It is none of their intention to make you to do that, otherwise you won't buy their new unit in case yours dying after the warranty finished.

On another note...Linux is an opened software. There must be someone who knows about programming in Linux, just needs maybe some capital to do the job.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 52 of 141 (1,559 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
trimleyman

I have had the following issue with Samsung also . Have a Galaxy tab which ran android 2.2 and have updated to 2.3  . under both it would lock or crash under navigation thus my purchase of a TomTom which also runs on a linux kernal. I was shocked to find on this forum that TomTom have the afront to use the kernal yet do not support linux compatibility .  Supporting linux should be of upmost importance to TomTom, for without linux where would they be? Kickin cans in the street one suspects.

Message 53 of 141 (1,552 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
garwic

Just bought my Via125 last friday.

I'm happy with how it works.

The thing I don't like is that I have to install and configure a computer with Ms-XP just for updating the Europe card on the Via.

Al our computers run on Ubuntu 11.10, we switched to linux about 8 years ago.

Tried TomTomHome with wine, works but the Nav is not approachable even if a wired connection 2 is being made.

Tried VirtualBox, USB is detected and TomTom driver installed but the HomeLatest fails to install.

If you can make your Nav being updated by a Windows or Mac version how hard can it than be to make a Linux version.

"De belastingdienst" can do this so why can't TomTom , especially when the Nav software is based on Linux.

I'm not looking for "hacking or tweeking" but just to easy update my Nav.

Message 54 of 141 (1,485 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Noid

While Tomtom home for Linux would be nice, I can copy the maps to my device just fine without it. If only I could download those new maps... Just give me a link to the files!
Message 55 of 141 (1,469 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,135
Solutions: 512

@Noid: It is not the map only. It has to be activated as well, and every unit has a unique ID. Tomtom Home is doing the activation also.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 56 of 141 (1,463 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Noid

True, but that used to be done by typing in a number. I don't understand why they removed that feature. Making things more easy for windows users does not have to mean making it impossible for Linux users.
Message 57 of 141 (1,460 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
grumpyoldgit

Just like to add myself as a Ubuntu 11.10 user who would like to access TomTom Home on his computer rather than having to get decrepit laptop out of the roof every time I want to update.
Message 58 of 141 (1,395 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
djrose007

I've just changed to Ubuntu Linux OS and finding problems loading TomTom Home. Looking on the forum I see I'm not alone but I'm afraid that's not a lot of consolation.

I'm not surprised though, the majority will be using Windows or Mac OS on laptops and desktops but Linux isn't unheard of and I'm sure it wouldn't take a great deal of development to make them compatible.

Even Nortel Networks moved their PABX systems to Linux because of the extra security available on the Linux OS, that was before they went bust but I'm sure there's not connection between the two!

Message 59 of 141 (1,340 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
ironcold

And again a very disappointed linux user. Tomtom: epic fail!

Message 60 of 141 (1,292 Views)
Please use plain text.