Neophyte Traveler
dawino6260

Re: compatibility with linux Desktop

I just did it this afternoon -- had a bear getting wine to recognize my USB ports and then my Tom Tom's (9 of the **bleep** things each with their own account because they dont have the common sense to know that people actually dont like setting up a new email account for each gps owned) -- Meanwhile I'm running Opensuse 12 on the machine in question -- I ported over the drivers into wine in about 20 minutes after I finally figured out how to get wine to access my USB ports.

It does work - I hate windows (even wine) but it does work.... hopefully they will come out with a native linux app in the future  to save us all hours of hassles

Message 41 of 141 (1,218 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
dawino6260

as of today I got it working with opensuse 12 -- took a bit of tinkering -- Had to get wine to see my USB ports then port the driver for the TomTom's (9 of the durn things) -- I get an error message but it's updating fine -- My Suse 11 Enterprise boxes and my opensuse 11.3 boxes the result was no joy

Message 42 of 141 (1,245 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
MikeN

Would you be so kind to give us a description what exactly you did? How did you "port" the TomTom driver? Cheers Mike
Message 43 of 141 (1,224 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
dawino6260

I have a 'modified' version of the old Mark Williams C Source debugger - makes life easy for this sort of thing -- I'm working on a script to do it without having to de-compile the official tom tom stuff (to avoid legal hassles) but it's a back burner sort of a thing -- I'll pop it on my suse blog (same handle) if I get it to work on more than one distro

Message 44 of 141 (1,212 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
vertigus1

Here is another vote for a Linux version of Home. I use Linux Mint 11 which is based on ubuntu.

Message 45 of 141 (1,206 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
moz1959

The feedback I have been given on the problem is quote:

"At TomTom we take all customer comments, feedback and suggestions seriously and therefore we have passed your comments on to our 2nd Line team, Product Management and Marketing Team."

End quote. And later when I replied: "Ouch! Not the mythical 2nd Line team, Product Management and Marketing Team.
That part of the phrase has been offered up verbatim on several prior requests, and in each case, nothing further ever eventuated." they came back with:

"I am glad to see your concern into this issue. Please be assured that I have really spoken to the Senior Department regarding the feedback you had given in the previous email. I have explained them as to what really the query is. Hopefully in the future updates w get see some development on this subject."

That was back on October 24th 2011, and as usual I have received nothing back from these mythical teams.

Recently TomTom have announced staff level cutbacks, so I doubt that any development for a Linux version of TomTom Home is likely to surface any decade soon.

I feel a bit sorry for the TomTom support staff who are caught between irate customers and the decision makers at TomTom HQ.

HQ are dropping the ball badly by not providing any response, and would seem to be totally uncaring toward their customers.

Even if development work IS going on, the total lack of feedback is likely to kill off TomTom before anything comes down the pike.

Still royally brassed off at TomTom.

Moz1959.

Message 46 of 141 (1,116 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
fateepat

I have been a Linux user for years and I don't use Windows unless I have to. What no de-frag? huh? lol

Message 47 of 141 (1,105 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Witsinfr

Joining the list of upset Linux users - come on TomTom we really need your help here - I had no choice previously to use TomTom gear (Company issued equipment) but I was expected to keep it up to date.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TomTom XXL (Europe mapping) // Garmin nuvi 255w (replaced by the XXL)
Message 48 of 141 (1,074 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
DaleAnderson

Dear TomTom, I have packed away my TomTom due to lack of support from yourselves on the Linux desktop. From now on I will only use my Android and will never again buy a TomTom. it's a pity because I bought my TomTom thinking that you would support the platform you develop on and benefit from.
Message 49 of 141 (1,064 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
OldNat

I think this forum thread is not monitored/read at all. Or if it is, it is willently ignored. It is a SHAME that a company develops on and benefits from OUR efforts and does cut us off the stream. There is not even a need of development or porting of the bleeeep tomtomhome or mytomtom software, for it IS ready (and has to be ported to MAC and Windows!) but they just FIGHT against freedom and just serve Apple and Microsoft deeply bowing and devoted. It is a pity, for the devices, maps, sw was good. I really liked my tomtom. But also I never ever buy a tomtom again. It is just to get sick what they are doing here.
Message 50 of 141 (1,054 Views)
Please use plain text.